GDT: game fifty six...existential doom edition

James G

Jan 1, 2018
It is like that dude who can always tell you what is wrong, but always stops short of offering a solution. We all love that guy right?

Even Nolan tells us what he thinks should be done to fix the problem.

For sure. Like tonight - “heh guys were outshooting the Leafs x2 while 5x5. Heh Compher make sure you don’t get a double minor in the other zone away from the puck” .....come on. I mean that would be the solution for tonight.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
For sure. Like tonight - “heh guys were outshooting the Leafs x2 while 5x5. Heh Compher make sure you don’t get a double minor in the other zone away from the puck” .....come on. I mean that would be the solution for tonight.
You know what should have happened after that penalty? A good ole fashion benching for the rest of the game. He would have benched Z but Compher doing it is ok I guess. Accountability. Jared lacks it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
You know what should have happened after that penalty? A good ole fashion benching for the rest of the game. He would have benched Z but Compher doing it is ok I guess. Accountability. Jared lacks it.
He was back out in under a minute

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
ForcefulDeficientEnglishsetter-size_restricted.gif

Kind of my theme tonight for coping with this shit. Really f***ed up humor..

We all have our coping mechanisms, don't judge.

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Didnt even miss a shift for taking a dumb penalty that cost the game. If im Z im telling Jared to do his job.

Fair point if you believe they both take dumb penalties at the same frequency level.
Distinctly different than the original post saying Bednar can only recognize the issue after the game is over. Pretty sure he recognized that one instantly.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
People who don't think Sakic is too nice to be a GM, in such a horrible losing stretch like the Avs are going through right now, how do you explain Sakic not only refusing to make a coaching change, but at least he should make some kind of a roster shake up, even if it's not a big one, like getting rid of players who haven't done much in a long time like Nieto, Andrighetto etc...do something to show you care.

I bet guys like MacKinnon and Rantanen are itching for some kind of change, anything that shows someone cares. Just start with a coaching change, it's clearly an issue when your best player argues, yells at him, and doesn't even pay attention to his coach anymore.

What is Sakic thinking here? He loves Bednar too much and MacK is replaceable? News flash Joe, coaches like Bednar are dime a dozen, but players like MacKinnon are rare.

James G

Jan 1, 2018
People who don't think Sakic is too nice to be a GM, in such a horrible losing stretch like the Avs are going through right now, how do you explain Sakic not only refusing to make a coaching change, but at least he should make some kind of a roster shake up, even if it's not a big one, like getting rid of players who haven't done much in a long time like Nieto, Andrighetto etc...do something to show you care.

I bet guys like MacKinnon and Rantanen are itching for some kind of change, anything that shows someone cares. Just start with a coaching change, it's clearly an issue when your best player argues, yells at him, and doesn't even pay attention to his coach anymore.

What is Sakic thinking here? He loves Bednar too much and MacK is replaceable? News flash Joe, coaches like Bednar are dime a dozen, but players like MacKinnon are rare.

“How do you explain Sakic not making a coaching change” - easy. Recent Goaltending, aka the slide.

And PS, you’re the only one consistently making an issue of a Mack/Bednar conflict that appears not to exist. But keep pounding that drum if it advances your cause.

One of the youngest teams in the league. One of the lowest salary caps in the league. You do the math.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Lol. You get my point. There are teams built for now and teams building for 2 years from now. We are not the former. And we shouldn’t pretend we are.

We've been a team built for two years from now for the last 10 years.

When things go south with a team, the coach is the first thing to change because it's not complicated by asset management to change the coach. Do you think Bednar is doing a good job coaching? Do you think the Avs' efforts over the last couple of weeks have been good enough? Changing the coach sends the message that management is willing to do something to stop the slide. Doing nothing sends the message that this is fine.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

James G

Jan 1, 2018
We've been a team built for two years from now for the last 10 years

That’s an easy rebuttal. But tell me when our average age was this young and we had this much cap room. I dont know the answer, but I’d hazard a guess it wasn’t in the Roy years.

James G

Jan 1, 2018
We've been a team built for two years from now for the last 10 years.

When things go south with a team, the coach is the first thing to change because it's not complicated by asset management to change the coach. Do you think Bednar is doing a good job coaching? Do you think the Avs' efforts over the last couple of weeks have been good enough? Changing the coach sends the message that management is willing to do something to stop the slide. Doing nothing sends the message that this is fine.

These stats are 3 or 4 games old (I don’t have new ones) and compliments of Cousin Eddie. Perhaps you haven’t seen them. But were pretty eye opening to me.

“At the end of November the Avalanche were 1 point back of Nashville for 1st in the west. Since then...
- Avs have given up the 3rd least shots against in the NHL.
- Avs have given up 2nd least scoring chances in the NHL.
- Avs have given up 2nd most goals against.
- Avs have the lowest save percentage in the league.
It’s pretty clearly that goaltending is the issue here.
In 2019 it gets even crazier.
- least shot attempts against in NHL
- least high danger shot attempts against
- least scoring chances against
- 10th in goals for (they’re still scoring goals despite people thinking they aren’t)
- highest corsi for% in the NHL.
- .845sv% LOL
The Avs are preventing shots against. Preventing teams from getting to the dangerous areas of the ice. Outshooting teams every night. Scoring more than 2/3rds of the league. The goaltenders just can’t make a save.
The Avs are dominating hockey games and still losing every night. There’s been just 3 games since December 29 that the Avs reached .900sv% goaltending. The Colorado Avalanche are basically the polar opposite of Patrick Roy’s Colorado Avalanche.”

So, ya, I’m not sure coaching is the issue.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
“How do you explain Sakic not making a coaching change” - easy. Recent Goaltending, aka the slide.

And PS, you’re the only one consistently making an issue of a Mack/Bednar conflict that appears not to exist. But keep pounding that drum if it advances your cause.

One of the youngest teams in the league. One of the lowest salary caps in the league. You do the math.
Are you sure about that? Just because as a fan you wanna believe that conflict doesn't exist and everything is just fine, doesn't mean it's not there. In fact I see plenty of indications that a conflict between Bednar and MacKinnon does exist.

1st of all the yelling, secondly MacKinnon clearly ignoring Bednar when he had his drawing board out, and finally MacKinnon and many others on the team have given up. Usually giving up means they dont play for the coach anymore

Reactions: CobraAcesS

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Are you sure about that? Just because as a fan you wanna believe that conflict doesn't exist and everything is just fine, doesn't mean it's not there. In fact I see plenty of indications that a conflict between Bednar and MacKinnon does exist.

1st of all the yelling, secondly MacKinnon clearly ignoring Bednar when he had his drawing board out, and finally MacKinnon and many others on the team have given up. Usually giving up means they dont play for the coach anymore

So you and I consistently disagree on almost everything. This time around
1. “All the yelling” - you must be referring to that total 6-10 word exchange. That one time.
2. “The drawing board” - didn’t see it. You may be right.
3. “MacK and many others have given up” - on a quick glance I see us outshooting the other teams the last 11 out of 16 games. Sometimes 2:1. I don’t see that as a team giving up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad