GDT: Game 82: Blues @ Avs |4/7 7pm MT|Just win a game please

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Ya it's great to celebrate this victory together and a successful season after the hell of last year. I want to give a shoutout to maybe our most unheralded player on the roster, Matt Nieto. The guy knows his role and can play. Has more skill than people think and rarely makes a bad decision with the puck. Amazing waiver pickup who should be a staple in the lineup for the next few years.

Definitely. I thought him and Soda as well as Captain Average did very well all season as depth forwards. Unfortunately, Captain Average looked quite bad at the end but I'll give him some slack due to him coming back from injury.

Super pumped still for this victory. Someone needs to provide a gif of the Girard ankle break against Schenn stat. I think there was one floating around but I can't find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murzu

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Ya it's great to celebrate this victory together and a successful season after the hell of last year. I want to give a shoutout to maybe our most unheralded player on the roster, Matt Nieto. The guy knows his role and can play. Has more skill than people think and rarely makes a bad decision with the puck. Amazing waiver pickup who should be a staple in the lineup for the next few years.

Being in Cali, there are a lot of Sharks fans around here and a lot of them are still upset about Nieto going on waivers. Should be a great 3rd liner here for a long while.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No matter what happens, I bet Landeskog will either be goat or GOAT after the game.

And now we know the answer.

Of course the best player on the ice was sporting the number 49. Girard was a beast in all three zones, scored the game's first goal, played insane minutes, threw down some huge hits, and broke Brayden Schenn's ankles for good measure. Amazing, amazing player. Amazing game. And a hell of a season.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Definitely. I thought him and Soda as well as Captain Average did very well all season as depth forwards. Unfortunately, Captain Average looked quite bad at the end but I'll give him some slack due to him coming back from injury.

Super pumped still for this victory. Someone needs to provide a gif of the Girard ankle break against Schenn stat. I think there was one floating around but I can't find it.

Captain average was good on the pk and despite his terrible penalties and killing plays in the o zone he rarely causes dangerous chances against by giving it away in the neutral zone or defensive zone.

For a veteran third liner on a playoff bubble team you can't ask for much more.

Hopefully he gets pushed down to the fourth next year. Assuming he's even brought back.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Also I think the 4 days off should do the team some good. Up until last night the team looked exhausted. Hopefully a rested top line can keep up the momentum from last nights emotional win.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Also I think the 4 days off should do the team some good. Up until last night the team looked exhausted. Hopefully a rested top line can keep up the momentum from last nights emotional win.

They've been playing the first line 22-23 minutes a game down the stretch.

member 116861

Captain average was good on the pk and despite his terrible penalties and killing plays in the o zone he rarely causes dangerous chances against by giving it away in the neutral zone or defensive zone.

For a veteran third liner on a playoff bubble team you can't ask for much more.

Hopefully he gets pushed down to the fourth next year. Assuming he's even brought back.

Isn't Colin Wilson, Captain Average?

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
And now we know the answer.

Of course the best player on the ice was sporting the number 49. Girard was a beast in all three zones, scored the game's first goal, played insane minutes, threw down some huge hits, and broke Brayden Schenn's ankles for good measure. Amazing, amazing player. Amazing game. And a hell of a season.

Don't forget the key shot block that he went down for point blank without hesitation in the 2nd.

Reactions: MarkT and Murzu

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Damn, we actually won 56% of face-offs.

Led again by the Captain. Landy was 73% going 8 for 11.

Kerfoot had a good night too with 59% going 10 for 17.

Haven't seen how the numbers break down but I think they came back to earth a bit after the first. There was a point later where they couldn't get out of their zone and kept icing it, and lost like 4-5 face-offs in a row with multiple guys. I was pulling my hair out watching.

Reactions: Murzu and BrickAHL

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I've only been able to watch the game highlights mostly recently because I work nights now, but since when have we had Landy taking faceoffs? And why didn't we do it sooner?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I've only been able to watch the game highlights mostly recently because I work nights now, but since when have we had Landy taking faceoffs? And why didn't we do it sooner?

He's taking them in the left circle in the offensive zone from time to time. He and Rantanen have decent faceoff stats, especially considering they sometimes have to be the second guy in.

member 116861

He usually takes left side and Nate takes the right side ones. (I think)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

He took them every once in a while in the past, but it really started last season after Iggy was traded. They used him in similar situations to win with his strength.

It started under Roy where they mainly used lefties on the left side, and righties on the right, regardless of position. Not sure if they got that from other teams, but it felt like the Avs were one of, if not the first to start doing it that way.

They pretty much never use a guy to win a faceoff on his off side anymore.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Haven't seen how the numbers break down but I think they came back to earth a bit after the first. There was a point later where they couldn't get out of their zone and kept icing it, and lost like 4-5 face-offs in a row with multiple guys. I was pulling my hair out watching.

I know it's gonna sound like I'm dogpiling him Rantanen-style, but Nemeth killed the Avs' momentum temporarily with two really dumb icings, both times he had time and space to do something better with it. But whatever, I wouldn't say his performance was bad last night, those were just two plays that stuck out to me for bad reasons last night.

Reactions: MarkT and Murzu

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I know it's gonna sound like I'm dogpiling him Rantanen-style, but Nemeth killed the Avs' momentum temporarily with two really dumb icings, both times he had time and space to do something better with it. But whatever, I wouldn't say his performance was bad last night, those were just two plays that stuck out to me for bad reasons last night.

That's the only thing I don't like about Nemeth. He ices the puck all the time but when hes on the PK he can't ice it to save his life.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Bednar seems to be a big on deploying guys on face-offs depending on which side of the ice we're on. He'd mostly put Duchene on the draws if it was on his strong side, same with Iggy IIRC.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

They did start off hot, but in the 2nd and 3rd they were able to win some key face-offs. Especially in the third. They didn't dominate the whole game, but just pulling closer to 50/50 and winning some at the right times helped IMO. Usually you just assume any face off is an auto loss, and it wasn't like that in this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad