GDT: Game 72: Red Wings at caps 7:00 pm et 3/26/24 (ESPN+, HULU)

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
Last season, Yzerman flipped out when we showed we couldn't play playoff style hockey against the Senators. He gave up on the season and sold at the deadline.

This season, we had a bad stretch but we had started clicking when the deadline came around and I feel like Stevie didn't want to send players packing again. He bet on the team. They were over achieving and maybe the team had finally jelled into a tight unit that were fighting for each other and would for the rest of the season.

So... Now, if I were him, I'd be pissed and looking to clean house. I put my faith in you and you played like absolute shit when it mattered most. Get the f*** out of here. Everyone. Keep Raymond and Seider and send everyone else packing.
That's a bit much. Kane has been an amazing addition. He's the one vet I'd definitely keep around. And chariot has had a much better season too.

Copp, petry, maata, holl, perron all need to go this off-season imo. We need youth to come in with more skill and speed and if lalonde can't handle that than goodbye.

Reactions: jkutswings

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
At one point of the season I even started to believe. Then, everything returned to the normal state.

The team would have made the playoffs if Larkin didn't get injured twice. I said before the season started that Larkin has to stay healthy for the team to make the playoffs.

To me it's funny how the whole freakin team is sick, didn't they learn anything from the pandemic? Time to find new team doctors.

Reactions: Sentinel

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
The team would have made the playoffs if Larkin didn't get injured twice. I said before the season started that Larkin has to stay healthy for the team to make the playoffs.

To me it's funny how the whole freakin team is sick, didn't they learn anything from the pandemic? Time to find new team doctors.
No the team would have made the playoffs with a different coach than Fester. He's created this mental midget mentality and easy to play against system we have incorporated somehow. And not just Fester but alot of the coaching staff needs to go.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

All team deal with injuries and Larkin was not out for too long. This season was almost injuryfree. Our starter got injured and has been out for a long time, but it seems both Lyon and Reimer outplayed him.

Anyhow, DeBrincat started and finished the scoring in this game. He turned the puck over and they opened the scoring with their 1st and they finished the scoring with their 4th and the gwg. DeBrincat made both goals happen.
Fabbri had 3-4 glorious chances. No goals. Sprong would get a hag trick.
Reimer is 6-1 in his last 7, Lyon has not won this month.
Sometimes you have to play your "lucky" players.

Yzerman has 3 pricey and terrible contracts on his hands. Lalonde is completely clueless. Larkin turns 28 this summer.
On the bright side, Edvidson has looked good/very good.

Yzerman and Lalonde have disappointed. They should have figured out by now they can't have both DeBrincat and Fabbri in the lineup. Now it is too late.in the last 39 games DeBrincat and Fabbri have combined 4 goals. Fischer has 3 in his last 6. This is despite that he does not get any PP time while Fabbri and DeBrincat do.

Reactions: flychairman

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
We would not. What is this Torts fan club here?
Tortorella wears out his welcome but he holds the players accountable. Lalonde doesn't seem to do that. Same lineups. Playing guys that constantly f*** up. Not going with the hot goalie until its too late. He lacks experience and is too nice for this group. They need a tougher coach and one with a vision that players either buy into or get benched.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
All team deal with injuries and Larkin was not out for too long.
Not all teams, this one sucks.

It's been proven time and time again that this team is complete garbage without DBoss. My prediction was based on current roster and coaches. It is what it is.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
View attachment 842061

giphy.gif

This is hard to look at and immediately makes me want everyone fired

At one point of the season I even started to believe. Then, everything returned to the normal state.

That’s what makes it hurt the worst. I finally let my guard down because I actually believed in them and then they do this

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Torts is a hard ass, but he turns the locker room into us vs the world, which is amazing for morale and motivation. He defends his guys, and they love him for it. Lalonde is more like Babcock style players vs the coaches. But the players hating you only works if you're winning.
I would replace Babcock with Blashill, but yeah you're right.

This is hard to look at and immediately makes me want everyone fired

That’s what makes it hurt the worst. I finally let my guard down because I actually believed in them and then they do this
Yup...It would be cruel, but yet hilarious if the coaching staff were given the 'Gallant Treatment'.

Barring any incredible move/s by Yzerman this summer - I expect identical results this time next season.

Reactions: DamonDRW

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Not all teams, this one sucks.

It's been proven time and time again that this team is complete garbage without DBoss. My prediction was based on current roster and coaches. It is what it is.
You can't choose which players get injured. And if they are so dependent on one player then the team really sucks.
But even with him they lost to capitals. It was pathetic. I think the coach is a huge problem. DeBrincat almost singelhandedly losing us games. Last night 2 goals were his turnovers.

Tough loss.

Was probably our best overall hockey at this season.

Great effort from everyone.

I'd like to see more this for 10 last games.
I think we played better vs predators and Vegas. This game was our to lose and Lalonde found the way.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
It's tough. I don't think lalonde is the right guy. Seider has 100% regressed under lalonde. But is that lalonde? Or has the rest of the league just figured seider out better?

Raymond has taken a massive step forward this year under lalonde. Or is patrick kane having a big influence?

I think lalaonde will be back for 1 more year while Stevie brings up more kids and monitors things. Stevie knows he has time. No risk of losing his job. But if he starts bringing in new coaches all the time then eyes will narrow toward him. I'd love to see a new coach on this team but I don't see it happening yet.
I think kane is having a massive influence on raymond and some people around here are downplaying the significance of one of the easiest first ballot hall of famer being able to teach him every day in practice, off ice, and during the game. You can see moves that raymond is trying/succeeding and he never tried it before. Yes, that is confidence thats growing as a 21 year old; however, to say kane has little influence is completely absurd.

I don't think Seider regressed that much...

We all should remember that walman has been out, petry has the flu apparently (he's already pretty dumb, but add that to the mix and you get an empty cage looked at, smirked at, then try sliding it to a guy that is covered by 3 players), Ed made a couple of bad plays, and you have ghost trying to be makar out there and he clearly just isn't him (especially with the passing. God i hate his passing).

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
you guys see the post game press conference with Lalonde? He downright kicked copp in the nuts and threw him under the bus on the 3rd goal against. Essentially blamed him completely for it.

Probably could of used that energy 15 games ago, but whatever.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
you guys see the post game press conference with Lalonde? He downright kicked copp in the nuts and threw him under the bus on the 3rd goal against. Essentially blamed him completely for it.

Probably could of used that energy 15 games ago, but whatever.
Interesting. Did he mention that Copp is overpaid and needs to learn how to shoot?

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Well it was a good game. But there were 4 or 5 moments in the third period where I found myself screaming at the TV......WTF are you doing ? Just so many dumb plays.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

"Just a faceoff man-on-man, I don't know what our center (Copp) was thinking," Lalonde said. "He lost it clean and left the center and that's the guy (Strome) who banged it home. That's minor hockey, that's Hockey 101, that's hockey 15 years ago and hockey 15 years from now.

"Just really disappointed in that one."

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

"Just a faceoff man-on-man, I don't know what our center (Copp) was thinking," Lalonde said. "He lost it clean and left the center and that's the guy (Strome) who banged it home. That's minor hockey, that's Hockey 101, that's hockey 15 years ago and hockey 15 years from now.

"Just really disappointed in that one."
holy crap I thought you were making that up! Lalonde actually said something critical!

More of this please!

I actually re-watched that Strome goal because I was wondering how he got past Copp. Copp lost the faceoff but inexplicably took off like he won it and was gonna head out on a breakaway.

I'm often the one pointing out Copp's lack or production and AAV is not the Wings biggest problem, but holy hell man this is one of the things you're supposed to be good at! Winning faceoffs and covering your man!

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Torts is a hard ass, but he turns the locker room into us vs the world, which is amazing for morale and motivation. He defends his guys, and they love him for it. Lalonde is more like Babcock style players vs the coaches. But the players hating you only works if you're winning.
Are you in the locker room?

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad