Post-Game Talk: Game 84, same as the previous 83.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Serious note. Bear needs to be up here. Benning needs some seasoning in the ECHL. We will look a lot better with two NHL level pairings. Dont know what the f*** we're going to do about KlefLars

Reactions: Oilers in NS

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Some terrible missed calls in that game.

Chara throws his stick at MCDavid
Backes with the biggest 2 handed slash I’ve seen in a long time
The hit from behind on benning that knocked the glass out.

All three were plays that both of the officials would have clearly seen. Yet no one called anything. I get that some hooks or picks or highsticks might be missed, but those were so blatant.

Reactions: TB12 and McDaddy

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I wouldn't be opposed to blowing up the entire team outside of McDavid if this keeps up much longer. We can blame Todd all we want and I've been one of his biggest detractors but I honestly don't think a coaching change will make a big difference (it would be Gulutzan btw). Team needs a facelift, again.
Yes, it's just Game 2 but for me, it's Game 84 and they are getting worse and worse.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Chiarelli has to identify a bottom pairing RHD that can be acquired for Kassian and/or a 3rd round pick. Playing Benning regularly is costing the team wins. That or roll the dice with Bear, who struggled last season, but can't be worse.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Better effort tonight.

If Klefbom and Larsson play like they did in the first period, we are in for a long year.

I didnt think the team created much offensively. The lines really lack chemistry. Draisaitl looked better tonight but people have been saying since last year that he needs help. TM has had so much time to try and figure something out, but hes so stubborn and doesnt try new things. Third and fourth lines were pretty blah.

I thought they settled in better defensively in the second and third period. They were better getting the puck out of their zone tonight.

TM cost this team tonight. He makes the same poor decisions over and over. Cagguila is not a good defensive forward, why is he on the PK? Benning is really struggling, why is he playing on the PK as much as he is? The PP doesnt work, yet he keeps going with it. Team continuously loses momentum on the PP.

I really dont think TM is the person to coach the team. He doesnt put his players in a position to succeed. Hopefully they dont wait too long to make the change.

Reactions: Cypress

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
McDavid, Draisaitl, Drake, Russell, Bouchard weren't awful.

Klefbom is so unbelievably bad. Takes 3-4 seconds just holding the puck before he can make a decision. I loved him looking off McDavid just so he could slowly gain center and dump it in.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Maybe it's just me, but I found him to be generally useless all game. When you have an 8.5 million dollar price tag on you, you're expected to be at least average.

Overall, I've never seen such little offensive pressure from a hockey team. Not due to coaching, not due to reffing, just due to a pure lack of talent. Was there a single shift where the Oilers spent more than 30 seconds in the offensive zone? In both the Jersey and Boston games.

For those wanting Pulju up in the lineup tonight, the dude literally did absolutely nothing all night. Like there is only so much you can blame on who he is playing with. He was horrendous.

Yeah what did Puljujarvi play? 7 or 8 minutes? He only had 2 minutes in the 1st. Can’t expect much from a player who gets singled out in practice and then stapled to the bench. He looked so good in preseason and Todd has sucked the life out of the kid already it seems. Do Jesse a favor and let him play for a coach that will play him to his strengths instead of his weaknesses.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Good:

McDavid
Nuge
Draisaitl
Caggiula
Rieder
Khaira
Bouchard
Russell

Okay:

Talbot
Rattie - oops forgot him
Lucic
Yamamoto

Poor:

Pulju
Strome
Kassian
Nurse
Klefbom
Larsson
The PK

Very Poor:

Benning
The Refs

Last edited:
Reactions: Canada Drai

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
How much more can they honestly expect us to take?
The only option for Edmonton to get a team is to trade McDavid.
McD deserves better, and he's really the only assett that can return some peices to build a team...other than him, who we got?
none of our players are worth anything on the market.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Let's hope it's jet lag but there appears to be fundamental issues with this team. Too slow and unskilled. I flip over to the flames game and it was night and day. That game was fast and skilled. the puck was moving around and getting possessed and handled with skill and intelligence. The oilers play ugly ugly slow hockey that seems sloppy awkward and uncoordinated. Part coaching, part personnel? Man this is not going to be an easy fix for Chia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad