Post-Game Talk: Game 84, same as the previous 83.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’d say Brodziak was brought in to be that type of guy. Garrison is also that type of guy. Both well known for being solid veteran leaders. Russell is another one of those guys. We have them. The fans just don’t appreciate them.
No, they usually aren’t the type of players the fans appreciate.

I thought Brodziak and Garrison might be those types too. Guess we’ll see.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Thoughts
Not sure why many posters feel the need to chastise others for those negativity. The whole league, media, and fans of other teams have realized and commented on how bad we look. Why should our passionate fan base be any different?

Something needs to change. Players / coaches / GM / upper mgmt / systems - I have no idea. But part of the problem is also the reason everyone is fed up this early. NOTHING changes. This looks identical to last year's team and the way it was coached.

For those praising some players and crucifying others - that's warranted too. And it's only opinion, which is what this board should be about. Personally I don't feel that Drai has even showed up yet this season, and Benning is way over his head. Just my opinion and I don't know the fix to this but I would try SOMETHING different. Again - frustrating.

And yes I agree that we have / had veterrn leadership. Rej is extremely respected. Perhaps his loss is more than just a porous D.

Fans are nervous and I feel we should be. We are an incredibly supportive group, amongst the best in any sport in any city, and we are potentially looking at another season where we have nothing to cheer for by the halfway point. And nothing seems to change.

And the garbage about the city - are you kidding? I've been here for decades and there's nothing wrong with what Edmonton has to offer. Especially to the athlete. Fishbowl at times, but absolute adoration for the most part. I challenge anyone to look up this city's hockey history prior to the NHL. You'll realize we are blessed. Add to that the greatest player ever to play shined brightest here and we have the greatest player in the game currently. If you're a winner, why wouldn't you play here? To me, it's management's ineptness if players don't want to come here.
Do you think the Jets have a goid team? I do. I was born in Winnipeg - I'll say no more.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Devils kicked ass in their 1st game back while the Oilers took another small dump in the corner.

This game was my personal criteria for seeing how the Oilers were going to do this season... based on the level of bounceback and resilience that was shown last night after that 1st game dud (not a lot obviously)... I'm not as optimistic as I was coming into the season.

I guess jokes on me for being fairly optimistic and hoping they would actually come out with fire and a strong effort out of pride and wanting to collectively start the year as strongly as possible.

I'm resigned to the fact that they don't have the talent level to be more than a mediocre team... but I thought they could somewhat overcome that with a level of effort and improved systems play that would drive them towards becoming at least an average team.

90-95 pts (what I thought they might possibly achieve this year) seems well out of range of what is possible in this current team configuration (players/coaches/systems and overall effort levels).

I'll continue to watch and be a fan of the team but I'm basically going to take it as it comes in terms of what to expect from them. I'm neutral towards their play going forward... won't expect a lot... and won't get undone if/when they shit the bed either. Apathy? Reality.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I feel kinda bad about my harsh, drunken venting on this forum last night, considering I've usually made a point of trying to temper negativity. I thought the team looked not that bad against Boston, other than most of the first when they allowed three goals in a short span. Still not a fan of TMac, but if we need to spend another year waiting for our talent to develop that is ok I guess. I'm still holding out hope that the team will snap out of it and/or that they're still learning this year's systems and struggling not fall back into last year's habits.

Reactions: PulYou

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I feel kinda bad about my harsh, drunken venting on this forum last night, considering I've usually made a point of trying to temper negativity. I thought the team looked not that bad against Boston, other than most of the first when they allowed three goals in a short span. Still not a fan of TMac, but if we need to spend another year waiting for our talent to develop that is ok I guess. I'm still holding out hope that the team will snap out of it and/or that they're still learning this year's systems and struggling not fall back into last year's habits.
The thing is for me, if we are going to be bad like last year. (9th last), and the season is clearly in the shitter. Then why dont we just tank for the 1st pick. Its pretty embarrassing that we need even more first overalls, but wouldnt you rather have Dahlin right now. Or have Hughes over say Krebs in the next draft? If we are clearly out of it by November, then just tank, try to shed salary. Draft another stud and come back stronger, faster, better with new management and coaching.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
The thing is for me, if we are going to be bad like last year. (9th last), and the season is clearly in the ****ter. Then why dont we just tank for the 1st pick. Its pretty embarrassing that we need even more first overalls, but wouldnt you rather have Dahlin right now. Or have Hughes over say Krebs in the next draft? If we are clearly out of it by November, then just tank, try to shed salary. Draft another stud and come back stronger, faster, better with new management and coaching.

Yeah, and in the process Todd McLellan would be fired.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Benning got beaten by two guys on one of the crucial goals against in the first. He should have taken the body at one point there. If the Oilers don't have an adequate defensive system and goaltending, they should put more energy into offensive rushes, puck support, and heavy forechecking. With their big two centres (McDavid and Draisaitl), they sort of already have the tools for that.

Last edited:

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
The thing is for me, if we are going to be bad like last year. (9th last), and the season is clearly in the ****ter. Then why dont we just tank for the 1st pick. Its pretty embarrassing that we need even more first overalls, but wouldnt you rather have Dahlin right now. Or have Hughes over say Krebs in the next draft? If we are clearly out of it by November, then just tank, try to shed salary. Draft another stud and come back stronger, faster, better with new management and coaching.

To me I think it's important to try to do as well as possible and establish some dignity, rather than encourage the team to become ok with losing again. We never know if we might win/lose the draft lottery anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->