GDT: Game 8 | Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D (HD) ‎

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Awesome effort tonight. Kronwall blindly throwing the puck to Asinmov, another short handed goal given up

Terrible giveaway by Kronner, and boy did Howard look tiny in net on that shot. Was slouched very low on his post short-side.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Awesome effort tonight. Kronwall blindly throwing the puck to Asinmov, another short handed goal given up

Terrible play by Kronwall, but not exactly out of character either. But man oh man, what a hard stop and shot by AA- looked like Mario Lemieux from a tough angle. And his 2nd goal was pretty sweet also, good set of hands on that guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hey, the Wings have no scoring depth but it's more important for him to play 20 mins at a lower level. Because the DRW winning hockey games is a secondary concern. :facepalm:

I thought having a bottom 6 that can score goals puts you into a better position to win hockey games. I must have misunderstood.

we like our team*

Our bottom 6 has virtually no offensive talent. Only guy I think is decent offensively is Eaves. I like what I've seen from Emmerton too I guess, he creates chances for himself.

Miller, Cleary, Abby, Tootoo. Can't really rely on these guys to score you many goals. We need some scoring depth. Nyquist or Tatar needs to come up for one of these turds.

eaves isn't any more of a goal scorer than those players and he's just as invisible most of the time

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I thought having a bottom 6 that can score goals puts you into a better position to win hockey games. I must have misunderstood.

Winning hockey games often requires outscoring the opposition. Having 3 or 4 lines that can score goals rather than just 1 or 2 can definitely help if your goal is to outscore the opposition. Of course some would argue making sure your minor league team is good is a larger concern than having your top team outscore the opposition. Which, studies have shown, can help you win hockey games.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
Maybe Holland could trade another first round pick for some defenseman no one else wants as a replacement for Smith.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Winning hockey games often requires outscoring the opposition. Having 3 or 4 lines that can score goals rather than just 1 or 2 can definitely help if your goal is to outscore the opposition. Of course some would argue making sure your minor league team is good is a larger concern than having your top team outscore the opposition. Which, studies have shown, can help you win hockey games.

What do you think the best solution is to distributing the scoring on the roster, so that there is not so much pressure on the top 2 lines to carry the team?

I like the physicality of the 4th line with Tootoo and if Abby is in his right spot. Emmerton has played well I think this year, and has started winning draws pretty well.

I have an issue with the 3rd line. Cleary really just provides nothing offensively even strength, and looks very outmatched on the PP. Miller is a very good forward for the PK, and is very good positioning wise defensively. But he provides very little offensively as well. If that is your 3rd line with Helm or Abby as the center, they are going to really struggle to give you consistent offense. Sammy coming back from injury could help out this line maybe, but he did not look great the beginning of the season.

Just thought maybe the injection of some young skilled guys who are eager to compete could help this team, but I am just spitballing here.

edit: Eaves is the guy who plays on the 3rd line as well, usually over Miller. I think he has the best shot of these guys in our bottom 6, but he looks a little tenative out there to me since coming back from injury, looks like he is still adjusting.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2012
Surprised Smith was able to stay out there for a bit considering it seems like a serious injury. Gotta give him some credit, he's a tough kid.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
What do you think the best solution is to distributing the scoring on the roster, so that there is not so much pressure on the top 2 lines to carry the team?

I like the physicality of the 4th line with Tootoo and if Abby is in his right spot. Emmerton has played well I think this year, and has started winning draws pretty well.

I have an issue with the 3rd line. Cleary really just provides nothing offensively even strength, and looks very outmatched on the PP. Miller is a very good forward for the PK, and is very good positioning wise defensively. But he provides very little offensively as well. If that is your 3rd line with Helm or Abby as the center, they are going to really struggle to give you consistent offense. Sammy coming back from injury could help out this line maybe, but he did not look great the beginning of the season.

Just thought maybe the injection of some young skilled guys who are eager to compete could help this team, but I am just spitballing here.

I was mostly joking/having fun with my reply. There are some who would argue Gus Nyquist, PPG player in the AHL for two years running, is better served playing in GR instead of helping the DRW score goals. Silly kids.

Heck, I'm about ready to go buck wild and have some fun. The top two lines seem OK for now, what we clearly lack is any offensive skill at all on our bottom 6. What would I do to address that? I would seriously give this a shot:

Miller-Abby-Tootoo
Nyquist-Emmerton-Tatar

What the hell do you have to lose? Then when Helm gets healthy you can send either Tatar or Nyquist down if necessary. Nyquist and Tatar are both skilled guys who could give us some scoring punch in our bottom 6. With only 1 to 2 lines that currently can score goals it's pretty easy to defend us. Put together another line that is tough to play against along with one more scoring line and see what happens.

Last edited:

CloneHakanPlease*

I was mostly joking/having fun with my reply. There are some who would argue Gus Nyquist, PPG player in the AHL for two years running, is better served playing in GR and not helping the DRW score goals. Silly kids.

Heck, I'm about ready to go buck wild and have some fun. The top two lines seem OK for now, what we clearly lack is any offensive skill at all on our bottom 6. What would I do to address that? I would seriously give this a shot:

Miller-Abby-Tootoo
Nyquist-Emmerton-Tatar

What the hell do you have to lose? Then when Helm gets healthy you can send either Tatar or Nyquist down if necessary. Nyquist and Tatar are both skilled guys who could give us some scoring punch in our bottom 6. With only 1 to 2 lines that currently can score goals it's pretty easy to defend us. Put together another line that is tough to play against along with one more scoring line and see what happens.

Those lines are impossible. Jman has already assured me that it is impossible to bring Nyquist up

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Terrible play by Kronwall, but not exactly out of character either. But man oh man, what a hard stop and shot by AA- looked like Mario Lemieux from a tough angle. And his 2nd goal was pretty sweet also, good set of hands on that guy.

No doubt, AA had an awesome snipe there. The bigger problem for us is that our #1 dman has been on the ice for 10 of the last 13 goals against. Kronwall is kinda getting exposed as the season goes on. :help:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Missed the 1st, but what a bad effort from the group tonight. I'd be fine if guys like Franzen weren't producing because of being snake bitten/ not getting bounces, but he never moves his ass. Seems so disinterested in being a part of this team.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Columbus is a good team. Their stats don't back it up but they can compete with the top teams in the league. We've beat up on them for so long that it's impossible for some fans to respect they can win. Johnson played 35 minutes, set a 7 year record for TOI. Blue Jackets played us hard, close, and Bobrovski was also good in net.

This season is proving how big an effect back to back games is. We were drained.

An even bigger effect is special teams, and Detroit must continue to practice and practice again our powerplays. Somethings got to give.

Lets not forget we're playing 5 men short. Helm and Sammy together could complete a point getting 3rd line. The Wings are hurting right now and with Lashoff and Huskins we have a patchwork assembly of barely serviceable D men. Huskins is a descent hockey player but does not appear to be in the best shape.

There were questions in the post game about Howard, doubting him is silly. The 2nd goal was a complete giveaway and the 3rd Anisimov was given way too much room near the net. Both goals I couldn't help notice Franzen entering the frame way late. Howard has been unbelievable, he's so good fans have come to expect him to be radar perfect every single shot. We should have had more than one(or 2) goal this game.

Like most of us my only real question/concern is that Cleary is not put down on the 4th line. Can't management see that Cleary is not what he used to be? Yet, sadly there is no one proving they can do anything better in Cleary's position. I am all for bringing in Nyquist/Tatar into the bottom 6, at least until Helm is returned.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Columbus is a good team. Their stats don't back it up but they can compete with the top teams in the league. We've beat up on them for so long that it's impossible for some fans to respect they can win. Johnson played 35 minutes, set a 7 year record for TOI. Blue Jackets played us hard, close, and Bobrovski was also good in net.

This season is proving how big an effect back to back games is. We were drained.

An even bigger effect is special teams, and Detroit must continue to practice and practice again our powerplays. Somethings got to give.

Lets not forget we're playing 5 men short. Helm and Sammy together could complete a point getting 3rd line. The Wings are hurting right now and with Lashoff and Huskins we have a patchwork assembly of barely serviceable D men. Huskins is a descent hockey player but does not appear to be in the best shape.

There were questions in the post game about Howard, doubting him is silly. The 2nd goal was a complete giveaway and the 3rd Anisimov was given way too much room near the net. Both goals I couldn't help notice Franzen entering the frame way late. Howard has been unbelievable, he's so good fans have come to expect him to be radar perfect every single shot. We should have had more than one(or 2) goal this game.

Like most of us my only real question/concern is that Cleary is not put down on the 4th line. Can't management see that Cleary is not what he used to be? Yet, sadly there is no one proving they can do anything better in Cleary's position. I am all for bringing in Nyquist/Tatar into the bottom 6, at least until Helm is returned.

You can't defend Howard. He did not play and it is more than obvious.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad