Game 7: Ducks 7 - Kings whatever

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Wow, some of you are talking like there isn't 41 games left in the season.

Adjustments will be made, relax everyone.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Time to start trade rumours.

Normally I would think it's far to early to start the trade stuff, but I'm willing to make an exception for Penner. I didn't want him back in the first place and his 100% lack of effort belongs nowhere on this team. Besides, a trade might be the kind of shake-up this team needs to get them focused again and Penner should totally be the sacrificial lamb. I firmly believe this team will turn it around, but am positive Penner won't, at least not here.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
To clarify on Mitchell for those that missed it, I believe the issue is inflammation/swelling of the knee and most likely still a bit of discomfort. I miss Mitchie so ****ing bad. If we lost Scuds and Greene, I wouldn't have been nearly as worried and my concerns have been validated - WE NEED WILLIE!

KingKopitar11*

shake the team up...........

right now King-Stoll-and whoever is a waste.

Call up Loktionov and Toffoli and give them some NHL taste for 2-3 games

Brown - Kpitar - Toffoli
Gagne - Richards - Carter
Penner - Loktionov - Williams
Clifford - Lewis - Nolan

this is what i wanna see.
Playmaker and guys going for the goal
4th line is lightning fast and tpough to handle for opponent offensive lines

I mean it can't be worse than right now

I completely agree but Penner has to go too.

Replace Penner with Pearson or someone else. That'd be pretty good. It sure as hell looks like a more solid talented group then it does now. Maybe vey left wing or something else but Penner has to go but that's a solid line up. Snipers playmakers 2 things the kings really need.

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
Stoll will be suspended. This season is to short.

Kopi? I did not like his game in Sweden.. alot of passing, always seems to skip the shot. I thought it would get back to normal when back with the Kings but it hasn't. He had a couple of chances of onetimers on the PP's, just snap it not the Doughty shot but no he will rather pass it.

He has been a big dissapointment sofar.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Missed the game but I'm glad they at least scored some goals. Better than those 3-1/2-1/1-0 losses from last season, when they could hardly score a goal. It wasnt much better this season.

What really worries me, is the fact that people are saying the Kings are missing Mitchell so much. Of course they do but Willie is not that young anymore. Soon Willy will not be playing hockey anymore, than the Kings have to do without him as well.

The roster looks good and Mitchell should not be such a big factor.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
What really worries me, is the fact that people are saying the Kings are missing Mitchell so much. Of course they do but Willie is not that young anymore. Soon Willy will not be playing hockey anymore, than the Kings have to do without him as well.

The roster looks good and Mitchell should not be such a big factor.

It is concerning that Mitchell could mean that much to the team. On the other hand, when your #3, 4, 5 and 6th defensemen have a combined 313 regular season games under their belt... that can lead to problems as well. In comparison, Drew has played 323 regular season games.

I think Mitchell (and Greene) being out compounds the problem. Not only is the team missing 2 quality defensemen, but the players that replace them are far below their quality. It also forces Sutter to make pairings that are less than ideal. Voynov and Mitchell are pretty good. Greene and Martinez are pretty good. Voynov and Martinez together is a border line disaster. Drewiske and Muzzin are just as bad.

Last edited:

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I don't know if it's the Stanley Cup or the lockout, probably a combination of both, but I don't even care when they lose. It's a blessing and a curse, probably more of a blessing right now.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I didn't see the last 2 games but it seems like gagne reacted well to being scratched while Penner didn't. I wish they'd put Gagne on Richards and Carter's line, he's earned it and they have chemistry.

Last edited:

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
Just to think this game put a slight damper on my 40th anniversary of being a Kings fan... My first game was also a loss (to the Habs) and Larry Robinson scoring his first NHL goal...

Of course...despite what that lying piece of plastic in my wallet says...I'm STILL 39...

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It is concerning that Mitchell could mean that much to the team. On the other hand, when your #3, 4, 5 and 6th defensemen have a combined 313 regular season games under their belt... that can lead to problems as well. In comparison, Drew has played 323 regular season games.

I think Mitchell (and Greene) being out compounds the problem. Not only is the team missing 2 quality defensemen, but the players that replace them are far below their quality. It also forces Sutter to make pairings that are less than ideal. Voynov and Mitchell are pretty good. Greene and Martinez are pretty good. Voynov and Martinez together is a border line disaster. Drewiske and Muzzin are just as bad.
Yes, but you still have a good top 6 (forwards) and an excellent goalie. Missing both Greene and Mitchell hurts but there's more to it.

I keep saying this for a long time already, the Kings do not get any offense from the bottom lines. So now and then you need offense from there, and not only energy/toughness/defensive awareness whatever. Clifford, Lewis, Fraser, Richardson, Nolan, King, Stoll and the whole bunch = zero offense. Now both Mitchel and Greene are out, the Kings can't rely on their defense anymore. Whiskey and Muzzin are nice stop gaps when you are able to net a few goals each game.

Players like Kopitar, Richards, Gagne, Carter, Brown, Williams must provide offense but when a few of them are playing crap, than you dont have to expect any offense from the 3rd or 4th line either.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Willie Mitchell had a setback, that's the only thing that would make sense. I don't care how well Drewiske is playing, Voynov-Martinez can't be together, they're too inexperienced as a pairing. Lombardi needs to bring a in veteran to help those guys

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Gagne has cleanly beaten Penner for a spot on a scoring line, it would seem. Survival of the fittest, and Penner ain't that.

Silver lining, amirite?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yes, but you still have a good top 6 (forwards) and an excellent goalie. Missing both Greene and Mitchell hurts but there's more to it.

I keep saying this for a long time already, the Kings do not get any offense from the bottom lines. So now and then you need offense from there, and not only energy/toughness/defensive awareness whatever. Clifford, Lewis, Fraser, Richardson, Nolan, King, Stoll and the whole bunch = zero offense. Now both Mitchel and Greene are out, the Kings can't rely on their defense anymore. Whiskey and Muzzin are nice stop gaps when you are able to net a few goals each game.

Players like Kopitar, Richards, Gagne, Carter, Brown, Williams must provide offense but when a few of them are playing crap, than you dont have to expect any offense from the 3rd or 4th line either.

Clifford is the leading scorer on the team, and he & Nolan have more points combined than Carter & Richards. It would certainly be nice to get more offense from the bottom six, but that is far from the team's biggest problem right now...

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Gagne has cleanly beaten Penner for a spot on a scoring line, it would seem. Survival of the fittest, and Penner ain't that.

Silver lining, amirite?
It may be time to waive Penner. A stint in Manchester might work. He's only signed for this season, right?

KingKopitar11*

I didn't see the last 2 games but it seems like gagne reacted well to being scratched while Penner didn't. I wish they'd put Penner on Richards and Carter's line, he's earned it and they have chemistry.

Penner was playing terrible, Richards had an okay game but he's getting better, putting Penner with them would of been a set back imo.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
This is when it's a blessing to have not watched a game. I'm sure we'll be saying something completely different in the next PGT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad