Post-Game Talk: Game 8: Penalty Kill It With Fire | Blackhawks @ Devils | 6:30 CT (WGN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
He looked smoother this game.

agreed, seemed to me like he was smooth or fluid, no hesitation, looked to be in a rhythm and that is great to see...

now the hawks need to stop taking idiotic PIMs and fix the PK and find a top 6 winger

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Nah, you can see this across the league with teams that had more than a few players partake in the World Cup of Hockey. The preseason is important to get players used to each other and the system and when many of your players aren't playing in the preseason, they'll have to figure out during the season.

While you would normally see teams starting to figure it out right around now, it's going to take a bit longer this season. The Hawks have it especially difficult, seeing as they have so many new / rookie players on the team. Give it time, they'll get there.

Many people just don't seem to understand any of what you said... chemistry takes time. Doesn't happen overnight

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Toews and Kane didn't look great together. Have they lost all the chemistry? I mean, when Kane is on the ice with Panarin and Anisimov, it immediately becomes obvious, they're clicking. When he's on the ice with Toews, it's still a total chaos and randomness. Of course, it's just one game...

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Nah, you can see this across the league with teams that had more than a few players partake in the World Cup of Hockey. The preseason is important to get players used to each other and the system and when many of your players aren't playing in the preseason, they'll have to figure out during the season.

While you would normally see teams starting to figure it out right around now, it's going to take a bit longer this season. The Hawks have it especially difficult, seeing as they have so many new / rookie players on the team. Give it time, they'll get there.
I hope so, but the process isn't pretty to watch. And even if I think this is more of a system issue, be it the players needing time to gel or a coaching failure, I still am concerned about Toews and Keith in particular. Toews hasn't looked like a Top 5 center for a long time now and Keith hasn't been all that good either, both of them have struggled for over a year now. People seem more forgiving with Keith, probably due to his insane playoffs 2015 and his contract being cheaper, but he hasn't quite maintained his admittedly sky high standards either. If those two are actually declining, the Hawks are in trouble, because even though Kane is probably the most talented of the three, this team goes as 19 and 2 go.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Toews and Kane didn't look great together. Have they lost all the chemistry? I mean, when Kane is on the ice with Panarin and Anisimov, it immediately becomes obvious, they're clicking. When he's on the ice with Toews, it's still a total chaos and randomness. Of course, it's just one game...

Given the CF% of Toews and Kane on the ice together thus far this season is a ludicrous 81.25%, Id say their chemistry is fine.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
They excelled together when they had someone like Bickell doing the dirty work in front of the net and allowing them to play off of each other, not too dissimilar to Panarin and Kane, only with Toews not playing on the perimeter, but rather in the slot. Toews doesn't play like that right now though, the creative spark has gone missing from his game, when was the last time he really awed the crowd with a slick move, or an amazing pass?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

ya I don't think its the answer, Q has found one winger for Toews in Panik, as much as I don't want Hossa back up on JT's line perhaps its time to get Hossa back up there and see what happens...BUT stan needs to find a top 6 winger.....

panik-JT-Hossa
PArty
motte-schmaltz-hartman
Kruger with any two of moose/call up/desi/tooto

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Given the CF% of Toews and Kane on the ice together thus far this season is a ludicrous 81.25%, Id say their chemistry is fine.
That too though. They haven't been especially flashy when on the ice together for the last year, but I hardly remember them playing in their own zone.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
They excelled together when they had someone like Bickell doing the dirty work in front of the net and allowing them to play off of each other, not too dissimilar to Panarin and Kane, only with Toews not playing on the perimeter, but rather in the slot. Toews doesn't play like that right now though, the creative spark has gone missing from his game, when was the last time he really awed the crowd with a slick move, or an amazing pass?

The pass across the slot to Hossa on the backdoor not fancy enough for you?

And Toews' avg shot distance this season is 14.93 feet. Easily the shortest on the team, so Im not sure how hes a 'perimeter' player when hes getting closer to the net with the puck than anyone.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
At least we got the win...Crow continues where he left off last game and our best player. Lot's of issues but on to the next one. Really liking Panik.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
The pass across the slot to Hossa on the backdoor not fancy enough for you?

And Toews' avg shot distance this season is 14.93 feet. Easily the shortest on the team, so Im not sure how hes a 'perimeter' player when hes getting closer to the net with the puck than anyone.
I'm thinking more how he undressed Orpik in the Stadium Series two years ago. And I did forget to mention that I meant 5on5, he's been plenty fancy and impressive with more space on the ice, as evidenced by his ludicrous 3on3 performances last season. It was a great pass. Good play. But honestly it's also a pass that I expect a player of his calibre to make.

And I didn't say that he's a perimeter player. Quite the opposite actually. I think he does a little too much of the dirty work nowadays.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I know nothing about tonight's game other than the score. Can I assume we gave up two pp goals?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I know nothing about tonight's game other than the score. Can I assume we gave up two pp goals?

We only gave up one goal on the power play. We actually played well on the penalty kill and pressured the puck. We're getting better on the PK. Really!

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
The Hawks are actually 4-1-1 their last 6 games. That is hard to believe

Nice observation! That doesn't feel right at all.

We only gave up one goal on the power play. We actually played well on the penalty kill and pressured the puck. We're getting better on the PK. Really!

Pk get's fixed and were good. Lack of focus, puck watching, sloppy play on pk or whatever but the goal against tonight had 3 Hawks near Devil player and no one touched him. Similar pk story so far this season but different game.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Pk get's fixed and were good. Lack of focus, puck watching, sloppy play on pk or whatever but the goal against tonight had 3 Hawks near Devil player and no one touched him. Similar pk story so far this season but different game.

Actually, I thought our 5x5 play was weak on the road tonight. We were caught looking several times, but Crow saved us. However, I thought our PK was pretty good. We got in the passing lanes and pressured the puck. Heck, we even won face offs. We just have to clear the puck better on 50/50 situations.

Stealing two points on the road is a good thing AND we're seeing progress on the PK. Were we great tonight? Absolutely not. But we managed to keep it close and scored when we needed to. That's huge.

That being said, I wish Q just kept Panarin - AA - Kane together. They just work off each other well. Try Schmaltz - Toews - Panik. It could work ... although I don't know who'd center the third line.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Schmaltz-Toews-Panik makes the most sense in the long term.

Id go with Motte-Kruger-Hossa as the shutdown line and Hartman/Hino-Ras-Desi/Tootoo as the 4th, bum-slaying line.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Man, your line is for the thread about advanced statistics on the main board, and I'm a mere hockey fan, who prefers to make his conclusions out of watching games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad