GDT: Game #7| Jan. 29, 2013|Flyers at Rangers |7:00 p.m. ET

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
This team has a striking resemblance to the 2006-2007 team. They're relying too much on unproven sophomores, have an offensively underwhelming defense, and they have superstar with no supporting cast. Hopefully they can trade for a Timonen and Hartnell in the offseason and sign a Briere.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Pronger in the lineup would fix everything. Arguably one of the best quarterbacks on the PP. Will make his voice heard when the teams playing like crap. Gives us a Bonafide number 1 d man. Not to mention Prongs had a rare ability to completely slow the game down and play at his own pace.
And just for fun look at this teams defense if Prongs was in the lineup :
Pronger Schenn
Timonen Coburn
Mesz Grossmann

Yes, the Chris Pronger that we initially traded for. But not 38 year old slowed down injury prone Pronger that we would likely dress now if that stick to the face would not have happened.
Same with Kimmo: an organization can't build their team on aging Vets on expiring contracts.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
2 things that are giving me some hope:
1. We play some horrible teams at home coming up.
2. The rest of the Atlantic division is struggling.

Mhhm, which one do you like best: struggling Caps that are looking to break out? Or Tampa coming back in the third game?

There are no easy games for a team like the Flyers are right now :(

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Mhhm, which one do you like best: struggling Caps that are looking to break out? Or Tampa coming back in the third game?

There are no easy games for a team like the Flyers are right now :(

I probably shouldn't have used the word horrible. But there are some winnable games coming up on the schedule. I was just trying look at things in a positive way I guess.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
Just like Richards, this team like to ruin their young players by slapping a C on them way too fast.

This team is "ruining" our young captain, as you say, not by making him captain but by not supporting him with talent capable enough to play with him. Simmonds (I was not on board with everyone in the media who was saying his first week of the season was great) and Read are not first line players. Giroux isn't ruined; he'll be fine, just need to get good support around him.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
There is one problem that this team can fix immediately. Lack of scoring! We don't score because we dont shoot! This has been an ongoing problem now for a while. The constant pass, pass, pass looking for the perfect shot or to get the goalie moving is resulting in excessive lost opportunities. We had a 5 on 3 last night and only fired one shot at the goalie. This happens not just on power plays, but constantly. I'm tired of the excuse that the other team plays tight defense. If you throw the puck at the net things happen, You know like deflections, rebounds, scrums around the net. When we make ten passes it never fails that someone muffs the pass or it gets deflected. SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, and good things will happen.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There is one problem that this team can fix immediately. Lack of scoring! We don't score because we dont shoot! This has been an ongoing problem now for a while. The constant pass, pass, pass looking for the perfect shot or to get the goalie moving is resulting in excessive lost opportunities. We had a 5 on 3 last night and only fired one shot at the goalie. This happens not just on power plays, but constantly. I'm tired of the excuse that the other team plays tight defense. If you throw the puck at the net things happen, You know like deflections, rebounds, scrums around the net. When we make ten passes it never fails that someone muffs the pass or it gets deflected. SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, and good things will happen.

The Flyers are right in the middle of the league in 5v5 Corsi For and Fenwick For, so that's not necessarily the issue. They're better than Chicago right now in both, and they haven't lost a game yet.

The real difference in the team's fortunes so far is that their penalty kill is brutal. So brutal that it can't stay that way.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Special teams have been especially brutal.....it's definitely a big issue. Moreover, their inability to win faceoffs and establish their game with puck possession is also a major problem. It was really pronounced last night where they got totally trounced in the faceoff circle. They have tons of things to work on which requires practice and time. Lavi giving them off from practice to not tire the team while understandable I think is a miscalc. He doesn't have to make them skate their butts off ...he can however have a light skate with concentration on hockey basics and special teams play. They have a bit of breathing room now with the sked so we'll see how they prepare and respond..

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
how many years have we had the need for a good face off guy. Its been a huge problem for far too long. The Flyers get a PP, lose the faceoff and the puck gets dumped down. Not only killing time, but giving the opposition plenty of time to get their PKers out there and get set up.
Of course the PK is more about personel then anything.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Right on all the above, but they are not firing the puck when they get the chance. This pass first mentality means less shots and less shots equal less goals. Especially on the PP when you have the team outnumbered, the pretty goals make highlight reels but they don't win games. I've lost count on the opportunities they have a shot on goal and choose to pass. Shots mean rebounds, scrums, deflections.the dirty goals that go in. We're trying to play a skill game without the skill. Shoot the puck and go to the net hard. I realize guys like Kimo don't have a booming shot, but at least get it toward the goalie, he threw a ton of bad passes last night.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Lundqvist is probably in their heads, and not without reason. When they were firing shots he made all the saves look easy. They almost always look like they're trying too hard to beat Lundqvist with some perfect play, because routine plays don't work against him for the Flyers. When was the last time the Flyers scored more than 2 goals on him? It feels like forever.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This iteration of the Flyers has scored 3 goals on the Rangers once. For a team that was used to scoring lots on anybody, routinely getting held to 2 or less goals has to get in their heads. This year, they still can't beat Lundqvist. They need to face him when he's off for a night to light him up and dispel his myth.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lundqvist is probably in their heads, and not without reason. When they were firing shots he made all the saves look easy. They almost always look like they're trying too hard to beat Lundqvist with some perfect play, because routine plays don't work against him for the Flyers. When was the last time the Flyers scored more than 2 goals on him? It feels like forever.

Preseason last year maybe? Haha

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
how many years have we had the need for a good face off guy. Its been a huge problem for far too long. The Flyers get a PP, lose the faceoff and the puck gets dumped down. Not only killing time, but giving the opposition plenty of time to get their PKers out there and get set up.
Of course the PK is more about personel then anything.

Handzus intrigued me for that sole reason when he was available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad