GDT: game fifty six...existential doom edition

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I just hope Hughes or Kakko aren't another Nolan Patrick and Hischier. Maybe someone who follows them can put my mind at ease and tell me they're better. I've only watched both Hughes and Kakko few games in this last iihf, and can't really say much only watching couple of games.

Patrick looks like a slow burn, like he'll come around in a couple years. Not the kinda player you'd want in the top 2 of a draft, but he's got NHL skill def. Hischier has kept pace scoring wise, despite the absence of Hall so that should tell he's legit top liner that needs some help , once he gets that he'll soar.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Patrick looks like a slow burn, like he'll come around in a couple years. Not the kinda player you'd want in the top 2 of a draft, but he's got NHL skill def. Hischier has kept pace scoring wise, despite the absence of Hall so that should tell he's legit top liner that needs some help , once he gets that he'll soar.
That's still two legit NHL forwards. Gives them a total of about 9.

Just need to get two NHL level goaltenders and 3 good defenders and we'll see a decent team next year!

I know both Hischier and Patrick are still young and have room to improve, but their production so far is on par with production of Kerfoot and Soderberg, and I'm hoping Avs would get something better if they do end up winning the lottery

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I know both Hischier and Patrick are still young and have room to improve, but their production so far is on par with production of Kerfoot and Soderberg, and I'm hoping Avs would get something better if they do end up winning the lottery

Hischier and Patrick are much better than Kerfoot and Jost now. And the gap will only get wider.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
There's a lot of talk about Sakic being a nice GM and being patient and 99% of the time sitting on his hands before making a decision and doing some kind of action.... I am seeing some parallels between him and Hextall in Philadelphia and ultimately how Hextall got released because he wouldn't fire Hakstol and he wouldn't call up Carter Hart to help their goal tending. It's been two months since the brought in Chuck Fletcher and Scott Gordon has replaced Hakstol and they seem to be trending in the right direction as a team (14-9-3). We don't have the same goalie prospect in the organization as the Flyers, but bringing up Francouz to see what he can do at the NHL level would be helpful. We won't fire the coach until the end of the year, but if we continue to stay the course into the summer, how much leash does Sakic have? Or are his hands essentially tied because his owner couldn't give two shits about hockey?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
We've been unlucky. We are not this bad.

That's the most frustrating part of all of it. I don't know that I'd call them unlucky exactly, but they are not this bad.

I think teams just learned how to gameplan against them as Bednar simply doesn't have the depth he needs to counter. Throw everything you have a stopping the top line and there's a good chance your depth with overcome the Avs shitty depth. The goaltending falling apart just amplified the issue a shit ton.

Reactions: MacBradley

TheDangerBowen

Highway to
Jul 4, 2011
CO
Someone i havent talked to in like 6 months texting me this morning the final score followed by the Leafs record this season. Man those people are all the same.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Was at the game last night and during one of the top lines last shifts Mack was just sitting outside the Avs D zone waiting for the Avs to get the puck back. He’s in true 0 ****s given mode right now.

I don't understand how people can refuse to acknowledge that MacK could get frustrated with this team & want out if we never start to make progress. Hell we just saw a kid who grew up idolizing Joe & this team -- like many of us did -- ask out because the losing had gotten to him...and MacK is more hyper-competitive than Dutchy was...

That's as big of a factor as our cap-window in why I feel it's so important we make progress next season & are able to build on it...rather than this one step forward, two steps back, bullshit we've been doing for the past decade.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
The worst part of this season is how quickly the anger turned into apathy.

In the beginning of the year I was furious after the Calgary and Vancouver losses. Now I am just laughing as they continue to lose and honesty have stopped watching whole games.

Reactions: RareDangles

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't understand how people can refuse to acknowledge that MacK could get frustrated with this team & want out if we never start to make progress. Hell we just saw a kid who grew up idolizing Joe & this team -- like many of us did -- ask out because the losing had gotten to him...and MacK is more hyper-competitive than Dutchy was...

That's as big of a factor as our cap-window in why I feel it's so important we make progress next season & are able to build on it...rather than this one step forward, two steps back, bull**** we've been doing for the past decade.

Yeah when EJ and Gabe looks the way they do and as frustrated as they do, you gotta imagine that’s Mack x100

Reactions: cgf and CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's the most frustrating part of all of it. I don't know that I'd call them unlucky exactly, but they are not this bad.

I think teams just learned how to gameplan against them as Bednar simply doesn't have the depth he needs to counter. Throw everything you have a stopping the top line and there's a good chance your depth with overcome the Avs ****ty depth. The goaltending falling apart just amplified the issue a **** ton.
Yeah it's not luck, it's a combination of not having depth, smart players, winners, and a young coach who doesn't know how to deal with a roster that he has. I mean a better coach could get more out of this current roster so they wouldn't be the worst team in hockey for over 2 months.

Just start with a coaching change and go from there, get more depth next year, hopefully win the lottery with either pick, get some smarter players and players who want to win

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
TMV made a note on the team's shot differential. This is where the possession stats don't tell the whole story. While they did indeed take a ton of shots, way too many of them came from the defensemen. They are locked into this high-low system to generate offense, which would be fine if they were somehow capable of capitalizing on rebounds and planting bodies in front of the net. But too often goals are the result of perfectly-placed shots or perfect deflections. This team doesn't really know how to set up shots from close-in, nor do they really have anyone with a true net-front presence.

I also would like to know what the coaches are telling AJ Greer to do out there. He oftentimes parks himself in front of the net on the forecheck, which I imagine is similar to what he does in Loveland, but the difference is that he's playing with two linemates who can't really get him the puck. My fear is that they're not telling to do anything, he's just sort of left to his own devices and doesn't have any idea what his role is. Pure speculation on my part but tell me you don't think that's a real possibility. And far as Greer goes...I get that he just may not be good enough, but you can't tell me he has even once been put in a position to succeed in the NHL yet.

I think my biggest fear is that Sakic will learn all the wrong lessons from another failed season and try again with a bunch of big, slow, shot-blocking forwards and defensemen to try and make the team better defensively...hope to hell I'm wrong there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
TMV made a note on the team's shot differential. This is where the possession stats don't tell the whole story. While they did indeed take a ton of shots, way too many of them came from the defensemen. They are locked into this high-low system to generate offense, which would be fine if they were somehow capable of capitalizing on rebounds and planting bodies in front of the net. But too often goals are the result of perfectly-placed shots or perfect deflections. This team doesn't really know how to set up shots from close-in, nor do they really have anyone with a true net-front presence.

I also would like to know what the coaches are telling AJ Greer to do out there. He oftentimes parks himself in front of the net on the forecheck, which I imagine is similar to what he does in Loveland, but the difference is that he's playing with two linemates who can't really get him the puck. My fear is that they're not telling to do anything, he's just sort of left to his own devices and doesn't have any idea what his role is. Pure speculation on my part but tell me you don't think that's a real possibility. And far as Greer goes...I get that he just may not be good enough, but you can't tell me he has even once been put in a position to succeed in the NHL yet.

I think my biggest fear is that Sakic will learn all the wrong lessons from another failed season and try again with a bunch of big, slow, shot-blocking forwards and defensemen to try and make the team better defensively...hope to hell I'm wrong there.
The Avs aren’t just dominating shots though. They’re dominating scoring chances and high danger shot attempts too. There are a crazy amount of shots coming from the perimeter for sure, but there are a lot coming from good areas too.

Last night for example the Avs had 27 scoring chances 5v5. Toronto had 16.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No doubt this is the truth now, which makes absolutely no sense because when the team was dominant they were scoring in so many different ways, especially the first line.

Now the first line along with the rest of the team can't even take advantage of a simple 2-on-1. It's like when they shoot, every single shot has to be perfect. That tells me the coaches message isn't getting through as Bednar's gameplan appreciates the garbage goals as much as the pretty ones. Moreover, the players' confidence is completely shot and they think they can't score besides going bar down.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

You need skill to do that and Avs don't have much skill outside their 1st line

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Avs aren’t just dominating shots though. They’re dominating scoring chances and high danger shot attempts too. There are a crazy amount of shots coming from the perimeter for sure, but there are a lot coming from good areas too.

I'd really like to see what they call "high danger" though. And I'd also like to see what stats measure a team's ability to score garbage goals close-in off of rebounds, which I think we can all agree the Avs are absolutely lousy at. I'm sure Matt Nieto is the king of "high danger shot attempts" since he's very good at shooting from in-close right into a goalie's chest.

And it's not that they're not generating scoring chances, they just keep relying on the same methods to do so.

Also, it's no coincidence that this team relies way too much on the point men to get it done and also give up an inordinate amount of breakaways. Too many turnovers from high in the zone, not enough done behind the net, in the slot area, and below the circles to generate chances. There's also a severe puck support problem that's leading to these breakaways and ridiculous defensive breakdowns that happen every game.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You need skill to do that and Avs don't have much skill outside their 1st line

Agreed. That said this team has shown an ability to crash the net rather than just look for the perfect snipe and they're not even doing that anymore.

I don't think there's anything that'll solve the secondary scoring issue coming this season. They wanted to know what they had in guys like Jost, Kerfoot, Ghetto, Compher, and Wilson, and...now they know. At this point I hope they sell off whatever they can at the deadline and brace for impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->