Pre-Game Talk: GAME #9 - Canucks @ Penguins - Saturday at 10 a.m (dun dun dunnnn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Yeah, the start time is as big an obstacle as the Pens are imo. Haven't seen any stats but I'd bet we don't have a vey good record in 10am games on the East Coast. And I bet Lu's, with his love of pre-game ritual, is even worse.

Speaking of Lu, he's been okay so far, but most nights he's been the second best goalie on the ice imo. We really need him to, at minimum, outplay Fluery tomorrow. I'm hoping his shutout last game kicks off a stretch of LuonGod level play.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I'd rather not risk Luongo getting injured to win one game. It's not about the best chance to win a couple games, its about the best chance to win in the longer term

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
intresting that they have had an easy schedule so far

we have played 8 gms and they have played 7

we both have played buff,phi,edm,njd.............. both teams 4-0.....our gf ga 15-6........ pitts 14-5

only teams with a winning record that pitts has played..... are car 5-2 w. and Tb 5-4 w

we have played mtl 1-4 L ... Cgy 5-4 w....... SJ 1-4L 1-4L

We both faced njd cory schneider( struggled in his first game...played well against us)

they had enroth and we had miller

edm they faced labarbra and we had dubynek
and we both faced mason in phi

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Possible Penguins lines:

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 6m
Lines at #Penguins practice: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis Jokinen-Malkin- Kobasew Glass-Sutter-Adams Zolnierczyk-Vitale-Engelland

The Penguins' bottom 6 isn't really much better than the Canucks', but having the two best players in the world in their top 6 makes up for that, I guess.

If I were the coach, I'd put together the Higgins-Kesler-Hansen line to be the designated shutdown unit against Crosby and put the Sedins back together with Santorelli and match them up with the Malkin line. I'd leave the bottom 6 from last game together (Booth-Schroeder-Kassian, Sestito-Richardson-Weise) and have them go mano a mano with their bottom 6.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
pitts
H NJD 3-1 W
H Buff 4-1 W
H Car 5-2 W
R Fla 3-6 L
R TB 5-4 W
H Edm 3-2 W
R Phi 4-1 W

Van
R SJ 1-4 L
H Edm 6-2 W
R Cgy 5-4 W
H NJD 3-2 W
H SJ 1-4 L
H Mtl 1-4 L
R Phi 3-2 W
R Buff 3-0 W

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
i wish the game was on at 10am, that's the normal start time for all vancouver games in my time zone

for tomorrow? 1am sunday morning start time...ugh :shakehead

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The Penguins' bottom 6 isn't really much better than the Canucks', but having the two best players in the world in their top 6 makes up for that, I guess.

It's significantly worse. Glass and Adams are both 4th liners who are worse than Weise and they're on their 3rd line.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Surely you have better things to do in life than to sleep until after 10 am. Watching a hockey game is better than sleeping in.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It's significantly worse. Glass and Adams are both 4th liners who are worse than Weise and they're on their 3rd line.

Yeah, I guess if I were being honest it is. Hopefully the Canucks can take advantage of it somehow because if Kesler indeed plays on the top line, one of the Crosby or Malkin lines will own the 2nd line.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
If the lines from practice are what we're rolling with, Santorelli vs Malkin??? :help: :cry:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
If the lines from practice are what we're rolling with, Santorelli vs Malkin??? :help: :cry:

Yeah, this is why I don't get the move to keep Kesler on the top line, despite how good it looked last game.

Of all games, this is one in which you'd want your former Selke-winner centering his own line and doing shutdown duties. Makes absolutely no sense to load up the 1st line and leave a severely under-manned 2nd line for either Malkin or Crosby to feast on.

Betamax*

Wearing my new Henrik Sedin jersey for its maiden voyage tomorrow. C'monnnnn lucky!

Yeah ... I think he's finally established himself as the "face" of the organization among players. There was ambiguity when the team had the Bobby Lu/Schneider situation as Bobby Lu was the "franchise" when he was the clear cut No. 1 and Kesler was probably the most popular player in terms of Jersey sales during the height of Canucks' success in 2011 but yeah I see the tide turning and Henrik separating himself from his brother and people seeing them more as two different individuals rather than two peas from the same pod.

Shinkaruk

Jul 13, 2013
Ontario
I like Weise... good 4th liner, certainly above average. Sestito is the weak link but he does OK against weak teams. Burrows being back will be big help. Might end up with Booth on the 4th which is kind of nuts (in a good way; or Santorelli if he really cools down).

Weise can be solid sometimes, but I've been saying for a long time now that we have to have the ability to roll four lines if we want to even get close to the cup. I think our biggest advantage is that when healthy, we have Higgins and Hansen on the third line, Booth on last. That's pretty big, add Jensen in the lineup (if he has strong performance after injury) we have even more depth. I've always liked how we have players that can sub in top 6 if we have injuries..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad