GDT: Game 8 | Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D (HD) ‎

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Columbus is a good team. Their stats don't back it up but they can compete with the top teams in the league. We've beat up on them for so long that it's impossible for some fans to respect they can win. Johnson played 35 minutes, set a 7 year record for TOI. Blue Jackets played us hard, close, and Bobrovski was also good in net.

Not to add insult to injury but that was MASON in goal. I know hard to believe but it was.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
On the upside, Brunner with 4 goals in his first 8 NHL games. That's pretty impressive.

And Franzen with another goal. That's points in 6 out of 8 games for Franzen. He's off to a hot start.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
On the upside, Brunner with 4 goals in his first 8 NHL games. That's pretty impressive.

And Franzen with another goal. That's points in 6 out of 8 games for Franzen. He's off to a hot start.

Oooor you can look at it as:

Brunner with two "useless" goals with a goal with 3 seconds left when opponent leading 2-0, and a goal with 30secs left when opponent leading 4-1.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Brunner with two "useless" goals with a goal with 3 seconds left when opponent leading 2-0, and a goal with 30secs left when opponent leading 4-1.

To counter your counter-argument: sure, those 2 goals didn't seal a win or push a game to OT, but maybe it continues to give the guy confidence to keep shooting, which is something this team needs to do more of, especially the skill guys.

Would have been weird in either case for him to pull a Bertuzzi blind drop pass instead of taking the shot, and then in the post-game interview say that he didn't bother shooting b/c the goal wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

You're not going to ruin my Sunday morning buzz!

You can degrade the goals all you want, but he's an undrafted 27-year-old player from Switzerland who is scoring NHL goals. That's impressive and surprising no matter how much negativity you spin on it.

As somebody who expected him to struggle, I'm surprised he's doing so well. The way he's playing is NHL quality and he'll have a professional NHL career now. That's awesome for him. It's a great story. It's part of why I love sports.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm

You can degrade the goals all you want, but he's an undrafted 27-year-old player from Switzerland who is scoring NHL goals. That's impressive and surprising no matter how much negativity you spin on it.

As somebody who expected him to struggle, I'm surprised he's doing so well. The way he's playing is NHL quality and he'll have a professional NHL career now. That's awesome for him. It's a great story. It's part of why I love sports.

That's it, Bench! I'm with you in the buzz! :handclap:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Bad game, well deserved loss. Howie looked like he needed rest. D was brutal. Forwards kept turning the puck over. I think they may have taken Columbus too lightly, again. Or just tired from last night.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Bad game, well deserved loss. Howie looked like he needed rest. D was brutal. Forwards kept turning the puck over. I think they may have taken Columbus too lightly, again. Or just tired from last night.

Neither. The team's just not that good. The Red Wings are too professional and veteran to "take a team lightly." They know they can lose to or beat any team on any given night. And "tired"? Come on. Are we going to use that excuse for 11 more losses this season?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Neither. The team's just not that good. The Red Wings are too professional and veteran to "take a team lightly." They know they can lose to or beat any team on any given night. And "tired"? Come on. Are we going to use that excuse for 11 more losses this season?

Nope, but it's going to be a reason, especially after a special game like Friday night. You can take a team seriously, but if you don't have the legs to skate it won't matter. On the other hand, Wings played Blues on their back half of a back to back and no one here is going to feel sorry for the Blues. It's not an excuse but it's the reality for all teams. What it comes down to in games like that is to simplify and and not make too many mistakes, and the Wings did a really poor job with that.

Here's some telling stats:
Blocked shots: CBJ 16, DET 5.
Hits: CJB 29, DET 11.
Takeaways: CBJ 10, DET 4.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nope, but it's going to be a reason, especially after a special game like Friday night. You can take a team seriously, but if you don't have the legs to skate it won't matter. On the other hand, Wings played Blues on their back half of a back to back and no one here is going to feel sorry for the Blues. It's not an excuse but it's the reality for all teams. What it comes down to in games like that is to simplify and and not make too many mistakes, and the Wings did a really poor job with that.

Here's some telling stats:
Blocked shots: CBJ 16, DET 5.
Hits: CJB 29, DET 11.
Takeaways: CBJ 10, DET 4.

Worth noting: the scorekeepers at the Nat historically have had a tendency to overcount hits.

RedWingsNow*

Ah yes, the inspiring story of Damien Toucan Sam Brunner, who somehow survived his child-star fame - known to many as the bird in the breakfast cereal commercials -- overcame his impaired vision (impaired by his nose) and became an NHL hockey player

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
Ah yes, the inspiring story of Damien Toucan Sam Brunner, who somehow survived his child-star fame - known to many as the bird in the breakfast cereal commercials -- overcame his impaired vision (impaired by his nose) and became an NHL hockey player

Sounds like somebody is jealous.:sarcasm:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Bob might have a sweet tooth for these kid's cereals. The avatar, the constant Fruit Loops references. And I swear every argument he huffs off mumbling about his lucky charms.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Bob might have a sweet tooth for these kid's cereals. The avatar, the constant Fruit Loops references. And I swear every argument he huffs off mumbling about his lucky charms.

:handclap:

Toucan Sam is a hero to many.

Not me, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad