Post-Game Talk: GAME 78 - BRUINS sweep the kitties back to the Everglades - BRUINS 3 Sunrise 2 F/OT

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Gryz and McAvoy outscore their opponents 2 to 1 when they are a pair 5v5. I think dropping him hurts McAvoy and also whomever he gets paired with as he needs to be on the ice with better players IMO.
For clarity, Lindholm and McAvoy *also* outscore their opponents 2 to 1 when they are a pair 5v5.

If you break down the goals for and allowed per 60:
Lindholm/McAvoy
GF/60 = 3.86
GA/60 = 1.93
Goal Differential/60 = +1.93

Grzelcyk/McAvoy
GF/60 = 2.70
GA/60 = 1.35
Goal Differential/60 = +1.35

If they want to stick with the 27-73 pair, AND they want 48 in the lineup, I think Grzelcyk is fine on the third pairing with either Peeke or Shattenkirk. I do not think he's a good fit for a pairing with Wotherspoon... and this season, when paired with Carlo, they haven't looked great.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
First two periods were awesome, I felt like the slightly weird calls/non-calls shifted the momentum in the third. I understand if every line has one iffy shift after things like that, but multiple shifts is a problem. Great to get the two points, but I think we are seeing some of the cracks that lead to blown leads late in games.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
For clarity, Lindholm and McAvoy *also* outscore their opponents 2 to 1 when they are a pair 5v5.

If you break down the goals for and allowed per 60:
Lindholm/McAvoy
GF/60 = 3.86
GA/60 = 1.93
Goal Differential/60 = +1.93

Grzelcyk/McAvoy
GF/60 = 2.70
GA/60 = 1.35
Goal Differential/60 = +1.35

If they want to stick with the 27-73 pair, AND they want 48 in the lineup, I think Grzelcyk is fine on the third pairing with either Peeke or Shattenkirk. I do not think he's a good fit for a pairing with Wotherspoon... and this season, when paired with Carlo, they haven't looked great.

Plus/Minus for Bruins defensemen:

Carlo +21
Lindholm +17
Grzelcyk +12
McAvoy +9
Wotherspoon +7
Peeke +3
Shattenkirk -1
Lohrei -2

Reactions: Spjutmuren

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
He is very hard to like and so...so easy to hate. Its sad that teams and officiating let that turd of a person get away with so much shit. I never thought I would despise a player more than Matt....Cooke....:mad:
And the announcers were,drooling over him on ABC which makes it worse ,I don’t mind players that play on the edge,but you better be ready to back it up.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Tkachuk willingly took the bait from Emily Kaplan in his interview between periods, tossing some jabs at Boston, bringing up last year's playoffs. If these two meet in the second round, whoever emerges will be the walking wounded.

In recent years, the Panthers have won the President's Trophy only to get swept by an arch rival; and backed into the playoffs by default and made it to the Final. I do think in recent weeks they have taken their foot off the gas slightly; but will be full-throttle April 20.

Paul Maurice gives surprisingly insightful comments when interviewed during games.

Ray Ferraro had multiple nice things to say about Wotherspoon. Like linemen in football, he does a lot of productive things that don't show up on the scoresheet. And it's usually safe, smart plays.

The Garden was ready for the delays to fix the glass, with Total Eclipse of the Heart cued and ready to go.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
loved the game but I`m done with JVR. The same things I was anticipating from Brazz based on comments here about his skating but didn`t come true you can say about JVR, he simply can`t keep up to games with pace

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
Should be noted that the Bruins scored 11 power play goals in the 7-game series against Florida last year. Playoffs start with a clean slate. That said, wonder if Monty would consider trying Shattenkirk on RW 4th line. Gives the B's an extra D if needed and he can play the point on the PP where he is excellent.

Sean McDonough's been around a long time, he knows how NHL hockey in officiated. Its always been game managed by the refs. Except for Wally Harris, who didn't really think it was part of his job to call penalties unless someone was maimed.
''basically admitted that the refs practice game management with their comment in the 1st that "you had to think Florida would get the next power play".''
And the online ref, Jackson, said that in order to stop the scrums, the ref will give one team and not the other a penalty, regardless of if both teams deserve a penalty or not. I wonder how the ref determines who gets the penalty? Certainly not by the team that causes the scrumming?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Should be noted that the Bruins scored 11 power play goals in the 7-game series against Florida last year. Playoffs start with a clean slate. That said, wonder if Monty would consider trying Shattenkirk on RW 4th line. Gives the B's an extra D if needed and he can play the point on the PP where he is excellent.

Sean McDonough's been around a long time, he knows how NHL hockey in officiated. Its always been game managed by the refs. Except for Wally Harris, who didn't really think it was part of his job to call penalties unless someone was maimed.

That's true. Sometimes one little change is enough to completely reverse the fortunes and strike rate of a PP. As you say, the Bruins did turn it around last year, perhaps they can do something similar again. Would very much like to see Shattenkirk over McAvoy on the first unit, but Monty seems very committed to having Charlie on the point, and Shatty playing as a forward is not happening.

And yeah, McDonough knows it, we all know it. It's just not common to hear it stated explicitly. It is what it is. Of all the sports I've come across, none is officiated more weirdly than hockey.

Last edited:

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
''basically admitted that the refs practice game management with their comment in the 1st that "you had to think Florida would get the next power play".''
And the online ref, Jackson, said that in order to stop the scrums, the ref will give one team and not the other a penalty, regardless of if both teams deserve a penalty or not. I wonder how the ref determines who gets the penalty? Certainly not by the team that causes the scrumming?
Jackson was a crooked ref, so nothing he says surprises me. Loved his hometown Habs. Totally screwed da Broons in Game 7 in 2014. Even Pierre McGuire commented on the officiating in that game.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

It feels like almost lucky dip, pick a team/player at random.

Jackson is useless and adds nothing to the broadcast - he simply agrees with every single decision the on-ice refs make. Although I suppose he does offer a little window into the sometimes twisted logic and pack mentality of the officials. That's sort of interesting, if often frustrating.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
how wotherspoon was the only penalty in that scrum was rediculous.
so glad fla didnt score on that PP.
then fla tues it 2-2 because wotherspoon gets hooked by barkov in tge neutral zone.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Dufus comments from a dumbass who follows the company line/agenda. He always screwed them over whenever he had a chance so f*** him. You want to stop scrums and cheap shit, identify who's constantly starting and engaging in it and penalize him. Their way isn't just arbitrary it rewards douchebag behavior.

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
Dufus comments from a dumbass who follows the company line/agenda. He always screwed them over whenever he had a chance so f*** him. You want to stop scrums and cheap shit, identify who's constantly starting and engaging in it and penalize him. Their way isn't just arbitrary it rewards douchebag behavior.
Perfectly said.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That's true. Sometimes one little change is enough to completely reverse the fortunes and strike rate of a PP. As you say, the Bruins did turn it around last year, perhaps they can do something similar again. Would very much like to see Shattenkirk over McAvoy on the first unit, but Monty seems very committed to having Charlie on the point, and Shatty playing as a forward is not happening.

And yeah, McDonough knows it, we all know it. It's just not common to hear it stated explicitly. It is what it is. Of all the sports I've come across, none is officiated more weirdly than hockey.

It's not like other sports in many ways.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
As for who gets the call, I think it's a simple case of seniority. Wotherspoon (who I love), started the season in the AHL. Barkov is a Selke winner. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

And let's not be too quick to exonerate other sports. Michael Jordan got countless favorable calls, as has nearly every NBA superstar. And in baseball stars always had a different strike zone.

This will be an unpopular take, but I don't put Matthew Tkachuk in the same league as Matt Cooke, who deliberately ended careers. Tkachuk plays on the edge, and gets under everyone's skin. But in addition to being Mr. Clutch, I don't fear for the safety of Bs players as I did when they faced Cooke.

I'm actually a Tkachuk fan. When I saw him in that haircut commercial with his patented s**t-eating grin, I chuckled.
maxresdefault.jpg

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
This is something that drives me absolutely insane with the officiating. How they can basically advocate for fixed calls. How bout you just CALL THE PENALTIES as they come. Could you imagine in the NFL if the officials said, "well we're only going to start calling roughing the passer on one team, it's open season on the other QB, but it's going to be totally random. That should stop the roughing of the QBs"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad