Post-Game Talk: GAME 78 - BRUINS sweep the kitties back to the Everglades - BRUINS 3 Sunrise 2 F/OT

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Just a note: during the recent road trip, and including tonight's game, which may be the best game they've played all year in my view, the Bruins are playing their best hockey of the season.

That means a lot of things, but what I've seen lately is much better, tighter defense in their own and. To me that is the most important improvement. And not a minute too soon.

Also extremely important, which should be no surprise: if they are not initiating - yet - at least the Bruins are responding physically. They will go nowhere in the playoffs without that kind of pushback. It was very heartening to see this game, much more than the previous game against Florida, which some dubbed their best effort of the year.

My wish is that day become the hammer, rather than the nail. Reactionary hockey is losing hockey. Whether you are chasing the puck, or failing to respond to physical intimidation. I have some hope at this point that Montgomery and the team understand how important that push back is going to be going forward. And how important physicality and intimidation are, period.

The addition of maroon can only help in this regard. He's also a very loose guy in the room. And he has three Stanley cups to his credit. Those are all good things. So we'll see.

I am not expecting a Stanley cup, but I feel better, much better with the additions of Wotherspoon, Peeke, and Brazeau, as well as improved, more consistent play from the entire roster.

Positive developments. Speech to text,

✔️✌️😌

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Just a note: during the recent road trip, and including tonight's game, which may be the best game they've played all year in my view, the Bruins are playing their best hockey of the season.

That means a lot of things, but what I've seen lately is much better, tighter defense in their own and. To me that is the most important improvement. And not a minute too soon.

Also extremely important, which should be no surprise: if they are not initiating - yet - at least the Bruins are responding physically. They will go nowhere in the playoffs without that kind of pushback. It was very heartening to see this game, much more than the previous game against Florida, which some dubbed their best effort of the year.

My wish is that day become the hammer, rather than the nail. Reactionary hockey is losing hockey. Whether you are chasing the puck, or failing to respond to physical intimidation. I have some hope at this point that Montgomery and the team understand how important that push back is going to be going forward. And how important physicality and intimidation are, period.

The addition of maroon can only help in this regard. He's also a very loose guy in the room. And he has three Stanley cups to his credit. Those are all good things. So we'll see.

I am not expecting a Stanley cup, but I feel better, much better with the additions of Wotherspoon, Peeke, and Brazeau, as well as improved, more consistent play from the entire roster.

✔️✌️😌
Just finished watching the game. Very enjoyable. Great outcome, and no shortage of guys to hate on that team. I love the physicality. Bruins definitely held their own in that department. We have swept Florida this season. Would be nice to do it in the playoffs.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

✔️✌️😌
They’re not close to playing their best hockey of the season. They stood up to the Panthers shitty rat stuff. But this is nowhere near their best hockey.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Randoms:

- much as certain elements of the rivalry between the Bruins and Panthers have been frustrating for obvious reasons, it must be said they play entertaining games. The hate is strong and Boston have had the better of it APART from that one time it mattered most, alas. This was again a very good contest between two serious teams.

- thank goodness Coyle scored a PP goal, but it doesn't change much just how bad the Bruins have been on the man advantage for far too long. I said the same thing this time last year: if Boston's PP is no threat then playoff opponents will have no problem taking liberties and pushing the boundaries against them because the risks involved in doing so are so low. I don't know what can be done to improve it at this late stage of the year, but hopefully they find something in the next week or so. Charlie's tally here is at least a start.

- Lindholm turned the puck over in his own zone twice in the space on one shift in the 1st. He's been improving as the season's progressed, has been playing very well with McAvoy for the most part, soaks up a lot of big mins for Monty. So for the most part he's fine, but silly little patches like that one are what he still needs to eliminate from his game.

- great to see JvR stick up for Pasta. Strikes me he knows he's on the fringe for the playoff starting roster, and is doing what he can to make an impression. Nothing wrong with that. Indeed the whole team was not shy in stepping up to the Panthers and their nonsense tonight. Much as we like to complain a lot in here about 'toughness', this team is not as soft as it was 2-3 months ago and is trending in the right direction at the right time. Good to see.

- the officiating as usual left quite a lot to be desired. The league seems to love doing what it can to hurt its own product. Why is anyone's guess. BTW, the ESPN commentators basically admitted that the refs practice game management with their comment in the 1st that "you had to think Florida would get the next power play".

- Pasta was super engaged tonight. Just the one assist, but he made numerous strong plays. He has a solid playoff record but has never completely taken over any particular series. Pretty sure he has it in him though. Perhaps this is the year.

- Very pleasing and important that the Bruins' D has really improved in the last week. Still work to do, but it's tightened up and the structure has been better of late. Peeke has been part of that, Wotherspoon is solid, guys are just getting over the boards and playing their role. The 3rd period was poor, with the Panthers really taking over the game and putting the Bs right back on their heels, but Ullmark showed his usual greatness and they managed to tough it out. Before that though just 2 high danger chances were conceded 5v5 through the first 40. More of that will be vital once the serious stuff begins.

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Good physical playoff style game. That's about as close as it gets in the regular season. Not happy to see them give up the lead in the 3rd period again... but otherwise checked all the boxes.

Again, hate to say it, but I don't think Grzelcyk is suited for this. The playoffs. Him deferring to Carlo 4v4 in the 2nd period says it all for me. Terrified to make a decision. This is the one area you are supposed to excel at! Confidence with the puck is at an all-time low for him. And he can't find any separation with his skating either. Everyone else was physically engaged. Even robots like Carlo and Hienen. Add JVR getting in there sticking up for Pastrnak.

On the other hand, Peeke and Wotherspoon have been exactly what the doctor ordered. Wotherspoon was a thorn and put a target on his own back. Not afraid going hard at the big stars on the other side. More of that please.

Another big body like Maroon or Brazeau would have been valuable in a game like this.

Boqvist deserved that. He's been playing great hockey in the new year. Doesn't have a lot to show for it, but he has skill.... and he battles. Underrated bottom-6 F.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Good physical playoff style game. That's about as close as it gets in the regular season. Not happy to see them give up the lead in the 3rd period again... but otherwise checked all the boxes.

Again, hate to say it, but I don't think Grzelcyk is suited for this. The playoffs. Him deferring to Carlo 4v4 in the 2nd period says it all for me. Terrified to make a decision. This is the one area you are supposed to excel at! Confidence with the puck is at an all-time low for him. And he can't find any separation with his skating either. Everyone else was physically engaged. Even robots like Carlo and Hienen. Add JVR getting in there sticking up for Pastrnak.

On the other hand, Peeke and Wotherspoon have been exactly what the doctor ordered. Wotherspoon was a thorn and put a target on his own back. Not afraid going hard at the big stars on the other side. More of that please.

Another big body like Maroon or Brazeau would have been valuable in a game like this.

Boqvist deserved that. He's been playing great hockey in the new year. Doesn't have a lot to show for it, but he has skill.... and he battles. Underrated bottom-6 F.
Gryz and McAvoy outscore their opponents 2 to 1 when they are a pair 5v5. I think dropping him hurts McAvoy and also whomever he gets paired with as he needs to be on the ice with better players IMO.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1712487262934.png

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Pretty sure I’m not allowed to watch hockey on the big tv anymore bc when I yell it echoes. Oops
Alicat you should be like me and turn the volume down when the Bruins are screwing up so I can hear my phone ring. Sent Bruins my phone number in case they need some coaching advice.🤪 If they did call me you would know the end was near.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BMC and Alicat

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Monty deserves a lot of credit for getting the team as far as he has this season. It's really incredible and unthought of for most hockey prognosticators. I never thought they would be where they are at this point in the season. They say you can't get water out of a rock. Monty has got a bucket full from these guys. Credit to the players that bought in they made it happen on the ice.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Panthers really controlled the 3rd. . . the Bruins seemed to run out of steam. Pasta took some really big hits, would not be surprised to see some maintenance games upcoming. We really need JDB to get going.

As many have said, if PP doesn't get going, liberties will be taken.

Stay healthy and it looks like Panthers and Leafs will play to the bitter end to determine home ice. Tampa can sit back and rest.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Randoms:

- much as certain elements of the rivalry between the Bruins and Panthers have been frustrating for obvious reasons, it must be said they play entertaining games. The hate is strong and Boston have had the better of it APART from that one time it mattered most, alas. This was again a very good contest between two serious teams.

- thank goodness Coyle scored a PP goal, but it doesn't change much just how bad the Bruins have been on the man advantage for far too long. I said the same thing this time last year: if Boston's PP is no threat then playoff opponents will have no problem taking liberties and pushing the boundaries against them because the risks involved in doing so are so low. I don't know what can be done to improve it at this late stage of the year, but hopefully they find something in the next week or so. Charlie's tally here is at least a start.

- Lindholm turned the puck over in his own zone twice in the space on one shift in the 1st. He's been improving as the season's progressed, has been playing very well with McAvoy for the most part, soaks up a lot of big mins for Monty. So for the most part he's fine, but silly little patches like that one are what he still needs to eliminate from his game.

- great to see JvR stick up for Pasta. Strikes me he knows he's on the fringe for the playoff starting roster, and is doing what he can to make an impression. Nothing wrong with that. Indeed the whole team was not shy in stepping up to the Panthers and their nonsense tonight. Much as we like to complain a lot in here about 'toughness', this team is not as soft as it was 2-3 months ago and is trending in the right direction at the right time. Good to see.

- the officiating as usual left quite a lot to be desired. The league seems to love doing what it can to hurt its own product. Why is anyone's guess. BTW, the ESPN commentators basically admitted that the refs practice game management with their comment in the 1st that "you had to think Florida would get the next power play".

- Pasta was super engaged tonight. Just the one assist, but he made numerous strong plays. He has a solid playoff record but has never completely taken over any particular series. Pretty sure he has it in him though. Perhaps this is the year.

- Very pleasing and important that the Bruins' D has really improved in the last week. Still work to do, but it's tightened up and the structure has been better of late. Peeke has been part of that, Wotherspoon is solid, guys are just getting over the boards and playing their role. The 3rd period was poor, with the Panthers really taking over the game and putting the Bs right back on their heels, but Ullmark showed his usual greatness and they managed to tough it out. Before that though just 2 high danger chances were conceded 5v5 through the first 40. More of that will be vital once the serious stuff begins.

Should be noted that the Bruins scored 11 power play goals in the 7-game series against Florida last year. Playoffs start with a clean slate. That said, wonder if Monty would consider trying Shattenkirk on RW 4th line. Gives the B's an extra D if needed and he can play the point on the PP where he is excellent.

Sean McDonough's been around a long time, he knows how NHL hockey in officiated. Its always been game managed by the refs. Except for Wally Harris, who didn't really think it was part of his job to call penalties unless someone was maimed.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Should be noted that the Bruins scored 11 power play goals in the 7-game series against Florida last year. Playoffs start with a clean slate. That said, wonder if Monty would consider trying Shattenkirk on RW 4th line. Gives the B's an extra D if needed and he can play the point on the PP where he is excellent.

Sean McDonough's been around a long time, he knows how NHL hockey in officiated. Its always been game managed by the refs. Except for Wally Harris, who didn't really think it was part of his job to call penalties unless someone was maimed.
I feel comfortable saying that Monty would never consider Shattenkirk as a RW.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Celebrating the big win by getting a new home McAvoy jersey. My winter classic one is in a garment bag and shrink wrapped in my POD and I just can't get to it safely so my mom bought me a new one.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

✔️✌️😌
i thought both teams played pretty bad yesterday actually

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Do you think NESN will ever catch up to the picture quality of ABC/ESPN?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad