GDT: Game 9: Columbus vs. Detroit | 2/2 7PM EST

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Here is my take.

I find the most obnoxious fans to come to Nationwide to be the Pens fans. They, of all of them tend to act like the Nat is their home, and they try to brutalize CBJ fans as much as possible. The fact that so many of them are there only enables them to act like ass-hats even more. I really just hate those MFer's with a passion, and because of that I have absolutely no love at all for their team.

Sabres fans generally aren't as mouthy, but tend to be quite drunk, and rowdy. The only time I have seen visiting fans throw beer into the CBJ crowd was by Sabres fans and I saw that happen twice. They are a very close second to Pens fans, but as a whole just seem to want to be loud and have a good time.

Redwings fans, well, it just seems to depend on the game. Some games that I have been to, they were respectable, and merely cheered for their team. Other times, totally obnoxious. So much so, that they were giving Pens fans a run for their money. I will admit, though, that usually in my experience they act pretty respectful, and merely cheer for their team.

Never have had any issues with Rangers, Hawks, Flyers, Leafs, Bruins, or Blues fans. Other than those, really can't remember a large contingent of fans from other teams.

Worst places that I have been treated were Nashville (arena only) and St. Louis. St. Louis in particular was brutal. Really took a lot of s*** at the game, after the game, and at the hotel bar later. Almost got into a fight at the bar. In Nashville, talked to a Nashville fan later, and he was shocked that we were harassed at the game. He said next time to sit in his section because they don't mind visiting fans there at all.

Had no issues in Detroit except for the drunk in front of us that stood up and ordered my 5'2" wife to sit down and shut-up after we scored. I promptly told him what big balls he had ordering my wife to sit down and invited him to order me to sit down. He turned around and sat down. Nice thing was two Wings fans behind me tapped me on the shoulder and told me that the guy was a jerk and had he tried anything that they had my back. I thanked them, but I don't think I would have needed any help with that fat ****.

Greatest place on earth to see a game as a visiting fan in terms of how you are treated is Carolina. Unbelievable how welcome you are made to feel there. The fans did tell me that the fans that they hate the most invading their building is sabres fans followed by Pens fans, so we aren't alone when it comes to those jerks.

Sorry so long.

Agree on Pens fans. I think it was two years ago when Pens fans loaded up on cheap seats and overtook the arena. The Pens fans behavior was so bad I had to leave my seats after 1. My biggest memory was two drunk fans getting inches from my 7 and 12 year old face and screaming Mason, Mason as the Pens lit him up. From there we almost had fisticuffs as an old lady who sat in front of me got incensed and told them to shove it.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
This sort of a thing isn't a major issue out here, if I may share personal experience. I've been to Jackets games in the past, when they were announcing the starting lineup for the Red Wings one game, with a family of four sitting two rows in front of us cheering exuberantly whenever they announced each Wing player. Finally, after two or three of them, I stood up and used my booming voice to "BOOOOOOO" over their cheers ... they sat silently for the rest of the game. At first I felt bad, but then I realized that I hadn't done anything really wrong to them. Now I can laugh about it.

Typically, WHL fans follow their teams all over. Since it's all done by bus, it isn't uncommon to see 20-50 fans sitting in a group in one spot in the arena, even if it's a far away team. If it's a local rival (Tri City), it's typically an 80/20 split ... and we're talking 11,000 people. One thing that has always amazed me is that, even though Spokane is a beer drinkin', gun totin' American town, even the most obnoxious, ignorant fans are completely tolerant of the opposition's supporters. We used to drive up to Cranbook, BC, or down to Tri City, for a few road games a year, before we had our kids. The fans in Cranbrook are phenomenal ... they invite you into their conversations, will buy you a beer; and being such a small town, the morning after the game is usually spent at the local coffee shops talking about the game. It's tremendous fun.

The only bad experience I can speak of was in Everett, to see the Silvertips. Being a WHL supporter before a Spokane Chiefs supporter, I figured we would be fine, having experienced other arenas before. I wore my Chiefs jersey - big mistake. We were heckled all night, had stuff thrown at us, and were even treated like crap by their security personnel. It was so bad that I sent a letter in to their office, and CC'd the league about it. Apparently I'm not the only person who's experienced this sort of thing in Everett either. Must be the fact that they are still a fairly new franchise or something.

To sum up my point - I've always made it a point to treat the fans around me with respect, no matter what is going on. We're all there to see the event and have fun - why make it miserable on someone else?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Gotta say my worse encounter was with two visiting guys from Calgary. They wore them big ass cowboy hats and kept saying they thought the rodeo was in town. They smelled like horse manure and I was glad they left after the second period. :sarcasm:

NYRantLftyC19

Mar 17, 2007
Just wanted to stop by and say i'm excited Ani and Dubi are doing well for you guys! I'm sure Artem will become more consistent as he develops, he's still really young, but he's always had great skill and a high hockey IQ.. I've been watching him since he came from Russia at 19

And although Dubi is almost finished developing in my opinion, i always loved the leadership, grit, and board play that he consistently brought. Those two guys lead by example and hard work, and that's always beneficial to a team both on the ice and in the locker room.

Anyway, with Dubi, Toots, Anisimov, and Prospal out there, you're one of my favorite teams in the west. Good luck the rest of the year.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Just wanted to stop by and say i'm excited Ani and Dubi are doing well for you guys! I'm sure Artem will become more consistent as he develops, he's still really young, but he's always had great skill and a high hockey IQ.. I've been watching him since he came from Russia at 19

And although Dubi is almost finished developing in my opinion, i always loved the leadership, grit, and board play that he consistently brought. Those two guys lead by example and hard work, and that's always beneficial to a team both on the ice and in the locker room.

Anyway, with Dubi, Toots, Anisimov, and Prospal out there, you're one of my favorite teams in the west. Good luck the rest of the year.

Thanks. Being "Rangers West" is a step up for us.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Redwings fans, well, it just seems to depend on the game. Some games that I have been to, they were respectable, and merely cheered for their team. Other times, totally obnoxious. So much so, that they were giving Pens fans a run for their money. I will admit, though, that usually in my experience they act pretty respectful, and merely cheer for their team.

Well experiences might differ. Luckily I haven't been surrounded by them the last couple of seasons, not sure how that is possible but I have been lucky. Having said that, before then they were pretty much elitist condescending dirt bags. Now that isn't exclusive to the Red Wings fans, but there are generally more of them.

Story comes to mind in our very early years, I think it was our first year. We were getting beat pretty badly and was talking trash. I turned around to him and explained that they better be kicking the crap out of us. We were an expansion team being outspent by 30+ million or whatever it was. I think they were in the high 50's and we were in the low 20's. That promptly started my changing their chant from "Lets go Red Wings" to "Drop dead Red Wings". It was amazing how quickly that stopped stopped the chants. I can't stand hearing that in our house.

What has been my biggest surprise is how friendly the Canadian fans have been over the years. Every one I've ever dealt with has expressed how they like the arena and the city.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This sort of a thing isn't a major issue out here, if I may share personal experience. I've been to Jackets games in the past, when they were announcing the starting lineup for the Red Wings one game, with a family of four sitting two rows in front of us cheering exuberantly whenever they announced each Wing player. Finally, after two or three of them, I stood up and used my booming voice to "BOOOOOOO" over their cheers ... they sat silently for the rest of the game. At first I felt bad, but then I realized that I hadn't done anything really wrong to them. Now I can laugh about it.

I love having a booming voice. You mess with them a little bit and it throws them off. I am usually louder than half a dozen of them.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
What has been my biggest surprise is how friendly the Canadian fans have been over the years. Every one I've ever dealt with has expressed how they like the arena and the city.

The only time I have had a problem with a Canadian teams fans was the Leafs in 2003. They were OSU students so they were double jerk offs. They did not shut up all night long until Tyler Wright netted his third goal in OT. :yo: When that goal was scored there were more then just hats being thrown in their direction.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
@Aportzline "#CBJ coach Todd Richards said D James Wisniewski is still quite sore, moving gingerly in dressing room this morning."

@Aportzline "Asked if Wisniewski has been diagnosed w a concussion, #CBJ coach Todd Richards said he didn't know, hasn't asked medical staff for update."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->