GDT: Game 9: Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens 2/1/21 7:00pm EST TSN2, RDS (HD), TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'm expecting a 3-2 game with much tighter checking.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Same for me. Im actually still pretty angry at that.

It was clearly a head shot that they have been trying to get rid of. We have had two head shots that the NHL decided were not serious enough to look into. Total BS... The trend was you are responsible where you make contact (intentional or not).

Habs didn't step up enough on that. After reviewing video, I'm sure several players have regrets.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It was clearly a head shot that they have been trying to get rid of. We have had two head shots that the NHL decided were not serious enough to look into. Total BS... The trend was you are responsible where you make contact (intentional or not).

Habs didn't step up enough on that. After reviewing video, I'm sure several players have regrets.
I mean the Armia one is defendable, predatory and all, but you can make the argument that Myers just missed Armias shoulder... For Dube theres absolutely nothing to defend it... Like, he jumped, he went fists firsts, he caught him in the face.. Literally everything about it is bad.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean the Armia one is defendable, predatory and all, but you can make the argument that Myers just missed Armias shoulder... For Dube theres absolutely nothing to defend it... Like, he jumped, he went fists firsts, he caught him in the face.. Literally everything about it is bad.

It certainly does not give you a good team feeling but maybe they are worried about the NHL labeling us a complainer and we get even more BS calls moving forward? Something is not right there and I'm pondering about the reasons why we did not respond

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021

Preview for tonight’s game !

Dang the Canucks are looking good right now and have been hot since the last time the habs played them . Let’s hope the boys show up and continue whipping them !!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It certainly does not give you a good team feeling but maybe they are worried about the NHL labeling us a complainer and we get even more BS calls moving forward? Something is not right there and I'm pondering about the reasons why we did not respond
Im really mad nobody asked Chiarot why he didn't drop the gloves when he said "Well it looked like a clear headshot"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im really mad nobody asked Chiarot why he didn't drop the gloves when he said "Well it looked like a clear headshot"

It was weird after that hit... it's almost like they were tentative to back up KK. Dirty hit or not, you always come for your teammate. Is it because it was the young Dube and he don't have that reputation? I don't know but I didn't like it

However, I'm more upset with the NHL vs Chiarot or Weber

Last edited:

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
That response from Weber and Chiarot on the KK hit ruined the 5-1-2 start for me.

What leadership.
Me, too. For so long, I've been waiting to see weber go nuts and start throwing people around. But it never happens. He just glares. That's it.

the reffing this year and disciplinary action has been very lenient.

I've been thinking we still need someone who can play AND drop the gloves. Like Ryan reeves.

is there someone like that we can target through trade who could play everyday 4th line duty and not hurt the teams chances?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Me, too. For so long, I've been waiting to see weber go nuts and start throwing people around. But it never happens. He just glares. That's it.

I've been thinking we still need someone who can play AND drop the gloves. Like Ryan reeves.

is there someone like that we can target through trade who could play everyday 4th line duty and not hurt the teams chances?

The sole responsibility lies on the NHL to police it. We can criticize Chiarot and Weber on the side but even if they went after him more aggressively, It still does not send a message to Dube or anybody in the NHL. Remember what happened to Moore when the NHL did not police the hit on Naslund and then Bertuzzi tried to deal with things himself? That stuff is intimidation and NHL players don't get intimidated anymore and it can get nasty.

My focus is not to defend Chiarot or Weber, but to say WTF NHL?

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
It was weird after that hit... it's almost like they were tentative to back up KK. Dirty hit or not, you always come for your teammate. Is it because it was the young Dube and he don't have that reputation? I don't know but I didn't like it
Yeah, I definitely think someone on the ice should have just dropped the gloves and went after him. Think about it, the whistle wasn't blown, everybody is standing around looking like idiots waiting for a reaction, and all that happens is a couple facewashes. The habs took a pointless 2 minute penalty on that play, because what they did, didn't show any emotion. Its almost as if they facewashed him because they had to, lol. Kotkaniemi is the youngest player on the team, get in there and stick up for him. KK was clearly upset on the bench. I assume he was also shocked with the reaction. Bottom line, when stuff like this happens, and your already going to take a 2 minute penalty for ACTING tough, BE tough and make it worth it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, I definitely think someone on the ice should have just dropped the gloves and went after him. Think about it, the whistle wasn't blown, everybody is standing around looking like idiots waiting for a reaction, and all that happens is a couple facewashes. The habs took a pointless 2 minute penalty on that play, because what they did, didn't show any emotion. Its almost as if they facewashed him because they had to, lol. Kotkaniemi is the youngest player on the team, get in there and stick up for him. KK was clearly upset on the bench. I assume he was also shocked with the reaction. Bottom line, when stuff like this happens, and your already going to take a 2 minute penalty for ACTING tough, BE tough and make it worth it.

Weber and Chiarot do owe him an apology. That's one thing that was wrong. However, the NHL has to come to their senses on Head Shots. Tinkering with what's is ok and what is not ok when it comes to head shots is a stupid approach. Keep it simple and effective... You are responsible for all head shots. Intentionally or not. It's easier to police and it's also easier for players to know that it don't matter what your intentions are... you are responsible if you hit someone anywhere in the head. Equal playing field for all

What a joke... you can brush someone on the ear with your stick and not cause any damage but it's a automatic penalty. But hammer someone from the blind side and get a massive head blow and it's OK? :huh:. This is the biggest joke in the NHL right now. Bettman needs to fire someone

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
That response from Weber and Chiarot on the KK hit ruined the 5-1-2 start for me.

What leadership.

Funny, I feel the same. I'm a Webs homer, and I am at a crossroads right now.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

These types of players that can play and throw down are pretty much gone.

I guarantee any other team would have started a fight after that hit. Weber and Chiarot embarrassed themselves for how they responded.

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021

Good. Kulak was horrendous last game.

Seems kind of odd to me to be honest. I thought Kulak was playing good , steady hockey for the most part since the beginning of the season. Last game, not many looked good.

Which Makes me wonder... Are they showcasing Mete? OR, did they have a sit down and come to terms, and agree to rotate them?
One things for sure, thats a young, inexperienced pairing, it makes me question how reliable they will be defensively. Hopefully they surprise me.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I didn't re-watch, but I think Perry did try to do something right after the hit.

I don't know if Claude gave instructions to not handle the situation since the game was so close and they were down 1-0. but I am a bit dismayed that since this happened near the end of the second, and they had an intermission to sit on it, nobody stepped in during the 3rd.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Seems kind of odd to me to be honest. I thought Kulak was playing good , steady hockey for the most part since the beginning of the season. Last game, not many looked good.

Which Makes me wonder... Are they showcasing Mete? OR, did they have a sit down and come to terms, and agree to rotate them?
One things for sure, thats a young, inexperienced pairing, it makes me question how reliable they will be defensively. Hopefully they surprise me.

Mete is solid defensively and could carry Ouellet in the playoffs on his off side, so having Romanov instead is just going to be that much better. Also, me thinks Mete will be playing with bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino