GDT: Game 73: Avs@Oilers| Sunday, 20 Mar, 19:30 MT | Monday, 21 Mar 08:30 BKK | Rantanen!!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think Martinsen belongs in the NHL, despite having scored a couple of big goals. But I don't have a problem with the way he's playing. He's trying to make a difference with the tools he has.

You don't ask a poodle to solve Rubik's Cube, you know.

I love this.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bigras has seen shifts here and there with EJ and Barrie lately. When you only run 5 D, you have to find a way to get him out there, and he looks fine in those spots. I just don't like that they go into games knowing that that 6th D is going to get benched, and that he has to find Bigras his spots.

Quite frankly, I think Holden has been junk for a while now, but part of it isn't really his fault, as he held on as well as he could with the heavy minutes he was given.

EJ playing the way he has the last week or two covers up a lot of the problems.

Yeah that's a fair worry, it's just hard to believe Roy is really ok with running this teams defense with a willing handicap every night. At some point you have to say enough is enough when you have other options.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Said Landeskog would show up huge and he did. Outstanding performance from that entire line. Cycled the Oilers to death nearly every shift.

Favourite play of the game: Barrie gets rocked by Maroon, and then comes right back and hammers Maroon by our bench. Loved seeing that.

EJ phenomenal game, beast out there last two weeks.

Thought Grigorenko struggled, but getting shifted back to centre and playing with two new linemates can do that to a player who seems to rely a bit more on chemistry than physical abilities.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Grigorenko hasn't been playing as well as we've seen him play in the recent week(s). He's not necessarily been "bad", but also hasn't been that great either. But, I expect that it's just the growing pains we'll have to take with Grigorenko this year. Roy & his staff have done a good job bringing him along so far, so I'll continue trusting them with his development.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm happy getting two points while missing our top two centers. It's nice to have Landeskog back, he was a beast out there. EJ was really good, especially when he had the puck on his stick. Pickard did what he needed to do.

Rantanen barely got any playing time so it's tough to comment on him too much. I would agree that he looked a bit nervous the few times he did touch the puck and his skating and puck handling looked off. I still hope he gets more playing time next game.

Not one of Bigras' best games. For some reason he seemed to be giving their forwards a bit too much respect. Also, he took at least three pretty solid hits while trying to make a play. I like that he doesn't just blindly throw it down the ice but he has to get a lot better/smarter at that. After the second hit he took early in the game, he skated off very slowly and looked to be in pain.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Playing the 6th D on this team as little as possible, and leaning on the top 5 is a good thing. They shouldn't wait till Bodnarchuk or Redmond make a mistake they should do it anyway. To hopefully avoid the mistake.

The top 5 can handle playing more minutes. It's crunch time, there's no point in saving EJ or Beauch's legs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah, Grigo was so good the other night I thought that line with Mitchell was going to stick. Grigo got used to being on the wing and he does seem to be someone that needs to get used to things.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Said Landeskog would show up huge and he did. Outstanding performance from that entire line. Cycled the Oilers to death nearly every shift.

Favourite play of the game: Barrie gets rocked by Maroon, and then comes right back and hammers Maroon by our bench. Loved seeing that.

EJ phenomenal game, beast out there last two weeks.

Thought Grigorenko struggled, but getting shifted back to centre and playing with two new linemates can do that to a player who seems to rely a bit more on chemistry than physical abilities.

Yeah he is in a very tough position right now. For a guy that started the year as a healthy scratch/barely playing to be forced to be the 2nd line center is ridiculous. The guy has played his butt off this year, and earned playing time, but he is out of his league trying to play top 6 center, wing is a different story where he has looked decent playing top 6 wing, but center there is just so much responsibility.

Hopefully he only has to do it for one more game. I'm hoping Duchene is back ready to go against Minnesota next Saturday. Then at least Soderberg and Duchene can occupy the top 2 center spots.

It was a nice team win tonight. I'm glad we were able to play against one of the worst teams in the league, because playing without your 2 best offensive threats is not a recipe for success in this league. But Edmonton made it pretty easy on us.

And for anyone who thinks Rantanen is going to play more than 3 games you're high. I'm not sure why they even bothered bring him up, would have been smarter to go with Rendulic or Everberg. Especially since all they are going to do is run himout on the 4th line.

Can't blame Roy and Sakic for not wanting to burn a year of his ELC or get him a "year" of experience with the upcoming expansion drafts we'll probably see soon. If we don't have to protect Rantanen due to his less than 2 years experience that just frees up a space to protect a player like Grigorenko.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah he is in a very tough position right now. For a guy that started the year as a healthy scratch/barely playing to be forced to be the 2nd line center is ridiculous. The guy has played his butt off this year, and earned playing time, but he is out of his league trying to play top 6 center, wing is a different story where he has looked decent playing top 6 wing, but center there is just so much responsibility.

Hopefully he only has to do it for one more game. I'm hoping Duchene is back ready to go against Minnesota next Saturday. Then at least Soderberg and Duchene can occupy the top 2 center spots.

It was a nice team win tonight. I'm glad we were able to play against one of the worst teams in the league, because playing without your 2 best offensive threats is not a recipe for success in this league. But Edmonton made it pretty easy on us.

And for anyone who thinks Rantanen is going to play more than 3 games you're high. I'm not sure why they even bothered bring him up, would have been smarter to go with Rendulic or Everberg. Especially since all they are going to do is run himout on the 4th line.

Can't blame Roy and Sakic for not wanting to burn a year of his ELC or get him a "year" of experience with the upcoming expansion drafts we'll probably see soon. If we don't have to protect Rantanen due to his less than 2 years experience that just frees up a space to protect a player like Grigorenko.

AHL counts as a pro league, so it doesn't matter. The only difference is burning a year of his ELC.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
EJ looks healthy again. And great. McDavid and Hall were having trouble getting by him on the rush all night.

Boedker needs to be re-signed. He is a difference maker. Anyone catch that comment that he learned how to forecheck from Tippet, but they played too structured in Phoenix, and he is a little more free in Colorado? If he is back next season, I could see a 60 point season under his belt. He is driving the play every time he gets the puck.

Nurse looks like he is going to be a hell of a player. Big, fast, and mean. Oilers got a good one.

Rantanen was unimpressive. I'm glad Roy started him on the fourth line. Would have hurt his confidence more being bumped out of the top-6 mid game. I'm sure he will look more adjusted next game.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I thought Grigorenko was good last night. Guess I'm in the minority though. He looked to fit really well with Boedker in my opinion.

If we were ever in a situation where Rantanen is still on the team and one of Duchene/Mackinnon are back in the lineup I'd prefer Grigorenko at centre than Rantanen.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Sour grapes lol

ok we took two centers off and our star goalie and have beaten the tar out of the teams in our conference except for mini ... funny when ignorance is seen in forums but not that unusual...its when its in a national sports artical thats its of greater sadness...

Avs could really be the SHOCKER in the post.. if they make it ....

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

Well everybody thought that after Mac's injury, he'd be playing in the top 6.... If he could have played decently/good in the top 6, he had gotten more than 3 games possibly

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Another 5:45 for Bodnarchuk, and a bit lost on the first Edmonton goal. So is Roy done with him now or is he going to just let him do this against playoff teams before he realizes he should look to Zadorov? Good team will expose you when you're only using 1/2 a third pairing.

I'll defend Bodnarchuk a little on that goal, nobody else was covering the front of the net with two Oilers there.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'll defend Bodnarchuk a little on that goal, nobody else was covering the front of the net with two Oilers there.
I would agree with that too. EJ went up real high, and Rantanen wasn't really covering anyone. Bodnarchuk just kind of floated away from both guys in front after laying down, though. The whole play started with him getting manhandled on the forecheck a few times.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Hate to say I told y'all so about Boedker, but not really I don't.

What's up with Rantanen? Can't expect him to be instant impact I suppose, but from what I read he looked bad.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
What's up with Rantanen? Can't expect him to be instant impact I suppose, but from what I read he looked bad.

He's a 19yo rookie who is going up against NHL defensemen and forwards. This is why I liked having him on the 4th line. Don't want to force him to be the team saviour and there's no reason to expect him to be if you think about it rationally. Even Bigras had a transition period when he first made the jump.

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
Hate to say I told y'all so about Boedker, but not really I don't.

Playing as a teenager in the NHL is hard. Playing every single damn game out of position in the NHL is harder. He has yet to play a single of his games in the NHL at right wing. Not one.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
EJ looks healthy again. And great. McDavid and Hall were having trouble getting by him on the rush all night.

Boedker needs to be re-signed. He is a difference maker. Anyone catch that comment that he learned how to forecheck from Tippet, but they played too structured in Phoenix, and he is a little more free in Colorado? If he is back next season, I could see a 60 point season under his belt. He is driving the play every time he gets the puck.

Nurse looks like he is going to be a hell of a player. Big, fast, and mean. Oilers got a good one.

Rantanen was unimpressive. I'm glad Roy started him on the fourth line. Would have hurt his confidence more being bumped out of the top-6 mid game. I'm sure he will look more adjusted next game.

Agree wholeheartedly with the bolded. Get this guy signed, he fits in so well with the team. We would be so out of it right now without him it's not even funny.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I would agree with that too. EJ went up real high, and Rantanen wasn't really covering anyone. Bodnarchuk just kind of floated away from both guys in front after laying down, though. The whole play started with him getting manhandled on the forecheck a few times.

I don't know if it's been different over the last 6-7 games but the first 5 games or so in the AHL that Rantanen played at centre he was always never really covering anyone. He doesn't look like a centre in the defensive zone. It doesn't seem like he even really knows how to play it even though I know he has played it in the past.

Maybe he's been better in March but he didn't look like a good fit at centre for me in my viewings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad