Game 7: Ducks 7 - Kings whatever

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Waive Penner rather than Stoll.

Well they are both playing like they have played almost their entire tenures with the Kings. If the Kings get a few points less last season both are playing elsewhere and probably making alot less money.

I was on board for both getting one year deals as a reward, but even now the Penner contract looks awful and the Kings can part ways with him after the season, seems we are stuck with Stoll for a long time, if Ricci is DL's all time favorite player, Stoll can't be far behind.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
When it comes to playoffs, I'd take Penner over Gagne in a heartbeat...

I wouldn't. He was fantastic in Philly in 2010's playoffs after he and Carter came back after breaking their feet. Plus, he doesn't have to be babysat and is strong defensively.

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
Well they are both playing like they have played almost their entire tenures with the Kings. If the Kings get a few points less last season both are playing elsewhere and probably making alot less money.

I was on board for both getting one year deals as a reward, but even now the Penner contract looks awful and the Kings can part ways with him after the season, seems we are stuck with Stoll for a long time, if Ricci is DL's all time favorite player, Stoll can't be far behind.
The only thing is Stool is playing worse than Ricci looks...

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
When it comes to playoffs, I'd take Penner over Gagne in a heartbeat...

Not me, Gagne's a much more skilled player, faster, better defensively , a good PK'er if you needit. He's usually a money player in the playoffs, was great in the 2010 playoffs and had huge clutch goals. Came back from injury in game 4vs Boston when the Flyers were down 0-3 and got the GWG in OT, also GWG in game 7 and 2 goals in game 5.

In the 2011 playoffs wit hthe TB Lightning he was one of the best players on the ice, in all 3 zones, and had 12 points in 15 games.

If Gagne stays healthy and Sutter keeps him where he belongs with Richards , he's a threat to score and can defend his zone. And he's very fast, he can fly when you headman him the puck

Captain Mittens*

The only thing is Stool is playing worse than Ricci looks...

image.php

Donkey King?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'd take Gagne seven days a week over Penner. Gagne plays with passion, is a playoff veteran, has chemistry with Richards and Carter and will still contribute points. Penner doesn't have any of those.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
And he was the cornerstone player on both teams! :sarcasm:

Maybe not but he had one of the clutchest goals in LA Kings history. Who knows what happens to last years run if he doesn't bury that series clinching shot.

I'm not saying Penner shouldn't be dealt with but let's call a spade a spade. His value in last years playoff was pretty high.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
As of noon Tuesday, 2/5/13, the mathematical projections have Edmonton taking the #8 spot with 53 points for the season. So, the Kings need 54 total to knock them out, meaning a record of 24-17 from here out (a percentage of .585).

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
For the record, if this team is still hovering close to a .500 points percentage with 24 games played, THEN I'll become worried. This EXACT same squad has proven they can go on streaks in which they're absolutely unbeatable.

It's taking a while to clear the cobwebs and refocus after a legendary Cup run and the team has still picked up points in 4 out of 7 games. Some of you guys are overreacting to the max.

DeeMeck

Jan 19, 2008
Kind of missing Westgarth right now. He would provide a much needed spark.

I really do think the issue lies in the lack of size, grit, and general nastiness of our defense. The current group outside of Scuds and Doughty are just not getting it done in front of the net. When Quick leaves a rebound, Mitchell and Greene are great at getting to a loose puck by knocking someone on their ass and clearing away the danger. Mitchell and Greene also excel at clearing out shooting lanes. Quick is dealing with more traffic than normal because our current bottom 4 couldn't clear Justin Azevedo out of a shooting lane.

We are just undersized right now and it needs to be addressed sooner than later.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kind of missing Westgarth right now. He would provide a much needed spark.

I really do think the issue lies in the lack of size, grit, and general nastiness of our defense. The current group outside of Scuds and Doughty are just not getting it done in front of the net. When Quick leaves a rebound, Mitchell and Greene are great at getting to a loose puck by knocking someone on their ass and clearing away the danger. Mitchell and Greene also excel at clearing out shooting lanes. Quick is dealing with more traffic than normal because our current bottom 4 couldn't clear Justin Azevedo out of a shooting lane.

We are just undersized right now and it needs to be addressed sooner than later.

I thought the kIngs were one of the biggest teams in the league. Maybe we are not undersized but maybe playing smaller than what we are.
Plus when you look at teams like the Habs they are small and getting it done. I think it is more about the players sacking up and getting it going.

DeeMeck

Jan 19, 2008
I thought the kIngs were one of the biggest teams in the league. Maybe we are not undersized but maybe playing smaller than what we are.
Plus when you look at teams like the Habs they are small and getting it done. I think it is more about the players sacking up and getting it going.

Undersized on defense.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
As of noon Tuesday, 2/5/13, the mathematical projections have Edmonton taking the #8 spot with 53 points for the season. So, the Kings need 54 total to knock them out, meaning a record of 24-17 from here out (a percentage of .585).

Sounds about right, although 54 may be a tad high. I was looking at 94-95's final season standings and it was surprisingly low. http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=19941995&type=con#&navid=nav-stn-conf

Granted you have to add in an extra 8-10 points to each team for shootout wins, but that still would mean ~52 points would be enough for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad