GDT: Game #7| Jan. 29, 2013|Flyers at Rangers |7:00 p.m. ET

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Lets be honest only guys showing up for us night in night out of every game so far this year: Bryz,Grossmann, Luke Schenn, ?????????
This team needs a shake up of some sort. I personally really liked McGinn in the lineup. Dressing Sestito and Rinaldo is kind of pointless. But it goes without saying that B.Schenn,Giroux,Voracek need to get going. Without those 3 contributing we are a terrible team.

Victory5

Apr 12, 2011
I just feel like the guys dont really know who they are or how they are supposed to play.

Tampa Bay has an identity

The Rags have an identity

We have turnovers and bad special teams

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
bryz and timmonen are

our best guys at this point. grossman is stepping in when the other teams wants to go after our boys. and he is shooting the puck. pleased with him. luke schenn is another guy that is fitting in nicely. brayden schenn, yah at least he is hitting guys.giroux was sloppy, trying to do too much.when he is perfect he can move mountains, when he is not, bryz saves his bacon. voracek, not too worried. he was a slow starter when we first got him. and if he is injured, he will be fine. he will get his game on.

Victory5

Apr 12, 2011
LOL.. Flyers fans turning on a young captain already.. (again)..

what a joke.

I love giroux as much as the next guy. Hell, I followed him back in the Q before he was even with us, and then watched him rise up.

I love his intensity and how he plays, but I dont think he should be the captain. Hes our best player and our greatest offensive threat, throw the C on Kimmo or someone else. Let G do what he does best.

If you actually watched hockey you'll realize that not every young captain works out, the richards fiasco should be fresh in everyones minds....but we want to ruin Giroux too?

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
I love giroux as much as the next guy. Hell, I followed him back in the Q before he was even with us, and then watched him rise up.

I love his intensity and how he plays, but I dont think he should be the captain. Hes our best player and our greatest offensive threat, throw the C on Kimmo or someone else. Let G do what he does best.

If you actually watched hockey you'll realize that not every young captain works out, the richards fiasco should be fresh in everyones minds....but we want to ruin Giroux too?

This is all true.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
LOL.. Flyers fans turning on a young captain already.. (again)..

what a joke.

Not turning on anyone. But this team right now does lack a vocal leader. 2 words would fix our problem, Chris Pronger. He would not put up with half the crap the guys are doing. Turnovers,uninspired hockey,brainless decision making. Prongs voice would be heard loud and clear. We don't have a menacing guy to rally the troops.

Edit: I am completely aware Chris is done lol. I'm just making a point that we need a vocal leader.

Victory5

Apr 12, 2011
Not turning on anyone. But this team right now does lack a vocal leader. 2 words would fix our problem, Chris Pronger. He would not put up with half the crap the guys are doing. Turnovers,uninspired hockey,brainless decision making. Prongs voice would be heard loud and clear. We don't have a menacing guy to rally the troops.

Edit: I am completely aware Chris is done lol. I'm just making a point that we need a vocal leader.

Agree 100%. Pronger is a once in a generation leader and we miss him a lot. I honestly believe that with pronger on our team last year we could have gone to the cup again.

I mean, is it any coincidence that it seemed like every team he was on went to the cup?

Went to Edmonton, they got to the cup as the 8th seed
Went to Anaheim, they finally get over the hump and win
Went to Philly, we get our stuff straightened out and come 2 games away from winning it all

BernieTheGreat1

Sharp, Pointy Teeth
Jul 24, 2011
Camelot
first thing that needs to be done... get Voracek off the point on the powerplay. Stupid idea to begin with and he is useless up there.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Seriously though, we have 3 players that have been consistently good...Grossman, L. Schenn, and Bryz. You wont win games when only three players are playing good.

Primary Assist*

Just like Richards, this team like to ruin their young players by slapping a C on them way too fast.

What's so young about giving the "C" to a 25 year old? It's NOT that tender of an age to be appointed captain. Bobby Clarke was 22 when he was named captain, as was Eric Lindros. Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews were both 21 when they got the call, for Pete's sake.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
What's so young about giving the "C" to a 25 year old? It's NOT that tender of an age to be appointed captain. Bobby Clarke was 22 when he was named captain, as was Eric Lindros. Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews were both 21 when they got the call, for Pete's sake.
Everyone handles the pressure differently. Giroux can say he feels no pressure and he's not gonna change his game at all. The reality is he probably feels a boat load of pressure. When you play in a hockey market like Philadelphia there is expectations to be a good team and challenge for the cup every year.
This team is playing poorly and Giroux is clearly shook up. Giroux is a young guy surrounded by younger guys. Toews and Crosby were young guys surrounded by veterans and proven performers.
Point is not all people handle pressure the same way.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Pronger's voice wouldn't make up for the lack of talent.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Pronger's voice wouldn't make up for the lack of talent.

Pronger in the lineup would fix everything. Arguably one of the best quarterbacks on the PP. Will make his voice heard when the teams playing like crap. Gives us a Bonafide number 1 d man. Not to mention Prongs had a rare ability to completely slow the game down and play at his own pace.
And just for fun look at this teams defense if Prongs was in the lineup :
Pronger Schenn
Timonen Coburn
Mesz Grossmann

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Everyone handles the pressure differently. Giroux can say he feels no pressure and he's not gonna change his game at all. The reality is he probably feels a boat load of pressure. When you play in a hockey market like Philadelphia there is expectations to be a good team and challenge for the cup every year.
This team is playing poorly and Giroux is clearly shook up. Giroux is a young guy surrounded by younger guys. Toews and Crosby were young guys surrounded by veterans and proven performers.
Point is not all people handle pressure the same way.

It's one thing to be captain of a team that's in the thick of things and do the "lead by example" thing, which Giroux is perfectly capable of. It's another to be wearing the C when things are as bad as they are right now and vocal leadership is required in the dressing room. Plus, there is the tendency to try to do too much on the ice, which just buggers everything up more.

I'm not saying Giroux can't be, or isn't, a good leader. He's just in a very difficult situation right now. Hopefully, Timonen and Briere are standing by his side - literally - right now trying to calm things down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad