GDT: Game 72: Red Wings at caps 7:00 pm et 3/26/24 (ESPN+, HULU)

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
They will lose all 4.
You said they will win all 4?

Sprong vs DeBrincat and Fabbri
DeBrincat made the turnover and they scored their 1st goal. He also made the turnover and they scored their gwg. The season is over. We can't make playoffs. We will lose next 4.
Fabbri had many great chances, did not score. Sprong would have get a hat trick from those chances.
Lalonde is brutal. If Yzerman is smart, he has to get rid of him asap.
what I originally said was, if they win the next 4, I delete my account, which I 100% will do if it happens lol...theres no way we win the next 4, but if they do, then this account will be retired

but then you said, AND its in writing buddy, just scroll up, in your own words;

"I bet my house they will lose all 4" so I took you up on that. So if we win 1 of the next 4, your house is mine :laugh:

Norway seems pretty sick, I could get used to it

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Right now we are a mishmash of players. Some want to make passes and play possession hockey. Some just love chipping and chasing. The entire team is not on the same page.

You could see they were told to play a dump and chase game at the start of the game. When you see Kane dumping it ya know. His game ain't that.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Lol. Seider’s a righty, that pass was way behind him. Pretty strange hill to die on.
I agree, Cat threw that pass like he was expecting a lefty to one time it.

Disappointed in both players on that one, poor pass by Cat and poor handling of the pass by Mo.

Two worst plays of the night involved the puck in Mo skates. That second goal against Mo just looked down at the puck for what felt like 10 seconds before finally coughing it up. Real deflating moment for sure.

Tough to see an avenue to the playoffs at this point. I am not throwing the towel in yet, but getting the shoulder loose for sure.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I’m at surprising to me how it seems like to me he looked oblivious though. Righty or lefty.
I’d have to go back and see the replay to see Seider’s level of surprise. But I know for sure it was a bad pass. It would have been perfect to a lefty, which is what DeBrincat’s lizard brain maybe thought in that moment.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
It really doesn't. I would have loved the two, but seriously, no, I feel no differently about their chances of making the playoffs after this game than I did before this game.

I feel like Washington runs out of gas and we pass them late. And if that doesn't happen, I think Philly runs out of gas and we pass them.

It would be a lot less heartburn to have just not won a single game in 7 to knock ourselves down, but I really don't believe for a second we're out.
I honestly appreciate and respect your optimism, and I wish I could see it this way, but I just cant.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I just don't see him getting canned after two seasons. The power play is 10th in the league. The PK is 14th. Wings are 8th in Goals For. They have a positive goal differential.

It's frustrating to see a team go on a skid like that and him not seeming to have a lot of ideas. It just don't think he's on the hotseat yet.

And I would LOVE to see him use a timeout to settle the friggin team down.
All very logical statements. I guess what I'm saying is that I understand being patient with young players, because they need time to grow into their potential and learn to be good NHL players. You can see the flashes from the kids and be willing to wait until everything clicks and they come into their own.

But I don't see anything from Lalonde that hints at him one day being a very good to great head coach, as opposed to a very good to great assistant coach who is now slightly over his head. So I don't see the benefit of being patient with him, because I only expect more of the same next year. And yeah, the roster isn't currently a better coach away from challenging for the Cup. But if they might be a better coach away from making the playoffs versus missing, or winning a round versus not - and you don't expect the current guy to improve - then why keep the status quo? I think that's TOO much patience, at least for a fairly easy change to make.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I agree, Cat threw that pass like he was expecting a lefty to one time it.

Disappointed in both players on that one, poor pass by Cat and poor handling of the pass by Mo.

Two worst plays of the night involved the puck in Mo skates. That second goal against Mo just looked down at the puck for what felt like 10 seconds before finally coughing it up. Real deflating moment for sure.

Tough to see an avenue to the playoffs at this point. I am not throwing the towel in yet, but getting the shoulder loose for sure.

maybe he thought he was passing to Kane :sarcasm:

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
I hope I'm wrong. But it feels a lot like our season is over. It's been a fun ride. Another year of early golfing.

Reactions: DamonDRW

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
what I originally said was, if they win the next 4, I delete my account, which I 100% will do if it happens lol...theres no way we win the next 4, but if they do, then this account will be retired

but then you said, AND its in writing buddy, just scroll up, in your own words;

"I bet my house they will lose all 4" so I took you up on that. So if we win 1 of the next 4, your house is mine :laugh:

Norway seems pretty sick, I could get used to it
I bet my house, you will delete your account? Are you serious? It's like betting 10 millions to 1 dollar.
I’d have to go back and see the replay to see Seider’s level of surprise. But I know for sure it was a bad pass. It would have been perfect to a lefty, which is what DeBrincat’s lizard brain maybe thought in that moment.
That pass was brutal. We easily win this game if DeBrincat makes an easy pass to Seider. Why he passed it behind him is unbelievable

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This team isn’t going anywhere until Emmitt Finnie is NHL ready.
This being Larkin's 9th season - he's only seen/played in 5 playoff games.

9 seasons Yzerman played in 50 playoff games.

With Larkin being our 'best' player and with '?' coming from GR in the next few years...I'd say it's gonna be a loooong time before we have any playoff success.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I bet my house, you will delete your account? Are you serious? It's like betting 10 millions to 1 dollar.

That pass was brutal. We easily win this game if DeBrincat makes an easy pass to Seider. Why he passed it behind him is unbelievable
Yes I'm being serious, you put your house on the line, and I'm pretty confident this HFboards evidence right here will hold up in court if we dont lose the next 4

(no I'm not being serious)

the only thing Im being serious about, is if we win the next 4 games, Im retiring from HFboards

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
gross.png

giphy.gif

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The Lalonde special. Dump and chase but don’t you dare lay a hit on the chase. Just kind of glide past him and wave your stick.

That’ll show them!
Blashill's team did the same. Just a very easy team to play against.

Imagine these bums in a playoff series refusing to forecheck each game. Good luck making a run with this philosophy.

With Larkin being our 'best' player and with '?' coming from GR in the next few years...I'd say it's gonna be a loooong time before we have any playoff success.
I feel bad for Larkin. He deserves to play for a playoff team.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Yzerman began his career when only 5 teams in the league missed the playoffs.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Well they're walking away with a point which isn't the worse case scenario. Problem is, they really needed the best case scenario of a regulation win against the Caps tonight. Sadly they're not in charge of their own destiny anymore. Not only do they need a good record from here on out (with some tough matchups coming up), but they'll need luck too.

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
All very logical statements. I guess what I'm saying is that I understand being patient with young players, because they need time to grow into their potential and learn to be good NHL players. You can see the flashes from the kids and be willing to wait until everything clicks and they come into their own.

But I don't see anything from Lalonde that hints at him one day being a very good to great head coach, as opposed to a very good to great assistant coach who is now slightly over his head. So I don't see the benefit of being patient with him, because I only expect more of the same next year. And yeah, the roster isn't currently a better coach away from challenging for the Cup. But if they might be a better coach away from making the playoffs versus missing, or winning a round versus not - and you don't expect the current guy to improve - then why keep the status quo? I think that's TOO much patience, at least for a fairly easy change to make.
It's tough. I don't think lalonde is the right guy. Seider has 100% regressed under lalonde. But is that lalonde? Or has the rest of the league just figured seider out better?

Raymond has taken a massive step forward this year under lalonde. Or is patrick kane having a big influence?

I think lalaonde will be back for 1 more year while Stevie brings up more kids and monitors things. Stevie knows he has time. No risk of losing his job. But if he starts bringing in new coaches all the time then eyes will narrow toward him. I'd love to see a new coach on this team but I don't see it happening yet.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Last season, Yzerman flipped out when we showed we couldn't play playoff style hockey against the Senators. He gave up on the season and sold at the deadline.

This season, we had a bad stretch but we had started clicking when the deadline came around and I feel like Stevie didn't want to send players packing again. He bet on the team. They were over achieving and maybe the team had finally jelled into a tight unit that were fighting for each other and would for the rest of the season.

So... Now, if I were him, I'd be pissed and looking to clean house. I put my faith in you and you played like absolute shit when it mattered most. Get the f*** out of here. Everyone. Keep Raymond and Seider and send everyone else packing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad