2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Eh maybe he doesn’t like the other Boston teams or maybe he doesn’t lump them all in. I don’t know, just lame to tell someone to get lost when they don’t feel winning a cup 8 years ago and losing 2 in 7 years is cause for a celebration, especially when they continue to fail on home ice in the biggest spots.

Life goes on, it’s only sports and I fall somewhere inbetween...it’s been a fun time, some great hockey and some brutal failures
I was probably as upset as I've ever been as a Bruins fan after these past playoffs.

That being said I know you're a Vikings fan too - if you told me that I'd get to see them make the super bowl 3 times in the next decade - win or lose I would take that any day. We've been fortunate that the Bruins have been able to not only do that, but actually win a cup in that time frame too. I personally wouldn't 'celebrate' that they've lost twice but I also understand that we could be at this same point in time still waiting for the Bruins to win their 1st cup since the 70s instead of lamenting that they only won 1 out of 3 this past decade.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I was probably as upset as I've ever been as a Bruins fan after these past playoffs.

That being said I know you're a Vikings fan too - if you told me that I'd get to see them make the super bowl 3 times in the next decade - win or lose I would take that any day. We've been fortunate that the Bruins have been able to not only do that, but actually win a cup in that time frame too. I personally wouldn't 'celebrate' that they've lost twice but I also understand that we could be at this same point in time still waiting for the Bruins to win their 1st cup since the 70s instead of lamenting that they only won 1 out of 3 this past decade.

I honestly can't take another loss in the Super Bowl for the Vikings, 0-4 is enough hah. If you said win one of three in nine years, yes sign me up.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I honestly can't take another loss in the Super Bowl for the Vikings, 0-4 is enough hah. If you said win one of three in nine years, yes sign me up.
I guess that's another difference on these boards. We maybe forget we're all different ages, but I haven't even seen them make it that far yet - I hope they get you (and me) a win sometime soon Lou :laugh:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I guess that's another difference on these boards. We maybe forget we're all different ages, but I haven't even seen them make it that far yet - I hope they get you (and me) a win sometime soon Lou :laugh:

Yeah man, I'm 50 now, so hopefully it's soon! One day I want to walk around with a Vikings Superbowl champion tshirt and overhear someone say "Look at that guy, what a bandwagon fan" hahahaha

Reactions: NDiesel

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

I was a big Vikings fan when I was a kid and lived through all 4 of those losses. I always hoped they’d win one while Bud Grant was still the coach, but that never happened

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
To say they showed up would indicate they were in that game in some way, but no matter how I look at it, I can't figure out the criteria you're using to state it's true. Maybe before the puck dropped? Or before the first goal? They came out flat, and got even more deflated after the first goal. By the time the second goals was scored, that game was over. They showed zero fight. They went down 4-0, ffs. So again, I don't see how you can even reasonably say they showed up or were in that game at virtually any point. They went out with a whimper and it was shameful.

"No show" implies not being prepared and lack of effort. The whole team was a no show? For a Game 7 in the finals? Not even possible.

Not being in the game could be the result of the opponent getting better goaltending, bad breaks, bad execution, guys playing hurt. Or the other team simply playing better.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
giphy.gif

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
"No show" implies not being prepared and lack of effort. The whole team was a no show? For a Game 7 in the finals? Not even possible.

Not being in the game could be the result of the opponent getting better goaltending, bad breaks, bad execution, guys playing hurt. Or the other team simply playing better.

Do you think that game was competitive? That Boston simply got beaten by a hot goalie? Is that really what you're hanging your hat on?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Do you think that game was competitive? That Boston simply got beaten by a hot goalie? Is that really what you're hanging your hat on?

Did you miss the first period?

Was a hot goalie the only thing? No. Was it the biggest thing, in my opinion? Yes. The game was competitive....

You’re trying to point out the absurdity of blaming a “hot goalie” all while implying the team as a whole somehow “did not show up” for what was the biggest game of many (most?) of their lives. As has been pointed out, it’s not even remotely logical.

The Blues are good and they won the game. No one stayed home. Such an overused silly fan cliche.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Got to love it. People thinking their team showed “zero fight” in a game 7 Stanley Cup Final.

Such sensical and smart insight.

Didn’t St. Louis hold Dallas to 2 shots for the combined second and third periods of their game 7? It blows my mind that we still have posters unable to acknowledge the simple fact that we were up against easily the best team in the league from January forward. Not being able to beat them, or not being the better team in game 7, isn’t “no fight”. Such an embarrassment to hear that inevitably leak out every time a team loses a big game.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Blues played a very smart if unscrupulous series in that they read and exploited the mood of the public and the NHL administration very well, and they mostly played to their strengths and within their limitations.

After the wins by the Sox and the Pats, on top of numerous other successes in the last 15 years, most Americans were sick of Boston winning things. Nothing personal or malicious for the most part I think, just that repeat triumphs by the same city quickly grows tiresome unless you're from that city. On top of that, the Bs are still carrying their 'Big Bad Bruins' reputation. Obviously this current team has very little, probably too little, that is either big or bad, but these things tend to stick long after the reality that spawned them has gone. Nothing demonstrated these circumstances better than the blatantly, openly biased coverage of the NBC, which played out virtually without criticism outside of Boston.

These two factors allowed the Blues to play dirty and the heavy, delaying style that suited them, and get the refs on their side, because there was almost no care factor or scrutiny as to how St Louis was taking it to Boston as long as they did it, and little willingness to believe that a team with the past rep of the Bruins would ever be on the rough side of an opponent breaking the rules and getting away with it. The Acciari non-call pushed that blindness right to the edge of breaking point, but didn't quite snap it. Otherwise the Blues used their underdog and 'not Boston' cards very well in closing the talent gap between the two squads, and very few people either twigged or cared that they were taking advantage of them.

For the NHL's part, I honesty don't think they actively wanted the Blues to win, they simply wanted a long and interesting series that would maximise air time and revenue. So they were more than happy to change the refereeing after game 3 when it looked like Boston was on the edge of breaking the series open and finishing it quickly, and aware that they could get away with it for the reasons outlined above, but they were also willing to pull the refs back to neutral after game 5 and help send the series to its ultimate game 7 decider. Again, the egregiousness of the Acciari call probably contributed to this in that they realised that things were going too far, but otherwise in terms of meeting their aims the league played things just about perfectly. Of course they shouldn't be involved in manipulating a series for ANY reason, but it seems pretty clear that in this case they did.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Got to love it. A poster that takes objection to another poster's view but doesn't quote it directly.

Such nonsensical and gutless insight.

What's really embarrassing is the excuse making of saying you ran into a hot goalie or the Blues were a better team but the Bruins did their bestest. That's the real excuse mongering and not accepting the truth in this little thread. The Bruins on paper have way more talent. They have the better roster. The issue is they didn't respond when they needed it the most. STL did. End of story.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Did you miss the first period?

Was a hot goalie the only thing? No. Was it the biggest thing, in my opinion? Yes. The game was competitive....

You’re trying to point out the absurdity of blaming a “hot goalie” all while implying the team as a whole somehow “did not show up” for what was the biggest game of many (most?) of their lives. As has been pointed out, it’s not even remotely logical.

The Blues are good and they won the game. No one stayed home. Such an overused silly fan cliche.

So games are 2o minutes long now? And even if you say they came out hard in the first, at the end of that period, they were down 2-0 and that game was OVER. The Bruins rolled over and accepted it. Sucks to hear, but that's just reality. They didn't go down with a fight, they went down with a whimper.

And despite the brainwashing of fans by Claude, sometimes you can lose a game without running into a hot goalie. In this case, they were simply out played and gave up, Binnington aside.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
So games are 2o minutes long now? And even if you say they came out hard in the first, at the end of that period, they were down 2-0 and that game was OVER. The Bruins rolled over and accepted it. Sucks to hear, but that's just reality. They didn't go down with a fight, they went down with a whimper.

And despite the brainwashing of fans by Claude, sometimes you can lose a game without running into a hot goalie. In this case, they were simply out played and gave up, Binnington aside.

Yeah, trust me...Claude did not brainwash me.

Thank God you have anointed yourself the voice of ‘reality’. I’ve been searching for that for years on this board.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Where 18 minutes of dominant, hard playing, no goal scoring hockey in a do or die game 7 on home ice is acceptable or a very good effort.... it's called Bruins fans.

How did they ever recover from being down 2-0 in game 1 to win?

Blues stomped out their will game 7 after getting up by 2. Much like Boston did to Vancouver. It happens.

Reactions: Lo97, BMC and LSCII

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The Blues played a very smart if unscrupulous series in that they read and exploited the mood of the public and the NHL administration very well, and they mostly played to their strengths and within their limitations.

After the wins by the Sox and the Pats, on top of numerous other successes in the last 15 years, most Americans were sick of Boston winning things. Nothing personal or malicious for the most part I think, just that repeat triumphs by the same city quickly grows tiresome unless you're from that city. On top of that, the Bs are still carrying their 'Big Bad Bruins' reputation. Obviously this current team has very little, probably too little, that is either big or bad, but these things tend to stick long after the reality that spawned them has gone. Nothing demonstrated these circumstances better than the blatantly, openly biased coverage of the NBC, which played out virtually without criticism outside of Boston.

These two factors allowed the Blues to play dirty and the heavy, delaying style that suited them, and get the refs on their side, because there was almost no care factor or scrutiny as to how St Louis was taking it to Boston as long as they did it, and little willingness to believe that a team with the past rep of the Bruins would ever be on the rough side of an opponent breaking the rules and getting away with it. The Acciari non-call pushed that blindness right to the edge of breaking point, but didn't quite snap it. Otherwise the Blues used their underdog and 'not Boston' cards very well in closing the talent gap between the two squads, and very few people either twigged or cared that they were taking advantage of them.

For the NHL's part, I honesty don't think they actively wanted the Blues to win, they simply wanted a long and interesting series that would maximise air time and revenue. So they were more than happy to change the refereeing after game 3 when it looked like Boston was on the edge of breaking the series open and finishing it quickly, and aware that they could get away with it for the reasons outlined above, but they were also willing to pull the refs back to neutral after game 5 and help send the series to its ultimate game 7 decider. Again, the egregiousness of the Acciari call probably contributed to this in that they realised that things were going too far, but otherwise in terms of meeting their aims the league played things just about perfectly. Of course they shouldn't be involved in manipulating a series for ANY reason, but it seems pretty clear that in this case they did.

Reminded my exactly of the 2011 Cup finals.

Reactions: LSCII

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Thank God you have anointed yourself the voice of ‘reality’. I’ve been searching for that for years on this board.

You want to hear the voice of reality? Read Aussie Bruins post just a few above this one. That's what really happened, I've said the same things but not quite as structured, comprehensive and eloquently as he/she has.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Larry Robinson On Torey Krug: “We Had Guys Running At Him And He Was Shying Away”
Webp.net-resizeimage-8.jpg

In the aftermath of their seven-game series loss to the St. Louis Blues in the 2019 Stanley Cup Final, the Boston Bruins were a bruised and battered bunch and resembled a M*A*S*H unit more than a hockey team. The Blues gigantic blue line, overall team size and forecheck were clearly major factors in their Stanley Cup win and in an interview on ‘The Montreal Forum’ on TSN 690, Tuesday, St. Louis Blues Senior Consultant to Hockey Operations and now ten-time Stanley Cup champion Larry Robinson gave some insight as to how the Blues wore down the smaller Bruins defense.
“I think if you’ve got a bunch of small forwards or a bunch of small defensemen, sooner or later, you’re going to get worn down,” he said. “Krug may be the only small guy around that can seem to take a pounding and can still play, but even him, after a while, we had guys running at him and he was shying away from the corners because he didn’t want to get hit. I mean you don’t have to be brave in there as well. If you’re going to go in there and get hammered, that’s a little bit stupid on your part as well. So definitely if you’ve got a heavy team, it’s a big plus when it comes to playoff time.”

Larry Robinson On Torey Krug: "We Had Guys Running At Him And He Was Shying Away" | Boston Hockey Now

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Larry Robinson On Torey Krug: “We Had Guys Running At Him And He Was Shying Away”

In the aftermath of their seven-game series loss to the St. Louis Blues in the 2019 Stanley Cup Final, the Boston Bruins were a bruised and battered bunch and resembled a M*A*S*H unit more than a hockey team. The Blues gigantic blue line, overall team size and forecheck were clearly major factors in their Stanley Cup win and in an interview on ‘The Montreal Forum’ on TSN 690, Tuesday, St. Louis Blues Senior Consultant to Hockey Operations and now ten-time Stanley Cup champion Larry Robinson gave some insight as to how the Blues wore down the smaller Bruins defense.
“I think if you’ve got a bunch of small forwards or a bunch of small defensemen, sooner or later, you’re going to get worn down,” he said. “Krug may be the only small guy around that can seem to take a pounding and can still play, but even him, after a while, we had guys running at him and he was shying away from the corners because he didn’t want to get hit. I mean you don’t have to be brave in there as well. If you’re going to go in there and get hammered, that’s a little bit stupid on your part as well. So definitely if you’ve got a heavy team, it’s a big plus when it comes to playoff time.”

That's total bullshit. I didn't see Krug shy away once. There were Bruins who shied away but Krug wasn't one of them. That's a better sound bite and makes himself sound a whole lot smarter than saying what really happened.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's total bull****. I didn't see Krug shy away once. There were Bruins who shied away but Krug wasn't one of them. That's a better sound bite and makes himself sound a whole lot smarter than saying what really happened.

Hell be at playground poker on August 26 with Guy Lafleur . You might be able to debate the 10 time cup winner there.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Larry Robinson On Torey Krug: "We Had Guys Running At Him And He Was Shying Away" | Boston Hockey Now

Exactly what @Fenian24 @Sheppy and @Colt.45Orr have been saying for years.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I haven't anointed myself the voice of anything other than what I see. You don't want to hear it and think they played hard? Good for you. Doesn't change the fact that they rolled over after falling down by 2. Doesn't make it a more palatable loss. Doesn't make the season end on a positive. There are no moral victories. Either you win it or you don't. In this case, they didn't want it enough to lay it all on the line, but STL did. Give those guys full credit. They outplayed and earned it, while Boston kept looking to the refs to give them a pp so they could have a chance to score. Hockey is won 5 on 5 and when you rely on special teams too much and can't generate goals at even strength, you lose.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad