Post-Game Talk: Game 74: Canucks def. Sens - 7-4 (Horvat x2, Pearson x2, Boeser, Virtanen, Eriksson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Playoff offs shooting up to 1.3%
Its still pretty low, and next games against Calgary and Columbus who have very MEANINFUL games so can see BOTH those games been blowouts against us

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Hilarious the posters(you know who you are) that make fun of the ones that are happy the Canucks aren't eliminated yet. They actually watch the games hoping they lose while dissing any one that would like to see them in the wildcard spot. 4 points out means two wins.Ari,Chi,Col and Min all suck and are barley capable of playing 500 hockey. Yet they use the mathematical genius Jeff Paterson's deducing to write the season off. How moronic is that to hope for a tank while crying about every lose or win.

Reactions: Nomobo

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Hilarious the posters(you know who you are) that make fun of the ones that are happy the Canucks aren't eliminated yet. They actually watch the games hoping they lose while dissing any one that would like to see them in the wildcard spot. 4 points out means two wins.Ari,Chi,Col and Min all suck and are barley capable of playing 500 hockey. Yet they use the mathematical genius Jeff Paterson's deducing to write the season off. How moronic is that to hope for a tank while crying about every lose or win.

the teams barely capable of playing 500 hockey yet all still ahead of us in the standings

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
the teams barely capely of playing 500 hockey yet all still ahead of us in the standings
Enjoy the games, either they make or they don't. If you think the tanks a good philosophy just look at the Oilers. They tried to tank for 10 years in a row and caused the stupid draft lottery.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

CHI vs ARI
COL vs ARI
MIN vs ARI
CHI vs COL
CHI vs COL

Someone's going to win those games.

Barely capable of playing 500? The Canucks are 32-32-10 on the backs of a Vezina season from Markstrom and Calder season from Pettersson.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This is like my number 1 pet peeve this time of year, where even smart media members don't understand that the important part isn't how many PTS you are behind the last playoff team, but how many teams are ahead of you. The Canucks would need to outplay, significantly, all 4 of ARI, CHI, COL, MIN. It's not going to happen.

The other thing that gets overlooked in OMG PLAYOFFS HOPES is just how rotten the WC is year is. (I didn't check the eastern conference)

Here are the most recent Western Conference wild card cutoffs: 95 94 87 99 91
Before that the #8 cutoff: 94 95 97 95 95 91

To put this year into context only one WC team has ever made the playoffs in the salary cap era with less than 91 points. This year's canucks can only reach 90 points even if they win every game from here.

Arizona is on track for about 87 points, they will probably need to finish around 84 for us to catch and pass them (assuming we go 5-2-1). Montreal is 9 points ahead of us with a game in hand and outside EC wild card spots.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Goofy game. Times when the Canucks looked as good as they have all year and then times when they looked just about as bad as they've looked this season. One observation was that the Canucks were very good for sustained periods of getting the puck out of their zone quickly and getting a lot of o-zone time. Dominated at times in this area. Lot less over handling of the puck defensively. Not having Pouliot out there helps here.

Good

Horvat - making a surge after being quiet for quite a while. Showed he knows how to deflect a puck as well as take faceoffs.

Pearson - had some jump right from the beginning of the game. Best he has played since arriving here. Hopefully can form a good partner for Horvat moving ahead

Biega - another very good effort. Producing a surprising amount of offense. Like how he gets the puck so quickly out of his zone. Also I thought he forced Edler into playing the puck more quickly.

Edler - as the previous comments suggest, I see times when Edler tries to slow the play (as do many d-men who get big minutes). Team is better when they can go with a 6 man defenseman unit who keep the tempo up but the Canucks don't have enough quality for that. Thought Edler got into a more of a rhythm as the game went on and his shot from the point was critical in the win.

Not Good

Markstrom - lost focus badly in the third. Bound to have let downs after his work load.

Schaller - worked hard but his skill level is so low.

Others

Virtanen - much better effort. Took his goal very well

Granlund - having a much better run of late. Effective player throughout much of the game.

Pettersson - quiet 2 points. Shooting prowess has dropped off

Sautner - definitely has NHL wheels. Has come a long ways from the overwhelmed player he was on the Comets a couple of years ago. If he hadn't been hurt probably would have moved ahead of Poo earlier this year. Ceiling is low but he looks like a future good depth piece.

Brisebois - keeping his head above water. Had a couple of shaky shifts in the second period where he poorly angled passes off the boards but mostly moved the puck decently out of his end. One thing to like was the way he sorted out the play in his zone and kept the play in front of him.

Gaudette - continues to struggle.

Eriksson - how he gets second star over Edler is mind boggling. Just dumb. Played ok and his finish to the season is better than most of what else he has done this year. But most of his points in this game were result of other people's work.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Make the playoffs or don’t make the playoffs, it’s a win win situation for the Canucks, enjoy the games folks.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
You'll have to pry the playoffs from my cold dead hands. They're only 4 points out with a 7 game home stand. I'm not saying the odds are good but it would be Oiler stupid to try to tank now.

We may catch Arizona but that's not to say that Chicago, Colorado, or most likely Minnesota don't get hot and take the opportunity right out of our hands.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
CHI vs ARI
COL vs ARI
MIN vs ARI
CHI vs COL
CHI vs COL

Someone's going to win those games.

Barely capable of playing 500? The Canucks are 32-32-10 on the backs of a Vezina season from Markstrom and Calder season from Pettersson.
All team succeed, fail, or perform indifferently based on the contributions of the players that constitute them. Arguments that proceed from an imagined absence of some of those players are meaningless. A more intelligent argument would proceed from the fact that their record simply isn't very good. You were almost there.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Goldobin is never getting back in the lineup now, is he?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Horvat = Linden
Pettersson = Bure
Edler = Lumme
Markstom = Mclean
2019 = 1994

Canucks to squeek into the playoffs. Beat CGY in game 7 OT. They will go to the SCF to face Boston where Marchand will cheapshot Horvat cracking his ribs. Canucks will lose in game 7 OT. Marchand will sign with Vancouver as a FA where he will just mail it in...

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Getting worried that horvat passes pettersson for internal points. Will look bad for calder chances if that happens.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Getting worried that horvat passes pettersson for internal points. Will look bad for calder chances if that happens.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad