GDT: Game 73: Avs@Oilers| Sunday, 20 Mar, 19:30 MT | Monday, 21 Mar 08:30 BKK | Rantanen!!

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
EJ looks healthy again. And great. McDavid and Hall were having trouble getting by him on the rush all night.

Boedker needs to be re-signed. He is a difference maker. Anyone catch that comment that he learned how to forecheck from Tippet, but they played too structured in Phoenix, and he is a little more free in Colorado? If he is back next season, I could see a 60 point season under his belt. He is driving the play every time he gets the puck.

Nurse looks like he is going to be a hell of a player. Big, fast, and mean. Oilers got a good one.

Rantanen was unimpressive. I'm glad Roy started him on the fourth line. Would have hurt his confidence more being bumped out of the top-6 mid game. I'm sure he will look more adjusted next game.

They haven't done him any favours this season with how they've handled him basically throwing him to the wolves with little AHL time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Best part of that recurring sketch was Hader as Buckingham and Sudeikis as the dancing afro'd guy in the red tracksuit.

Oh god yes. Although I can't help but love the excitement on Kenan's face when the music sparks up right before he breaks back into song.

They haven't done him any favours this season with how they've handled him basically throwing him to the wolves with little AHL time.

So much this. Watching the Oilers try to ruin Nurse this season, has made me so happy that we have the patience to develop Zadorov properly. Nurse looked a lot better than he did last time against us, but that might be the first Oilers game I've watched this year where he didn't look like a tirefire...or like a faster but even more confused version of Holden...

Last edited:

member 116861

7 different nationalities represented by our 12 forwards last night. Pretty amazing.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Playing as a teenager in the NHL is hard. Playing every single damn game out of position in the NHL is harder. He has yet to play a single of his games in the NHL at right wing. Not one.

Oh darn, the kid hasn't (yet) played a game with the big club on his off-wing. I know some guys prefer to play off wing side, some prefer to play natural wing side. But wing is the easiest position on the ice to play, regardless of side. Playing either side never constitutes playing the wrong side.

I will give him slack for playing center...that is an order of magnitude tougher. I will give him credit for playing his first real games on NA ice. I will give him credit for his age.

All of that is plenty of reason for him to not be the first star of any given game this season. He does not need the excuse of playing the "wrong" wing...'cause there is no such thing as wrong wing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh darn, the kid hasn't (yet) played a game with the big club on his off-wing. I know some guys prefer to play off wing side, some prefer to play natural wing side. But wing is the easiest position on the ice to play, regardless of side. Playing either side never constitutes playing the wrong side.

I will give him slack for playing center...that is an order of magnitude tougher. I will give him credit for playing his first real games on NA ice. I will give him credit for his age.

All of that is plenty of reason for him to not be the first star of any given game this season. He does not need the excuse of playing the "wrong" wing...'cause there is no such thing as wrong wing.

There's no such thing as the wrong wing but it does make a pretty big difference in terms of comfort. Ask Alex Ovechkin why he prefers LW so much more than RW despite being a right-shot

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mikko is generally more comfortable and dynamic when he's playing on the RW. That's not an excuse or anything, just a fact about his game. We'll see in the coming years if he can get just as comfortable and dynamic on the left or down the middle, but to this point he's usually been on the right when he's been at his most impressive.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't get why Roy would know that and still play him anywhere else.

Because that was true of Landeskog prior to being drafted as well, who's now just as good on the left as he is the right. When you're young and developing that sort of thing can be more important than once you're experienced and settled in. That's why Matt looked great at RW this season, after struggling horrible on the wing when Sacco tried it years ago.

Plus Mikko's played plenty of Center coming up, including his recent time in SA, and his impact would be so much bigger if he could get as comfortable/dynamic at C as he is on the wing. It's worth figuring out if he can do it for us, and become a studlier version of Soda. Not like it's going to destroy his development if it ends up not working out and he plays Winger full-time having had this Center-experience. And with the way Patrick's handled Greg this year, I have a lot of faith in him to get things right with Mikko as well.

E:
Also Center is where we had the injuries that necessitated his call up. So it was either keep him at the position he's been playing lately for the rampage; or move Matthias off of that 18-34-92 line and push McCleod or Skille into the top 9. Since Mikko wasn't going to get thrown onto a top 9 line until Roy saw him playing against NHLers again.

Last edited:

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
I've been very underwhelmed by Rants in the few games I've seen him play at a NHL level. His skating honestly seems bad. Now I'm not saying a few games as a 19 year old kid is any indication of what he can become. He was likely nervous and still adapting.

What is the realistic projected talent level for him as a whole? Is he a second liner? I'm still super excited to watch him develop, but I guess the hype train really had me going there.

Again, I'm not slamming the kid, I'm just wondering as I haven't had a chance to watch him in the AHL. Maybe TV or someone could fill me in?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
His potential on the wing is of a first liner, and the likelihood is pretty good that he will come close to reaching that. As center... too much is unknown with how he takes to that position at higher levels.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd rather Rantanen play the wing. We've got MacKinnon, Duchene, and Soderberg at centre and we've got depth players like Grigorenko and Mitchell who can/do play centre, we're sorely lacking on the wing. That's where he needs to play.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd rather Rantanen play the wing. We've got MacKinnon, Duchene, and Soderberg at centre and we've got depth players like Grigorenko and Mitchell who can/do play centre, we're sorely lacking on the wing. That's where he needs to play.

Agreed. This might be the Avs going all size queen once again and wanting another bigger center but I think they should just let him play wing. Has he played RW in the NHL yet? I know he spent some time at LW earlier and now he's at center.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
I don't know what's going to happen with Boedker but I really hope the Avs re-sign Matthias. That line with Soda and Landy is awesome.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've been very underwhelmed by Rants in the few games I've seen him play at a NHL level. His skating honestly seems bad. Now I'm not saying a few games as a 19 year old kid is any indication of what he can become. He was likely nervous and still adapting.

What is the realistic projected talent level for him as a whole? Is he a second liner? I'm still super excited to watch him develop, but I guess the hype train really had me going there.

Again, I'm not slamming the kid, I'm just wondering as I haven't had a chance to watch him in the AHL. Maybe TV or someone could fill me in?

His skating is fine, it hadn't been a problem for him at all. He's not all hype either, he deserves all the accolades he's been given. It's all things because of his hockey sense and drive. He's a flat out difference maker. I really don't know what he can do from a limited 4th line role. That's not who he is at all. I get easing him in but I wish it was the third line at least. It's sort of like Grigo, he got better in the 4th line but he never did much there either. Rantanen is sort of like Grigo but he has a bit more power in his game, he's a bit more aggressive.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

We've already seen Dutchy and MacK both thrive on the wing. So if Mikko made it as a Center we'd likely see one of them taking his place as a RW. Meaning that no matter which position he made it at, we'd be filling one of our holes on the wing...whether it be with Mikko himself, or with one of Matt/MacK.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Oh god yes. Although I can't help but love the excitement on Kenan's face when the music sparks up right before he breaks back into song.

So much this. Watching the Oilers try to ruin Nurse this season, has made me so happy that we have the patience to develop Zadorov properly. Nurse looked a lot better than he did last time against us, but that might be the first Oilers game I've watched this year where he didn't look like a tirefire...or like a faster but even more confused version of Holden...

Not directed at you, but.......Funny, I was under the impression that we don't have any idea what we are doing developing anyone. Might as well have Mr. Rodgers running the show.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We've already seen Dutchy and MacK both thrive on the wing. So if Mikko made it as a Center we'd likely see one of them taking his place as a RW. Meaning that no matter which position he made it at, we'd be filling one of our holes on the wing...whether it be with Mikko himself, or with one of Matt/MacK.

Just play Rantanen on the wing

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not directed at you, but.......Funny, I was under the impression that we don't have any idea what we are doing developing anyone. Might as well have Mr. Rodgers running the show.

Erm...yeah, of course. I mean obviously we don't know what we're doing. But luckily we're accidentally not butchering the development of our super-talented, but raw, young dman like the oilers are...by accident...certainly not on purpose, because Roykic are too inept to be doing anything right on purpose.

...I definitely didn't fall out of character and suggest that Roykic might actully be any good at something...

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Erm...yeah, of course. I mean obviously we don't know what we're doing. But luckily we're accidentally not butchering the development of our super-talented, but raw, young dman like the oilers are...by accident...certainly not on purpose, because Roykic are too inept to be doing anything right on purpose.

...I definitely didn't fall out of character and suggest that Roykic might actully be any good at something...

:laugh: Thanks for making me laugh....honestly. I needed a good laugh.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think Nurse will be a damn good dman. Its ok to admit it guys. You wont get your Av card pulled or anything.
Thats the advantage these bottom dwellers have. They can do this baptism by fire with their young guys and they can learn on the job and screw up and no one will care that much.

Rants has a shaky game and you guys are bringing out the Siskel and Ebert routine.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The problem with both Mack and Dutch at center is that they are too much alike. They attack the offensive zone, cycle/spin around, and defend pretty much the same way. It is easier for the other teams to defend against knowing what to expect all the time. I think Sakic and Roy understand that and that is why they are trying to move Rants to C long term or at least until they have another long term solution. I also think they realize Soda is more of an average #2C/strong #3C. He is adequate for now at #2C but they have to plan for a replacement when they lose him to either expansion or when they need the cap space. Having Rants at #2C gives them two different type of Cs and with Duchene converting well to RW and being OK with it, it solves a few issues. That's assuming Rants can become a #1/#2C. If his ceiling at C is #3 than I prefer he stays at wings.

Assuming I'm right we could have something like that next year:

Boeker-Mack-Iginla
Comeau-Rants-Dutch
Matthias-Soda-Landy

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The problem with both Mack and Dutch at center is that they are too much alike. They attack the offensive zone, cycle/spin around, and defend pretty much the same way. It is easier for the other teams to defend against knowing what to expect all the time. I think Sakic and Roy understand that and that is why they are trying to move Rants to C long term or at least until they have another long term solution. I also think they realize Soda is more of an average #2C/strong #3C. He is adequate for now at #2C but they have to plan for a replacement when they lose him to either expansion or when they need the cap space. Having Rants at #2C gives them two different type of Cs and with Duchene converting well to RW and being OK with it, it solves a few issues. That's assuming Rants can become a #1/#2C. If his ceiling at C is #3 than I prefer he stays at wings.

Assuming I'm right we could have something like that next year:

Boeker-Mack-Iginla
Comeau-Rants-Dutch
Matthias-Soda-Landy

I'll take a stab at that for next year,

Grigorenko - MacK - Boedker
Matthias - Rantanen - Duchene
Landeskog - Soderberg - Comeau
McLeod - Mitchell - Iginla

Can't believe you left out Greg

Ad

Upcoming events