Post-Game Talk: GAME 70 - Linus slams the door on the Sens - BRUINS 2 Ottawa 1

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Nooooo! Don't give up the manual!! I've been driving stick for 27 years starting with my second car, and bought a new manual car 4 years ago with hopes it'll last me another 10-15 years. They are getting more scarce by the year, though.
I purchased only sticks and that was what I drove for 55 years.

The Crosstrek has a 6 speed BUT it only comes with the 2.0 engine, and I wanted the 2.5. I was sad to see the Accord being towed away but thankfully the kid who came to tow it ( for the auction) decided to give me money for it as he could fix it and liked the fact that it was a stick.

I am happy he wants to keep it. I hope he leaves my Bruins decals on it.

I have a couple of new decals that I will put on my new car AFTER I get back from the last game of the regular season in Montreal. I don't want any Hab fan damaging my new car.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
My guess is that his trade request might indicate the player's personality you're dealing with and the possibility it rubs Montgomery the wrong way.

Except he cut his TOI after poor plays.

All we can really do is speculate, though Monty is so different from Cassidy that I struggle with assigning that sort of handling to Monty (maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.) Monty is almost obsessively positive about his players publicly that I doubt we'll find out any time soon what the real back story is. I can only hope that he's communicating with Lauko what he needs to fix, and not talking to him for weeks at a a time, as was Cassidy's MO.

For all his positivity and approachable nature, Monty still has a hard edge - I think that's fairly apparent. Pretty much all good coaches do. I think Lauko's given a few hints that he's not happy with the opportunities he's being given, so there could well be a bit of disagreement or 'rubbing the wrong way' between he and the coach and GM, and perhaps Jim's not best pleased by that.

Of course we don't really know, and I would agree that hopefully at least the communication on these matters is better than it was in Cassidy's last season or two. My suspicion is that Lauko will be gone at season's end to try his hand somewhere else. The cap crunch might perhaps open things up in his favor in Boston but it feels unlikely. That's how it goes.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
No because PK% alone is rudimentary and shows zero causation. I also didn't include any data pre Jan 1 because the last 3 months of information seems relevant to the conversation.

Also, I don't love using actual GF data bc it tells us very little about potential future performance but it's all this group really responds to so I tried to meet people where they are.

I think you know I am no Forbort fan but there is something to be said for his PK shot blocking. If he isn't there one of Lindholm, Orlov, McAvoy or Clifton will have to pick it up because I don't see #48 doing it and that means increased risk of injury.

It ridiculous the NHL doesn't allow at least 1 more player to dress.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I'm not sure why results from the current season don't seem relevant. What do the same stats say when you use the entire season? It may not have been your intention, but it does seem like you didn't include the 2022 data because it didn't support (at least as strongly) the point you are clearly trying to make.
The truth is the underlying data is pretty static this entire season, the only real variance is a massive dip in on ice s% in November. The potato hands apologists have seen those numbers 100 times they just don’t care.

And frankly using pk data from 4 months ago doesn’t tell you very much, especially when they have orlov taking those minutes now.

The push back is because I don’t like the sacred cow bc he has bottom 10 d in the league 5v5 numbers and the potato hand apologists can’t handle criticism of their favorite player.

I think you know I am no Forbort fan but there is something to be said for his PK shot blocking. If he isn't there one of Lindholm, Orlov, McAvoy or Clifton will have to pick it up because I don't see #48 doing it and that means increased risk of injury.

It ridiculous the NHL doesn't allow at least 1 more player to dress.
There is an inverse relationship between blocked shots and goal prevention.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The truth is the underlying data is pretty static this entire season, the only real variance is a massive dip in on ice s% in November. The potato hands apologists have seen those numbers 100 times they just don’t care.

And frankly using pk data from 4 months ago doesn’t tell you very much, especially when they have orlov taking those minutes now.

The push back is because I don’t like the sacred cow bc he has bottom 10 d in the league 5v5 numbers and the potato hand apologists can’t handle criticism of their favorite player.

Well that sounds counterintuitive to me given the onus put on shot blocking in the NHL.

Now, to be clear, I am not advocating dressing him over #48 or #75 but the fact is someone of more value and way more if its 81,27 or 73 will eat the PK minutes and increase the chance of injury and not just because of blocking shots.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Well that sounds counterintuitive to me given the onus put on shot blocking in the NHL.

Now, to be clear, I am not advocating dressing him over #48 or #75 but the fact is someone of more value and way more if its 81,27 or 73 will eat the PK minutes and increase the chance of injury and not just because of blocking shots.
Top five teams in shots blocked/ Rank in goal difference all situations

1) Vegas #9
2) Montreal #28
3) Philadelphia #26
4) NYI #11
5) Columbus #31

Top 5 teams in fewest shots blocked Rank in goal difference

1) Carolina #3
2) Buffalo #22
3) Florida #16
4) Calgary #17
5) Edmonton #6

11) Boston #1

Theres a bit of noise here given its a 70 game sample but, in general, bad teams block a lot of shots because they never have the puck.

Regarding shots blocked on the PK. Forbort does block the most at 9.9/60. The other 4 are around 6. His underlying numbers on the kill are either the worst or second worst of any of the guys that play on the PK and he's been the luckiest by ALOT by PDO. That's a bit of a larger argument but to this conversation - there is zero correlation to his shot blocking and overall results on the PK. I understand the argument that if hes out there other people don't have to be, but given he's getting the worst 5v5 results by a mile with the 3rd fewest dzone starts out of the top 7 and the softest quality of competition makes him completely unplayable against top competition. Hope Monty reads this lol

1679574978879.png

Reactions: MerlotLineFan

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

If the stats are pretty static, then why not post them? Because with your continual reference to Forbort as "potato hands", it's becoming more and more clear that you've got as much of an agenda against him, and maybe more, then the so-called apologists have for him.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
If the stats are pretty static, then why not post them? Because with your continual reference to Forbort as "potato hands", it's becoming more and more clear that you've got as much of an agenda against him, and maybe more, then the so-called apologists have for him.
Half the season is irrelevant, only the 3 most recent games are relevant since they now have Orlov. But wait - the games on Mar 3 and Mar 11 where Forbort was scratched and we had Orlov are also not relevant enough to post for some reason?

I'm sure it's just because the stats are static though, nothing to do with the 80% PK clip in those games that further brings down that posted 3 game sample from 95% PK to 88%, lower than the cherry picked stats from Jan 1st with Forbort.

All hail the sacred cow, my new favourite player, Derek "Potato-Hands" Forbort

Reactions: PB37

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Half the season is irrelevant, only the 3 most recent games are relevant since they now have Orlov. But wait - the games on Mar 3 and Mar 11 where Forbort was scratched and we had Orlov are also not relevant enough to post for some reason?

I'm sure it's just because the stats are static though, nothing to do with the 80% PK clip in those games that further brings down that posted 3 game sample from 95% PK to 88%, lower than the cherry picked stats from Jan 1st with Forbort.

All hail the sacred cow, my new favourite player, Derek "Potato-Hands" Forbort
All that is fine. But he really does have potato hands…

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Yes the agenda is Forbort is ass and the little good he may or may not possilby do on the PK doesn't outway just how much of a bum he is at 5 on 5.

Theres nothing wrong with that agenda.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

Do you know how often I've posted these stats? lol

I just dont like players who give up goals at an above average rate on my team that I want to win. Forbort fans want their players to be tall. We are not the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad