GDT: game fifty six...existential doom edition

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So you and I consistently disagree on almost everything. This time around
1. “All the yelling” - you must be referring to that total 6-10 word exchange. That one time.
2. “The drawing board” - didn’t see it. You may be right.
3. “MacK and many others have given up” - on a quick glance I see us outshooting the other teams the last 11 out of 16 games. Sometimes 2:1. I don’t see that as a team giving up.
Regardless what we say on this topic, I do believe a coaching change is needed, otherwise this team is gonna continue setting all kinds of records but on a negative side of things. The 48 point season which was historically bad, and now this. Both seasons happening under the same coach probably means it's time for a change

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Nothing more to say:

giphy.gif

Johnson called him out in the post game

...and so it begins. This team is done. On all aspects. Time to pull the trigger and clean the house.

Reactions: shadow1

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
...and so it begins. This team is done. On all aspects. Time to pull the trigger and clean the house.

Who to trade? I'm thinking Kerfoot, Jost, Soderberg, Barrie if he won't commit at good value. EJ should play out his contract.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Team was better, coach was worse (not a shame against Babcock). I saw many things I outright loved. Girard was fantastic, Greer was very good and looked great at the end of the 2nd period when he played with MacKinnon and Rantanen. I'm also slowly falling in love with Nieto. Goalies are not to blame for any of the goals imo and while I still think Jost should have stayed in the AHL for the remainder of the season he had some good moments he should be able to build on.
Can't wait to get rid of Nemeth and Barrie at this point. We need guys to replace them, though.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Sakic thought the young guys like Jost, Compher and Kerfoot would step up but they didn't. Also, we didn't get anything from Ghetto and Wilson. That's a whole lot of underperforming forwards in one roster.
How has Compher not stepped up? Many times he's been our 4th best forward and this although players like him naturally take a longer time to fully develop and although our offensive system makes it difficult for him to use some aspects of his skill set. I neither think Jost is underperforming. He's just not there yet which isn't surprising (although I had higher expectations as well). Kerfoot, Ghetto and Wilson are very "meh", though.

Reactions: AvsFan29

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Probably to nice to be a GM for longevity, if not nice then not aggressive enough for an NHL GM. Someone with little less patience would at least get rid of the coach to try anything to stop the bleeding
IF he hires a really good coach in the summer it'll be worth the wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: the_fan

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
How has Compher not stepped up? Many times he's been our 4th best forward and this although players like him naturally take a longer time to fully develop and although our offensive system makes it difficult for him to use some aspects of his skill set. I neither think Jost is underperforming. He's just not there yet which isn't surprising (although I had higher expectations as well). Kerfoot, Ghetto and Wilson are very "meh", though.
Wilson isn't worth the money, but he's got OK numbers and gives a shit

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Well if you are going to be bad might as well be terrible and reap the rewards at the draft. OTT 31st and COL 23rd. It's basically two years of tanking done in one season.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Well if you are going to be bad might as well be terrible and reap the rewards at the draft. OTT 31st and COL 23rd. It's basically two years of tanking done in one season.
We can do better than 23rd, don't sell us short. We can pump that number up to a 27th or 28th.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I really, really do think we're going to be sitting on two Top 5 picks post lottery.

We're a train wreck that's sliding down the standings ridiculously fast, and Ottawa isn't any better.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Who to trade?

Another question: Who takes these players?

Varly
Ghetto
Nieto
Dries
Bourque
Kerfoot
Barbs
Nemeth

I only see Varly or Kerfoot with any value. For all the others? Take what you get. Even some late rounders.

Barrie, if Sakic decides to trade, should be done in the offseason.

The coming offseason will decide if we end up like Edmonton, or get our shit together.

Last edited:

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Well that had to be the 20th...something game we lost because they had the better goalie and they had the better Special Teams. Our 1st line is cold and lines 2-4 are not good enough to win us games.

Things need to change but that probably doesn't happen this season. We have to wait till the next one.

And that f***ing sucks.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Another question: Who takes these players?

Varly
Ghetto
Nieto
Dries
Bourque
Kerfoot
Barbs
Nemeth

I only see Varly or Kerfoot with any value. For all the others? Take what you get. Even some late rounders.

Barrie, if Sakic decides to trade, should be done in the offseason.

The coming offseason will decide if we end up like Edmonton, or get our **** together.

They are all dead wood , except for maybe Kerfoot, Nemeth and Varly. As for the rest they dont have great values. At best you're gonna have a 3rd/4th for them ... at best

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I have one question. Why does Landeskog carry the puck on the big line instead of Mack? I swear, Mack dont even have the puck at all lately. Probably one of Bednars genius ideas.

I know i'm repeating myself but since the bench incident vs Calgary, Mack is nowhere near the player that he was.

I'm sitting in my lazyboy chair eating cheetos and i saw a problem right away . Can't believe that the Avs didnt see the same thing .

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I know i'm repeating myself but since the bench incident vs Calgary, Mack is nowhere near the player that he was.

I'm sitting in my lazyboy chair eating cheetos and i saw a problem right away . Can't believe that the Avs didnt see the same thing .

Its all part of Sakic's masterplan of tanking the season and ending up with two top picks in the draft.

Or maybe he doesn't want to go to his bosses and ask for permission to fire the coach he gave an extension to just a few months ago.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I just hope Hughes or Kakko aren't another Nolan Patrick and Hischier. Maybe someone who follows them can put my mind at ease and tell me they're better. I've only watched both Hughes and Kakko few games in this last iihf, and can't really say much only watching couple of games.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I just hope Hughes or Kakko aren't another Nolan Patrick and Hischier. Maybe someone who follows them can put my mind at ease and tell me they're better. I've only watched both Hughes and Kakko few games in this last iihf, and can't really say much only watching couple of games.

That's still two legit NHL forwards. Gives them a total of about 9.

Just need to get two NHL level goaltenders and 3 good defenders and we'll see a decent team next year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad