GDT: Game 73: Avs@Oilers| Sunday, 20 Mar, 19:30 MT | Monday, 21 Mar 08:30 BKK | Rantanen!!

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
well, its the best team post super Joe as player era I have seen, much more team work oriented imo, sad to say but losing MacK in short term probably will help... why you ask?
He is still so one dimensional in his team play... most skill I have ever seen so hopefully he comes back healthy for a few b4 we fisnish the year.. post or no.

Dutchii being gone hurts, but I am stoked to see Rants in the line up ...

this could go high or low, is picks super mini varlamazing and rolls a one goal almost ? or do we see 8-4 pond match?

I am think 8 - 1 avs would be best but as long as we win...
go hawks and go Avs...
ha

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I have to say though, its impressive that amount of depth this team has this year compared to even just last year.

If we lost Mack and Duchene last year, we would basically be done. We'd have next to nothing left on the roster in terms of forwards. Landy and ROR that's pretty much it.

To be fair, last year, Iggy and Tangs were still decent top 6 wingers. After that, they were hosed, though.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Have we figured out if Rantanen will be on the wing or at center yet?

That would require someone?....doing something?, I forget what it is called, where they follow the team asking questions and observing things like morning skates... and then tell others about it via print or other media.

Oh yeah, beat reporters covering and reporting on the team. We don't have that.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
That would require someone?....doing something?, I forget what it is called, where they follow the team asking questions and observing things like morning skates... and then tell others about it via print or other media.

Oh yeah, beat reporters covering and reporting on the team. We don't have that.

ever feel like you live in po poo city no wheresville?

no reporting got electricty last week, saw my first car then too? lol
Denver is not that just for us hockey fans it seems so....

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
To be fair, last year, Iggy and Tangs were still decent top 6 wingers. After that, they were hosed, though.

True they were better.

But even still, what did our Bottom 6 look like last year? I honestly cant even remember at this point.

Cliche was still the #4C though, Mitchell the #3C. We didn't have Comeau or Soderberg for our Bottom 6. McGinn would've been but he was hurt. We had Briere on that team. Jordan Caron was in that bottom 6, and Freddie Hamilton seen time in it as well. Hishon also played the final 13 games of the season I think.

So, if I'm not mistaken our bottom 6 last year at about this time of the year would have been something like:

McCleod - Mitchell - Hishon
Briere - Cliche - Caron

With Hamilton as the 13th forward. Some combination of those players was the bottom 6 we were icing for our playoff push at this time of last year.

Flash forward to this year, and our bottom 6 tonight(Without our #1 or #2C) is looking like:

Matthias - Comeau(Or Rantanen) - Martinsen
McCleod - Mitchell - Skille

That bottom 6 is so much better then the Bottom 6 we were using last year at this time. And if we had Top 2 Centers in the lineup it would be even better.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Well, I'm going to have to join all of the negative Nancy's around here and say I will be pleasantly surprised if we win this game. I kind of had this pencilled in as a loss since I saw it on the schedule. Edmonton is playing well, we're missing two dudes. Yada yada.

On the other hand we had a great last period against Calgary, hope we can build on that.

Let's go Avs!

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm thinking we're gonna see a whole lot of 1-3-1 from the Avs tonight without Duchene and MacKinnon.

Soda's probably ending up with 20 minutes easily.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I guess we won't hear anything about lineups until the game actually starts.

Really looking forward to going to this one. It's a big game for us and the return of Landeskog and Rantanen.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
well.. I do not think its a big let down game, for me its a lets step up game.
Last game there was no jump buzz or hitting I expect all three tonight.

As for winning, we outclass them all the way around, goalie to top line...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I tried asking Ryan Boulding about the lines, hes reported them before from Avs twitter on occasion.

He was with Soderberg before right?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He was with Soderberg before right?

IIRC, it was Soderberg and Matthias.

So that could be one line. Roy might also keep Grigorenko-Mitchell-Iginla together because he liked them last game. Maybe....

Landeskog-Soderberg-Matthias
Boedker-Rantanen-Comeau
Grigorenko-Mitchell-Iginla

?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Rantanen with a 3 point night, tonight. Book it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Got a feeling Landeskog and Soderberg will both be seeing at least 20 minutes, if not creeping into the 21-22 minute territory.

One thing I've started to notice lately is Roy's reluctance to play McLeod. He isn't getting that much ice time anymore. Better that way.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Adjusted lines in the GDT to match Landy with Soda and Matthias, Rantanen plugged into MacK's spot, and the Mitchell line same as last game.

Would not be surprised to see Matthias and Comeau swap though.

And now it is nap time.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Besides the odd fight and penalty I haven't seen much if anything from Cody. I know Roy used to love him but there's got to be better options out there for next season.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, so much for potentially centering Boedker and Comeau. Rantanen gets the 4th line treatment.

I should have known better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad