Pre-Game Talk: GAME #9 - Canucks @ Penguins - Saturday at 10 a.m (dun dun dunnnn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yeah ... I think he's finally established himself as the "face" of the organization among players. There was ambiguity when the team had the Bobby Lu/Schneider situation as Bobby Lu was the "franchise" when he was the clear cut No. 1 and Kesler was probably the most popular player in terms of Jersey sales during the height of Canucks' success in 2011 but yeah I see the tide turning and Henrik separating himself from his brother and people seeing them more as two different individuals rather than two peas from the same pod.

He's my four-year-old son's favorite player, and I had a blank jersey waiting to be customized. Always been a Hank fan, but it was Jr.'s passion for it that was the icing on the cake.

Betamax*

He's my four-year-old son's favorite player, and I had a blank jersey waiting to be customized. Always been a Hank fan, but it was Jr.'s passion for it that was the icing on the cake.

When the Canucks decided to pass the torch to a new Captain to succeed Bobby Lu ... I thought it should have went to either Bieksa (my first choice) or Kesler. But in hindsight I was wrong. The Canucks made the right decision when they handed the 'C' to Henrik.

Hal 9000*

You play to win every game.

Wjr0014 is right. The smart money is to take our chances with Lack tomorrow and play Lu. With Lu, CBJ is a near guarantee of 2 points for the weekend and if Lack can get us even 1 point than that's a successful weekend. If Lu takes Pitts and Lack CBJ, we could easily end up with zero points.

Shinkaruk

Jul 13, 2013
Ontario
Wjr0014 is right. The smart money is to take our chances with Lack tomorrow and play Lu. With Lu, CBJ is a near guarantee of 2 points for the weekend and if Lack can get us even 1 point than that's a successful weekend. If Lu takes Pitts and Lack CBJ, we could easily end up with zero points.

.....What. LOL, you do realize we are trying to get 4 points not 3, I don't even know how to respond to this...
BTW, putting Luongo against Blue Jackets isn't a "near guarantee" win... -.-

Hal 9000*

.....What. LOL, you do realize we are trying to get 4 points not 3, I don't even know how to respond to this...
BTW, putting Luongo against Blue Jackets isn't a "near guarantee" win... -.-

The goal is to get as many points as possible. It would be foolish to get shelled by Pittsburgh and then lose a close one to CBJ because of goaltending.
There are a lot of coaches that will throw their back-up to the wolves and then pocket the easier 2 pts with their starter.

If you've never seen this happen, i can understand your confusion.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Conversely, you give Lack the easier game to keep his confidence high as the possibility of getting blitzed due to inexperience or a team failure is more probable against Pittsburgh. Furthermore, playing with the expectation of winning, breeds winning. We spent much of last season with the mindset of "don't lose!" and lost as a result.

You play to win and Luongo gives us our best opportunity to do so. Pittsburgh could well be our opposition in a cup showing. I prefer we show them and everyone else why we're still an elite team. If Torts does start Lack, I expect it to be because he believes Lack can battle and win, not because he's afraid we might lose. Anything less and I would be disappointed.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Yeah, I wouldn't throw Lack to the wolves and start him against the Penguins because we might lose anyway just to get Luongo in against the Blue Jackets to nail down an 'easy' 2 points.

Luongo is the starter, he gets the tough opponents. Blue Jackets don't have much firepower, a perfect start for Lack. No need to let Malkin and Crosby make Lack look silly and lose confidence.

Pseudonymous*

ive missed the last couple games, schroeder look at all improved from last year?

Hal 9000*

There's no set rule, of course, it always depends on if you think you can realistically win both games. I'm not set in cement over this issue, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities (and not LOL worthy). I honestly believe that if things go bad tomorrow, we'll be facing CBJ with a tired team and a back-up goalie and by monday morning we could be on a 2 game losing skid - I hope not, but we'll see.

I'd choose Lack tomorrow...that's all.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
ive missed the last couple games, schroeder look at all improved from last year?

Overall, yes. He has been more aggressive, making more crisp passes and forechecking decently, albeit not enough to sustain pressure. His biggest issue lack of offense. While he's been generating good chances with Kassian. They are somewhat fleeting and I'd argue it has been Kassian doing more of the work.

That said, Schroeder is coming off an injury and the fact he has played aggressive right from the onset leads me to believe this is just some rust he's working off.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
remember the last time there was an afternoon game in pittsburgh granted that was in their old building.. luongo was hurt? a save and he did the splits? or something and that was that. imo he was never the same after that injury.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
There's no set rule, of course, it always depends on if you think you can realistically win both games. I'm not set in cement over this issue, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities (and not LOL worthy). I honestly believe that if things go bad tomorrow, we'll be facing CBJ with a tired team and a back-up goalie and by monday morning we could be on a 2 game losing skid - I hope not, but we'll see.

I'd choose Lack tomorrow...that's all.

What does it do to team morale, if you don't ice your best lineup, in order to stack your team against a weaker opponent? Basically throwing in the towel against a good team, so you can beat up on a bad one.

The message that sends, to me, is that you don't believe your team is good enough to hang with Pittsburgh, so won't even give it an honest effort. Not really the winning culture we're trying to build here.
Try convincing this team that is worth the effort against good teams in the playoffs, when your coach doesn't have faith in you to beat them in the regular season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad