GDT: Game 9: Columbus vs. Detroit | 2/2 7PM EST

AVsTimeOut

Jan 31, 2012
AV's Gum Retailer.
Ranger fan in peace.
Just saying glad you guys are accepting Dubi and AA for us. They were really good guys.. Hope you're enjoying them!

AA's first goal, god damn do I wish he could do that for the NYR more often.. Kid always had a shot but used it very rarely. Almost as if he was afraid to shoot sometimes. Wicked shot.. Such a shame.. But I'm glad to see he's tearing it up for you.. You'll learn he'll be hot for a few weeks, then he'll disappear, but not in a way that will affect the team, he'll do the little things defensively, even when he doesn't score.. I do feel he will have his best years in Columbus.. He was kind of held back on the Rangers. He has top line minutes in CBJ no?

As for Brandon Dubinsky. There's a reason we called him Derpinsky.. Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of him.. I thought he was overpayed, the holding out as long as possible prior to the start of the season thing rubbed me the wrong way as well. But he did play his ass off. Again like AA, he was such a reliable two way guy. and great defensively.. I'm sure you have seen he PKs as if somebody insulted his mother. Offensively, nothing too special.. He's a 40 point guy. Nothing more, nothing less. But he does have heart, grit and leadership. He played a big role for the team. He'll be an A for sure down the road. Reason why we called him Derpinsky, simply because for one good thing he'd do, he'd do something Pejorative Slured like turn the puck over in the offensive zone, pass when he has a lane the size of jupiter with a wide open net, just dumb stuff. But he is a reliable forward.

Great game last night!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Best game of the season by Jackets imo from what I've seen. Wiz likes to score against Wings. Anisimov disappeared for few games but showed flashes of what he can do.

Didn't see much of JAM.

JMFJ is playing well. Offense isn't as good as he has potential imo, but it's ok if that's what is needed for him to play solid D.

Too bad Wiz got injured, if it's long one it will hurt.

arudick

Jan 31, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Here's the injury report on Wiz as of right now (hopefully this wasn't posted already or another thread open that I didn't see):

In addition to the concussion he suffered, James Wisniewski also sustained leg and back injuries when he collided with the boards in Saturday's game against the Red Wings.
Wisniewski's fall looked extremely scary and it's no surprise he sustained multiple injuries on the play, but teammate Jack Johnson seemed encouraged after the game by the news he had received on Wisniewski. Let's hope the healing process is a quick one for the talented defenseman.

Feb 3 - 9:43 AM
Source: Columbus Dispatch

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Sigh of relief here. I bought a slew of the $10 tickets for tonight's game. I was able to get 26 tickets and invited friends and family, most of whom are not CBJ regulars or hockey fans at all. It was partly a ploy to do my "little part" in keeping the Redwing fans out of the barn, even if it was only 26 or so...

In the past, it has turned into a slaughter, but tonight was AWESOME. Great crowd, and the game shut the dbag Wing-nut fans in the crowd up. One was talking loudly on the way out about how its OK because CBJ won't be in the playoffs, but the Wings will, etc. I can't stand them. Or the Hawks fans. Or the Sabres.

It was great to share that game with the people I brought and to smile and shake my head at the mostly somber Wings fans.

Loving Artie, Dmac, Jack-of-course, and Tyuts. Letestu is underated. Dude is everywhere. I hope he gets a chance to really make a name with the CBJ. Even Brass got fiesty tonight. Scrapped it up with Datsyuk a bit, a much safer choice than Neal...

Joey is using the body more and more each game.

I've found the Wing fans to be fairly civil and not too over the top. Never had words with any of their many fans at Nationwide. Also, every time I've attended a game up at the Joe their fans were fine. The same is not true for Penguin and Hawk fans who are both loud and obnoxious....real frontrunners. I know a lot of people have a disdain for the Sabre fans, but I love those games because they're mostly just drunk and looking to have a good time, good people up in Buffalo.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I've found the Wing fans to be fairly civil and not too over the top. Never had words with any of their many fans at Nationwide. Also, every time I've attended a game up at the Joe their fans were fine. The same is not true for Penguin and Hawk fans who are both loud and obnoxious....real frontrunners. I know a lot of people have a disdain for the Sabre fans, but I love those games because they're mostly just drunk and looking to have a good time, good people up in Buffalo.

Sounds like you have been lucky. Last night we had a loud mouth behind us that keep throwing out the "How many Cups do you have" line all night and was just generally being an A-hole and that seems to be the norm for all 20+ Wings game I have been to.

The Joe is also the worst I have ever been treated in a visiting arena. The only way I will go back up there is with a large group like the Jacket Backers trips.

I do agree that Pens and Hawk fans have become the worst of all of them.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Sounds like you have been lucky. Last night we had a loud mouth behind us that keep throwing out the "How many Cups do you have" line all night and was just generally being an A-hole and that seems to be the norm for all 20+ Wings game I have been to.

The Joe is also the worst I have ever been treated in a visiting arena. The only way I will go back up there is with a large group like the Jacket Backers trips.

I do agree that Pens and Hawk fans have become the worst of all of them.

I've also been to a lot of arenas and the Joe, while steeped in unvelievable history, is a pit. Smells like urine throughout.

Also, fans at the Joe were throwing things at us, shouting and swearing even though we really just watched the game and kept our mouths shut other than to cheer when we got a goal. "A GOAL"... not all freaking game. I kept trying to keep my then-teenage son from mouthing off or retaliating because we were outnumbered and sober to their drunk. It was miserable. The ushers saw them throwing things, etc and did nothing. Even the ushers went out of the way to make our stay miserable, not letting us watch warmups near the CBJ bench, etc.

I've been to 7 other NHL arenas, including Philly, and have never had such a low life experience. Usually the arena personnel are at least civil.

On the way out of the Joe that trip, it was in the end me who got mouthy with the Wings fans. I reminded them that they have they better hockey team, but I get to drive back to CBUS and they have to live in miserable Detroit. My son practically dragged me out of the arena.

I do get defending your barn, and think CBJ needs to do a better job of that, but I don't see how difficult it is to ignore other team's fans who are respectful and there to see their team without being ashats.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm also one of the many who have issues with Wing fans.

To me they fall in to two camps (the Detroit fans who are irritating and invade Nationwide):

-The ones from Michigan. They are usually more hockey knowledgeable but they have such an inferiority complex of Columbus and Nationwide Arena. Trashing the city and the arena (verbally). Come on folks enjoy a nice city, that is finacially secure, with a newer arena that doesn't smell like a college couch.
The local Wings fans seem to know nothing about hockey but just like to make fun of the Jackets. They are the band wagon fans who just like to irritate.

I've never met another group of fans as bad as them. I love the Pittsburgh fans (some are bandwagon fans, and they probably annoy Browns/Bengals fans), never had a problem with Buffalo fans, or Nashville or Chicago.

Ceff Jarter

Registered Duster
Aug 6, 2012

To me they fall in to two camps (the Detroit fans who are irritating and invade Nationwide):

-The ones from Michigan. They are usually more hockey knowledgeable but they have such an inferiority complex of Columbus and Nationwide Arena. Trashing the city and the arena (verbally). Come on folks enjoy a nice city, that is finacially secure, with a newer arena that doesn't smell like a college couch.
The local Wings fans seem to know nothing about hockey but just like to make fun of the Jackets. They are the band wagon fans who just like to irritate.

I've never met another group of fans as bad as them. I love the Pittsburgh fans (some are bandwagon fans, and they probably annoy Browns/Bengals fans), never had a problem with Buffalo fans, or Nashville or Chicago.

I love Buffalo fans. They invade NWA with a small army but they are very knowlegable and just want to see a good game. The Chicago fans that visit Columbus are among the most arrogant I've ever interacted with.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

My experience here has only been with the local Red Wing fans.

The Red Wing "fans" in front of me lsat night didn't seem to understand hockey. A group of 8, with various Red Wing sweaters on, they were confused by off sides calls. They shot us some looks when we taunted Zetterberg for diving. I decided to have some fun and asked one of them "where is Lidstrom?". He said he didn't know why he wasn't playing tonight. After a few minutes of discussion within the group, one of them turned to me and said, "I think he may have retired". :)

Then there was the group behind me. The Dad kept asking his sons if Bertuzzi was still a Red Wing. It wasn't until the goalie interferrence call that they realized he was indeed still a Red Wing.

Oh well, they help fill the arena.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i think myfavorite was last night...end of game, "wings" fans were leaving early and a bunch of us were saying "Bye, thanks for the money, wish you could stay longer" etc heckling, while a couple of CBJ fans kept it going, a "Wings" fan turned and said they should cheer like adults. and kept running his mouth at the two guys until they decided to go and have a closer conversation to which the guy couldn't get up the stairs quick enough...

i had to laugh though, like Derby, having had a horrible experience or two in Detroit.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Well, you weren't in 103 last night. Lots of pleasant Wings fans, but two totally trashed, loud mouthed, overly vulgar Wings fans.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
i think myfavorite was last night...end of game, "wings" fans were leaving early and a bunch of us were saying "Bye, thanks for the money, wish you could stay longer" etc heckling, while a couple of CBJ fans kept it going, a "Wings" fan turned and said they should cheer like adults. and kept running his mouth at the two guys until they decided to go and have a closer conversation to which the guy couldn't get up the stairs quick enough...

i had to laugh though, like Derby, having had a horrible experience or two in Detroit.

Add me to the list of people having bad experiences in Detroit.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I at least respect many Detroit fans because they have been fans of their team for a good while. Unlike many of the Pittsburgh and Chicago fans.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Here is my take.

I find the most obnoxious fans to come to Nationwide to be the Pens fans. They, of all of them tend to act like the Nat is their home, and they try to brutalize CBJ fans as much as possible. The fact that so many of them are there only enables them to act like ass-hats even more. I really just hate those MFer's with a passion, and because of that I have absolutely no love at all for their team.

Sabres fans generally aren't as mouthy, but tend to be quite drunk, and rowdy. The only time I have seen visiting fans throw beer into the CBJ crowd was by Sabres fans and I saw that happen twice. They are a very close second to Pens fans, but as a whole just seem to want to be loud and have a good time.

Redwings fans, well, it just seems to depend on the game. Some games that I have been to, they were respectable, and merely cheered for their team. Other times, totally obnoxious. So much so, that they were giving Pens fans a run for their money. I will admit, though, that usually in my experience they act pretty respectful, and merely cheer for their team.

Never have had any issues with Rangers, Hawks, Flyers, Leafs, Bruins, or Blues fans. Other than those, really can't remember a large contingent of fans from other teams.

Worst places that I have been treated were Nashville (arena only) and St. Louis. St. Louis in particular was brutal. Really took a lot of s*** at the game, after the game, and at the hotel bar later. Almost got into a fight at the bar. In Nashville, talked to a Nashville fan later, and he was shocked that we were harassed at the game. He said next time to sit in his section because they don't mind visiting fans there at all.

Had no issues in Detroit except for the drunk in front of us that stood up and ordered my 5'2" wife to sit down and shut-up after we scored. I promptly told him what big balls he had ordering my wife to sit down and invited him to order me to sit down. He turned around and sat down. Nice thing was two Wings fans behind me tapped me on the shoulder and told me that the guy was a jerk and had he tried anything that they had my back. I thanked them, but I don't think I would have needed any help with that fat ****.

Greatest place on earth to see a game as a visiting fan in terms of how you are treated is Carolina. Unbelievable how welcome you are made to feel there. The fans did tell me that the fans that they hate the most invading their building is sabres fans followed by Pens fans, so we aren't alone when it comes to those jerks.

Sorry so long.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I at least respect many Detroit fans because they have been fans of their team for a good while. Unlike many of the Pittsburgh and Chicago fans.

I don't even know what this means, how you could claim to know any of those things. All three of those teams has bandwagon fans and long-time fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad