Post-Game Talk: Game #8: Canucks 2, Bruins 1 (OT)

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Fun team to watch! They seem a lot faster and harder to play against than last season (probably due to No Sedins, Vanek & Gagner). The role players are really stepping up and seems like everyone is buying in and playing hard. Boeser seems to be finding his stride! Both goalies are playing decent, not sure if it holds up. Some unlikely players deserve some credit...

M. Granlund +4 - Guy is like a Swiss Army knife, can play either wing, and has filled in decently at Center. Great job penalty killing, good puck retriever on the forecheck.

L. Eriksson +2 - Our best defensive winger, reliable in all 3 zones. Stabilizes any line he’s on. 6M is a joke for this guy as he’s offensively invisible, but contract aside he’s a very dependable middle 6 winger.

D. Pouliot +3 - has impressed me, he and Stecher have looked solid together, should be given a look on the first pp unit.

Roussel - Sutter - Eriksson: Did a great job against one of the best lines in hockey.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
They play well at the start of every season then injuries hit, bam!

See, been here for a while and unlucky for you, I'll be here for a while yet.
Injuries hit every team, bam! Winnipeg and Tampa, to name two, have been more unlucky, but when you build a good team with depth, injuries are a poor excuse, bam!

See, been here for a while and unlucky for you, I'll be here for a while.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Boeser is getting tons of chances. Last night he could have had 3-4 goals. Probably would scored if he shot in overtime.

Feels like brock is ready to break out

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They play well at the start of every season then injuries hit, bam!

See, been here for a while and unlucky for you, I'll be here for a while yet.

So you think this team is mid-level or better save for injuries? That this has been the aspect holding this team back for the last 3 years?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Baertschi doesn’t seem to fit in the top 6, he had his best game playing with Sutter & Virtanen when he scored 2 goals. Greener has tried Roussel, Motte, Leipsic & Goldobin on the top line. Bo & Brock looked good with Goldy last night but I expect him to play with EP when he gets back. Who will be the top line Left winger as it’s a revolving door right now?

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I agree with people Boeser is getting better and better and hopefully will soon be at where he left off last year, but one area where he needs the most improvement IMO is getting his shot back to where it was. Now he still is shooting it hard, but last year his shot was quicker and more elusive i thought. This year if he has all the time in the world he can make his shot as hard, but thats rare and hes not going to be effective if he needs a ton a time as teams will take time away from him to wind up. Maybe thats more rist related then anything but that does worry me

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lol people getting excited over yet another fluky win. Time to get the playoff push thread started. Team got another fluky goal in the beginning and some lucky goaltending. They're not gonna win lots of games getting outshot by 10.

Missed most of the third, but they were the better team the first two periods and in OT. I find it hard to think Boston played so well in that time it was an undeserved victory. I don't think anyone's getting excited about them doing well, I think people are happy they look more competitive/watchable than the last couple years. The losses will come, but they're not fluking like they that year where they only had a lead for something like 5 minutes but had 3 wins

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Should I surprised because Marchand wasn't a jerk last night?
He had a very uneventful game. Looked sloppy, we stick checked him quite easily. He didnt look like a guy who is playing on the top line in the league at all. Pasta Neck looked good, Bergeron was ok, but when Marchand has an off game that line has an off game. I think hes their driver

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Fun team to watch! They seem a lot faster and harder to play against than last season (probably due to No Sedins, Vanek & Gagner). The role players are really stepping up and seems like everyone is buying in and playing hard. Boeser seems to be finding his stride! Both goalies are playing decent, not sure if it holds up. Some unlikely players deserve some credit...

M. Granlund +4 - Guy is like a Swiss Army knife, can play either wing, and has filled in decently at Center. Great job penalty killing, good puck retriever on the forecheck.

L. Eriksson +2 - Our best defensive winger, reliable in all 3 zones. Stabilizes any line he’s on. 6M is a joke for this guy as he’s offensively invisible, but contract aside he’s a very dependable middle 6 winger.

D. Pouliot +3 - has impressed me, he and Stecher have looked solid together, should be given a look on the first pp unit.

Roussel - Sutter - Eriksson: Did a great job against one of the best lines in hockey.
Great post.
Just wanted to echo your comments on Eriksson especially. He’s still grossly overpaid but he’s contributing this year defensively. That line shut down probably the best line in the NHL. Of course Pasta had some good chances but keeping them off the score sheet doesn’t happen often.
Sutter has been playing well for quite a while imo. It’s a shame Benning made those ‘foundational player’ comments as I think this ( plus the contract) really turned people against Sutter. Hopefully he can stay healthy this year.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
good game for horvat, but i think horvat played better than this last year before his injury. he was pushing play consistently then. he is starting to do the same now. the improvement this year is he is doing it with less individual effort and heroics. he is maturing into a better player. the fact he can fight like that but doesn't is interesting. we have not had a captain who could fight since smyl. all he needs to do to become captain is do that same thing the next time someone dummies a canuck.

boeser was also pushing play at times last night, which would be huge if it develops further. i think of him as a finisher/sniper but this year he is much more involved in plays developing and starting to look like a more complete player. i wish i could understand his skating issues though because it seems to vary shift to shift.

goldobin is looking like a decent complimentary piece for now. i still don't quite get his game, but that maybe the point. he without doubt has brief moments where he is controlling play. i have thought of this guy as an occasional flashy individual effort scorer, but he is making a case as more than that.

baertschi is struggling a bit to find a home and a fit, but is still a useful skilled offensive forward.

sutter has never been better for us.

eriksson seems to have gone to whatever place higgins went at the end of his career where he does his job as a third liner but cannot or will not get to the places where he can score with his remaining skills. he is, for now, a very solid defensive winger.

granlund is a swiss army knife for sure, but the smaller model with limited blade selection.

gaudette really needs to go back to the ahl and work on his game. hopefully this is a short call up that gets him motivated and focussed on what he needs to do.

i thought schaller, motte, virtanen and roussel ground it out nicely.

edler and tanev are playing like a top match up pair but their game is not sustainable without another pair to eat hard minutes. they can do it for now but they have to work too hard and take too much punishment.

stecher has taken enough of a step that he is now carrying pouliot. this is huge for pouliot if it causes him to push himself in the dzone. for now, these guys together are not going to be your choice for a key defensive face off but i can see potential.

hutton and gudbranson looked like replacement dmen last night. just hanging on but out of their depth playing at the level the game was played. a lot of the time time they were on the ice the canucks system fell apart and it was just a scramble. that being said, at least they are physical and fully engaged.

markstrom looked very good and also hungry. a glove save with a flourish is something i don't expect from him.

this team has been able to find ways to win, but it's not sustainable. they need another pairing to step out and take the heat off tanev and edler and they need ep back to have two credible lines. they also cannot sustain their game if tanev, edler or horvat get hurt.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Missed most of the third, but they were the better team the first two periods and in OT. I find it hard to think Boston played so well in that time it was an undeserved victory. I don't think anyone's getting excited about them doing well, I think people are happy they look more competitive/watchable than the last couple years. The losses will come, but they're not fluking like they that year where they only had a lead for something like 5 minutes but had 3 wins
Bostons dominance in the 3rd actually did overshadow Vancouver outchancing them the first 2 periods. Not to make the win undesevered, but it certainly made Markstroms 1st star of game award very deserved.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Should I surprised because Marchand wasn't a jerk last night?

I think Marchand is more worried about winning art rosses these days than starting beef with basement teams. lol but seriously, the guy has like the highest ppg out of wingers the past two seasons.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bostons dominance in the 3rd actually did overshadow Vancouver outchancing them the first 2 periods. Not to make the win undesevered, but it certainly made Markstroms 1st star of game award very deserved.
Canucks schedule has been brutal..you generally get that one extra rest day when you're coming back from an extended road trip...Last nights game was an extension of the road trip..(and it doesn't get easier with the Caps in tomorrow)...I'd say they were getting a bit gassed by the end of the game.

Good to see Markstrom bounce back...I'm sure that Nillssons performance pushed Marky a little bit..Internal competition is a good thing.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
good game for horvat, but i think horvat played better than this last year before his injury. he was pushing play consistently then. he is starting to do the same now. the improvement this year is he is doing it with less individual effort and heroics. he is maturing into a better player. the fact he can fight like that but doesn't is interesting. we have not had a captain who could fight since smyl. all he needs to do to become captain is do that same thing the next time someone dummies a canuck.

boeser was also pushing play at times last night, which would be huge if it develops further. i think of him as a finisher/sniper but this year he is much more involved in plays developing and starting to look like a more complete player. i wish i could understand his skating issues though because it seems to vary shift to shift.

goldobin is looking like a decent complimentary piece for now. i still don't quite get his game, but that maybe the point. he without doubt has brief moments where he is controlling play. i have thought of this guy as an occasional flashy individual effort scorer, but he is making a case as more than that.

baertschi is struggling a bit to find a home and a fit, but is still a useful skilled offensive forward.

sutter has never been better for us.

eriksson seems to have gone to whatever place higgins went at the end of his career where he does his job as a third liner but cannot or will not get to the places where he can score with his remaining skills. he is, for now, a very solid defensive winger.

granlund is a swiss army knife for sure, but the smaller model with limited blade selection.

gaudette really needs to go back to the ahl and work on his game. hopefully this is a short call up that gets him motivated and focussed on what he needs to do.

i thought schaller, motte, virtanen and roussel ground it out nicely.

edler and tanev are playing like a top match up pair but their game is not sustainable without another pair to eat hard minutes. they can do it for now but they have to work too hard and take too much punishment.

stecher has taken enough of a step that he is now carrying pouliot. this is huge for pouliot if it causes him to push himself in the dzone. for now, these guys together are not going to be your choice for a key defensive face off but i can see potential.

hutton and gudbranson looked like replacement dmen last night. just hanging on but out of their depth playing at the level the game was played. a lot of the time time they were on the ice the canucks system fell apart and it was just a scramble. that being said, at least they are physical and fully engaged.

markstrom looked very good and also hungry. a glove save with a flourish is something i don't expect from him.

this team has been able to find ways to win, but it's not sustainable. they need another pairing to step out and take the heat off tanev and edler and they need ep back to have two credible lines. they also cannot sustain their game if tanev, edler or horvat get hurt.

Gold onion is first and foremost a playmaker but he can also finish off a play at a high level

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
That was fun. Another great, hard working win over a superior team. When was the last time you saw a Canucks team rise up physically against the Bruins like last night? Hits were 26 to 11 for the home team and that's very impressive coming off a 6 game trip. To me Goldobin was consistently the most dangerous player on offense. Boeser could have had a hatrick with all the setups Goldobin dished out but he more than made up for it in overtime. The defense looks terrible to the eye but they seem to hack and whack their way through things and mostly get away with it. Don't see that being sustainable and Gudbranson, holy cow, had a night that really should have cost them the game, he was that bad. Strong rebound for Markstrom, this platooning could be a thing.

Overall, I'll take it!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What a brutal schedule. A six-game road-trip that takes you from Florida to Winnipeg, then fly home and play the Bruins two days later with the Stanley Cup champs waiting for a game Monday. Then back out on the road for back-to-backs. The miracle to me isn't the 5-3 record, it's the fact that so far the only injuries are to Beagle and Pettersson.

This is normally the kind of schedule where the d-men are dropping like flies. Edler and Tanev currently atop the NHL leaderboard in blocked shots. Unfortunately if they can't find a way to spend a lot less time in their own zone, it's only a matter of time until they're felled. But enjoy the ride while you can I guess.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Baertschi doesn’t seem to fit in the top 6, he had his best game playing with Sutter & Virtanen when he scored 2 goals. Greener has tried Roussel, Motte, Leipsic & Goldobin on the top line. Bo & Brock looked good with Goldy last night but I expect him to play with EP when he gets back. Who will be the top line Left winger as it’s a revolving door right now?

Looks like he got dinged up last night, but I’d like to see Reid Boucher get a proper chance. He’s been killing it in the A, and if he ever gets it going with the big team, be could be like Boeser Light.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
So you think this team is mid-level or better save for injuries? That this has been the aspect holding this team back for the last 3 years?
Didn't say that, did I? Of course every team will have injuries and Canucks' lack of depth is what is holding them back.

You have to admit that they start every season well and then when the injuries hit down the standings they go.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Didn't say that, did I? Of course every team will have injuries and Canucks' lack of depth is what is holding them back.

You have to admit that they start every season well and then when the injuries hit down the standings they go.

Your counter implied that injuries were the cause of the disparity. That's the reason for my follow up questions: To clarify that implication.

A lack of depth is another way of saying the team is poorly constructed.

I read somewhere that the Canucks have lost more man-games over the last three years than any other team.

Please link to the source.

It's one thing to say that they have suffered the most injuries over a given span, and quite another to say that this is the main reason for their record over that span.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad