Post-Game Talk: GAME 70 - Linus slams the door on the Sens - BRUINS 2 Ottawa 1

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Had to miss this one, was with my mom in the ER. She’s had some nasty bug/virus for over a week and is severely dehydrated, her bloodwork is all over the place and she can’t hold anything down (this is day 8).

Those of you with adult children, I know losing your independence must be hard and my mother is the most stubborn person alive. But please listen to us when we’re concerned for your health!
Hope she recovers soon!

My mother in law had a stroke in 2013, lost her ability to drive outside her small town after. Once she moved to the city in 2016, she lost her license completely and at times became quite bitter and took things out on my wife. She had another stroke in 2020 and just moved to a long term care home. Only 76. I'd like to think that I will be more understanding when I am 70 and things are taken away from me. If I make 70. :)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yeah, he's been a fan his whole life and then had two sons become huge Bruins fans. You can imagine the game seven conversations.

My brother was in the Garden for the comeback game and I was in Vancouver for the Cup.

He's doing great (better than they had hoped) and is already out of the hospital after only three weeks. He's a different man for the better, it's crazy how much it has revitalized him.

Cheers!
Oxygen has a way of doing that. I wish you many years together yet to come Congrats!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 22Brad Park

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Sure hope not. On a somewhat related topic, was I the only one unimpressed with Chychrun? The one game sample size is admittedly too small and invalid, but I did not see anything to make me go, “Wow.” At least based on what I saw, I am glad Donny did not mortgage the future to get him, even though he has term left on his contract.
Yes, and at one point I thought "oh, he's injured yet again." He came back luckily for him/the Sens but every time he gets into a jam, blocks a shot etc. I would be on eggshells worrying that he's gonna miss significant time for my team.

Reactions: BMC

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Nowhere to put this post yet, but can we pitch these Carolina 5 p.m. Sunday games as the second day of a back to back straight into the sun?? And with Tampa the day before. Such horsesh$t.
This would be a game I would rest whom ever I could as long as they have the replacements available due to cap crap

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Montgomery used his timeout excellently. He likely sensed goals would be difficult to come by, saw the first unit was clicking, rested them, and kept them on the ice.

Lindholm is not only a smooth skater, his hockey IQ is off the charts. Raycroft even asked him about the wrister from the point not being the best option on a 5-on-3, but Lindholm didn't force a pass that wasn't there.

My one dissatisfaction is Montgomery's handling of Lauko. Did the one mistake in his own end get him benched? If you're going to dress these guys, play them, especially when trying to manage minutes for veterans.

I don't know the reasoning behind this, but it feels Cassidy-esque.
I guess, no matter who the coach is he always feels better having his top guns on the ice. That, and Lauko REALLY needs to stick. His kind of determination and gumption are the things of playoff lore.
Starting against the Habs (Monty being a recovered Habs fan) I hope that they pull Bergy/Marchand/ McAvoy or Lindholm Thursday night and fight the urge to keep worrying about in-season records no matter how tempting.
The other thing is that Cassidy NEVER would've used the timeout at that juncture of the game (Hell, he barely liked using them at all). That T.O. by Monty was refreshing and so perfect. Talk about situational awareness!

Lindholm on that top power play definitely a difference maker. The guy covers the entire blue line and can get his shots on net.
I want to see Lindbolm and Orlov on the PP points in the playoffs. Scary scary SCARY! No more macaroni coughing it up at the blueline for a 2 on 1 the other way.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Hope she recovers soon!

My mother in law had a stroke in 2013, lost her ability to drive outside her small town after. Once she moved to the city in 2016, she lost her license completely and at times became quite bitter and took things out on my wife. She had another stroke in 2020 and just moved to a long term care home. Only 76. I'd like to think that I will be more understanding when I am 70 and things are taken away from me. If I make 70. :)
I dread when I can no longer drive.

I am 70 and just bought a new car...My last car

False Start

May 8, 2018
Montgomery used his timeout excellently. He likely sensed goals would be difficult to come by, saw the first unit was clicking, rested them, and kept them on the ice.

Lindholm is not only a smooth skater, his hockey IQ is off the charts. Raycroft even asked him about the wrister from the point not being the best option on a 5-on-3, but Lindholm didn't force a pass that wasn't there.

My one dissatisfaction is Montgomery's handling of Lauko. Did the one mistake in his own end get him benched? If you're going to dress these guys, play them, especially when trying to manage minutes for veterans.

I don't know the reasoning behind this, but it feels Cassidy-esque.
I didn't see it that way.

I saw it as his test run of the inevitable playoff injury. What happens when a winger gets dinged mid game in a playoff like atmosphere? Alright Bertuzzi, Debrusk, Winger X etc time to step it up and get your minutes in.

Unfortunately the rookie not playing was the outcome of this scenario. But I think he purposely shortened the bench to mentally prep the guys in a very tight game.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It amazes me that no fear for sid and malkin here. 3 cup champs legends hall of famers. When you have isles sens or panthers instead. I would like to avoid the pens no matter what our history is with them. Those 2 players can change a series if they wanna turn that extra gear. Very special guys.

But not enough. Pens defense & goaltending isn't there anymore. Unless they plan to win games 6-5 I don't see it happening. Hell they may not even make the playoffs at all.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I hope not. Stay positive. My father in law is 88 and drove south for the winter. In his new car.
My wife told me that Dick Van Dyke is still driving at 97 and just got in to a minor fendy-bendy yesterday.
My dad is 84 and just stopped driving. Mom is 81 and still a good driver.

Reactions: mjhfb and Ladyfan

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
In fairness, I think if Orlov weren't acquired, I don't think the numbers without Forbort would be as good.

Unprovable, of course, but logical, at least to me.

My only worry is that Malkin decides to try for a 7 game series. Not saying the B's don't win, just always worry the sleeping bear rises.

probably not because the bruins year long pk chance data is better with Forbort on the bench than when he's on the ice but when he was hurt last time the goalies had an on ice sv% of .780 so everyone believes Forbort, not bad fortune, was the reason for the change in performance.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My wife told me that Dick Van Dyke is still driving at 97 and just got in to a minor fendy-bendy yesterday.
My dad is 84 and just stopped driving. Mom is 81 and still a good driver.
I will drive as long as possible. I actually love to drive. I just don't want to drive if I shouldn't be.

I am getting used to an automatic shift after driving a stick for 55 years. I never realized how much I down shifted to slow down and now have to use the brakes. I forget to put the car into "PARK" sometimes but haven't been slamming my left foot to the floor as much as I did at first.

It is very fancy compared to my 13-year-old Accord. I like some of it. The heated seats are nice (after coming out of the Garden ) on my old hips and back.

I don't like when it shuts down at a stop sign (and restarts when you hit the gas) Supposedly saves on gas but I don't really believe that and turned it off.

I REALLY like the Harman Kadan

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Comparing 20 minutes to 146 minutes while leaving out the other stretch we were without Forbort?

To cherry pick these stats on the PK, the one part of his game he is undeniably good at, isn't the way to go. I get your point here that he should be the 7th D, but why not wait more than 3 games, 2 of 3 against fringe teams, before we look at these stats?

This is the sample we have and its not cherry picked. I resent that. Is it a small sample? sure, but I didn't omit or change any data to make my point, I just pointed out the numbers as they were.

Ive posted ad nauseum on this board the data of what happened when he was out last time. Fewer chances against, fewer high danger chances again, on ice sv% plummeted etc. I've posted the year long numbers that show Forbort gets the worst underlying numbers of any regular PK player.

I'm just pushing back on the fundamentally wrong narrative. Living on my truth island.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Jake is playing his way out of Boston.
That has been on my mind this season. His next contract will be his big chance at a good payday (UFA at age 27). Hoping like heck that DS sees him as core and will do what it takes to keep him in Boston. Also hoping Jake wants to stay in Boston and is willing to bend a little on his asking price. His overall game has improved a ton. What he has brought to the team this season is very important. He has developed a penchant for scoring goals at key moments that energize the team and tilt the game. With the cap now looking like it will indeed go up over the coming years by quite a bit I am more confident that DS is going to have some room to keep some of these guys that we all want back.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
That has been on my mind this season. His next contract will be his big chance at a good payday (UFA at age 27). Hoping like heck that DS sees him as core and will do what it takes to keep him in Boston. Also hoping Jake wants to stay in Boston and is willing to bend a little on his asking price. His overall game has improved a ton. What he has brought to the team this season is very important. He has developed a penchant for scoring goals at key moments that energize the team and tilt the game. With the cap now looking like it will indeed go up over the coming years by quite a bit I am more confident that DS is going to have some room to keep some of these guys that we all want back.
Well, Pasta told Bergy and Krejci that they'd get a million each of they stayed, and he and Sweeney would split it :laugh:

I think Jake could give in a little lol

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
probably not because the bruins year long pk chance data is better with Forbort on the bench than when he's on the ice but when he was hurt last time the goalies had an on ice sv% of .780 so everyone believes Forbort, not bad fortune, was the reason for the change in performance.
Here we go again
Will you guys give it up. The PK is good when Forbort is in there and it keeps Lindholm off the ice in these situation.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
so im new to betting but ive been doing pretty good.
if i want to put some money on the sway shutting out mtl tomorrow. how the hell do it do that on draft kings? do i just select no goalscorer fror mtl? or do i have to do something with the goaltenders?

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
I want to see Lindbolm and Orlov on the PP points in the playoffs. Scary scary SCARY! No more macaroni coughing it up at the blueline for a 2 on 1 the other way.
Remember when they'd set Chara up for the big blueline slapshot on the powerplay? That Orlov seems to have a good shot. Maybe set him up and have the forwards head for the net?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad