Game 7: Ducks 7 - Kings whatever

Jun 30, 2006
Both goalies were hung out to dry by the defense. This was the worst game I've seen out of Doughty, Martinez, Muzzin, Scuds looked injured and slow. Just absolute garbage from those guys.

Also if the standard is that we're trading goalies because they "don't care" then Quick needs to go too. That's three games in a row he's given up goals early in the period. He got nice fat contract and looks content out there. Everyone needs to wake the **** up. Beginning to look like the Kings were a fluke team last year.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
@mayorNHL

#LAKings Stoll on #NHLducks Fowler hit: 'Was trying 2carry him in, not go full bore...didn't want 2push him in, that's why I grabbed jersey'

Shanny gonna have a look at that.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Always hate losing to the Ducks, but come on, this game was a fluke. NICK BANINO had a hat trick.

I don't even fault Quick/Bernier either, it was just one of those nights.

In fact, I think there was a lot of positives to take out of this game:
-Doughty is the best defenseman in the NHL right now.
-Richards keeps getting better and better. He made a lot of good plays tonight.
-The PP is moving the puck better.
-Brown and Williams are playing better.

This was a game where we really could have used Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene.

bobafettish*

i just hope DL is faster to pull the trigger whether it be ahl callups or trade.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Also if the standard is that we're trading goalies because they "don't care" then Quick needs to go too. That's three games in a row he's given up goals early in the period. He got nice fat contract and looks content out there.
This is one of the stupidest comments I've read on HF in a long time. If you think Quick doesn't care you need to have your head examined.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
This was a game where we really could have used Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene.

In one of the post game comments it was noted that Mitchell hasn't skated in over a week. That's not good.
Initially I think DL was waiting to see if Mitchell would return as earlyas this road trip, but given how shakey the D , esp on PK , looked tonight, maybe he can't afford to wait much longer.
And how much he'll have to give up to a team who knows how badly LA (among othe teams) needs a D man...

The Mayor John Hoven‏@mayorNHL

Overall mood in the #LAKings room was way, way down. Much more than almost any regular season loss last season that comes to mind.

Maybe that's a good thing, getting your butt handed to you will be a wake up call. Good time to go on the road, no distractions.
And Sutter needs to work them hard in practice.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
By far, I would say that Penner is one of the worst skaters the Kings have ever iced, along the likes of Steve McKenna and Charlie Huddy. Penner takes wide turns that take him a while to catch up to the play, he slips and falls when he attempts quick turns, and he is always losing his balance on board battles. It's like watching Bambi on ice.

RonSwanson*

Positives:
Richards and Gagne had strong games. Creating turnovers, hard on the puck, smart passing, that is what the Kings need out of that.
Doughty was solid again, hitting, jumping appropriately, solid game
PP starting to click, looked real good all game

Negatives:
Penner. Wow.
4th line gotten eaten alive. Never been a Fraser fan, he was not good tonight at all.
Martinez and Muzzin were brutal. Bad plays all over the ice, that was just terrible.
Goaltending was bad from both guys.
PK sucked.

It was a tough loss, but not the end of the world.

People keep saying this but what exactly did they do to warrant such praise? Gagne still has zero pts. Richards' strength on the PK led to how many PP goals for the Ducks? I just don;t think they were that good. No one was tonight.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Well... It looks like I picked the perfect game to miss... Yikes. Hopefully Sutter makes some real changes.

@mayorNHL

Shanny gonna have a look at that.

Haven't seen it yet, but Stoll has developed a history of it, he might get some extra games if it is bad.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
People keep saying this but what exactly did they do to warrant such praise? Gagne still has zero pts. Richards' strength on the PK led to how many PP goals for the Ducks? I just don;t think they were that good. No one was tonight.

I wont defend richards but gagne was a + 2 with 2 assists in close to 13 mins of ice time and i thought he played a decent two way game.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010

You can't just look at the box score. Richards had his best game -- by far -- of the season tonight. He was aggressive on both ends of the ice, and he had a sweet takeaway that almost resulted in a goal.

Gagne was making plays out there, too.

RonSwanson*

I wont defend richards but gagne was a + 2 with 2 assists in close to 13 mins of ice time and i thought he played a decent two way game.

I was gonna comment on how I thought he was invisible tonight, and the 13 minutes played thing kinda helps to explain it.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
You can't just look at the box score. Richards had his best game -- by far -- of the season tonight. He was aggressive on both ends of the ice, and he had a sweet takeaway that almost resulted in a goal.

Gagne was making plays out there, too.

Exactly. Mike actually looked alive for once this season. Ok, Gagne hasn't put up any goals but at least he was a plus player; had two assists. Not to mention that he doesn't look offensively inept like a lot of the players on the team look right now.

Can I also get on the "What the **** Dustin Penner?" bandwagon? He was beyond atrocious tonight. Lazy skating and forechecking and the guy can't handle a pass to save his life.

On a side note, hey everybody. I'm the new guy here.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
shake the team up...........

right now King-Stoll-and whoever is a waste.

Call up Loktionov and Toffoli and give them some NHL taste for 2-3 games

Brown - Kpitar - Toffoli
Gagne - Richards - Carter
Penner - Loktionov - Williams
Clifford - Lewis - Nolan

this is what i wanna see.
Playmaker and guys going for the goal
4th line is lightning fast and tpough to handle for opponent offensive lines

I mean it can't be worse than right now

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood

Brown - Kpitar - Toffoli
Clifford - Lewis - Nolan

That's not bad, but I'd still put J-Dubs up on the first line. He looked pretty good tonight and his game's slowly been improving over the past 2 or 3 games.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The Good:

- Richards probably had his best game of the season tonight.
- Gagne looks like he's really coming into form.
- Doughty has been great.
- Brown is scoring.
- Voynov has been fantastic this year. Looks like a completely different player, defensively.

The Bad:

- Kopitar is clearly not 100%. He's taking lazy hooking and interference penalties for the first time in his career. He's losing puck battles he almost always wins. The guy is nursing a bum knee and it's plain as day.
- Lombardi is looking a little selfish with the Bernier situation at this point. Kid has fallen in and marched on for years now behind Quick. He's not a reliable back up any longer. Not excusing his play tonight - he was awful. But come on.
- Defense and PK really missed Greene and Mitchell tonight. Muzzin was rook-city out there.

The Ugly:

- Dustin Penner. 'Nuff said.
- Some won't like this, but coaching. Sutter got caught with his pants down more than once tonight. I understand you're at a disadvantage on the road with the last change, but the fourth line got badly exposed with matchups all night. Coaching. Pulling Quick after some admittedly weak goals, I guess, I dunno. Right call? Maybe. But you should have your finger on the pulse of the team and your backup was clearly out to lunch. Coaching. Lastly, it's clear where your talent lies in your forward corps. Stop with the effort rewarding promotions, stop with the Penner experiment, stop with the random line juggling that results in totally mismatched combos. You have a top six: Brown-Kopitar-Williams, Gagne-Richards-Carter. Use them. Stop screwing around, please.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
I'm guessing it wasn't a very good game? For some reason, I remain in a positive attitude. I think the Kings will turn it around soon. They have to. It's probably a good thing I didn't watch.

bobafettish*

he hasnt even been that bad but stoll needs to go, 3 million for a 3c is just stupid.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Muzzin is a tough case for me.

He is holding his own in my opinion, he really needs to start playing more minutes than 12, but he's doing well with his time. When Martinez and Voynov came up to join the team they had the luxury of pairing with Greene and Mitchell respectively. Muzzin is paired up with Drewiske, and all credit to Davis but he is no Mitchell or Greene. There is no real safety net for Muzzin, no veteran presence on his line. Those things make a huge difference.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
- Lombardi is looking a little selfish with the Bernier situation at this point. Kid has fallen in and marched on for years now behind Quick. He's not a reliable back up any longer. Not excusing his play tonight - he was awful. But come on.

Not sure what you're saying here. Lombardi is waiting for a good offer, and he is also not ready to deal his only other NHL capable goaltender after his starter had surgery. Tonight was garbage all around, I wouldn't say that Bernier is unreliable, though the guy certainly does need to be allowed to play more games, can't sit for months at a time.

Brown - Kpitar - Toffoli
Clifford - Lewis - Nolan

Who do you put on waivers?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Not sure what you're saying here. Lombardi is waiting for a good offer, and he is also not ready to deal his only other NHL capable goaltender after his starter had surgery. Tonight was garbage all around, I wouldn't say that Bernier is unreliable, though the guy certainly does need to be allowed to play more games, can't sit for months at a time.

totally agree he gets 53 mins 11 secs as a replacement goalie lets in 4 goals 3 were pp goals for the ducks and most of you are ready to trade him He needs to play more then once a month or so to be effective. Give him a break.

Who do you put on waivers?

by the looks of his lineup and his hate of stoll Stoll would be the first one there I think king would be the second but not postive

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Muzzin is a tough case for me.

He is holding his own in my opinion, he really needs to start playing more minutes than 12, but he's doing well with his time. When Martinez and Voynov came up to join the team they had the luxury of pairing with Greene and Mitchell respectively. Muzzin is paired up with Drewiske, and all credit to Davis but he is no Mitchell or Greene. There is no real safety net for Muzzin, no veteran presence on his line. Those things make a huge difference.

I think that's the bigger problem, really.

Muzzin alone, fine. Drewiske alone, fine. They shouldn't be together. it forces Martinez and Voynov onto a pairing together, which isn't bad, but also isn't great. If any of those guys were with Mitchell, it shores just about everything up. Losing Mitchell AND Greene exposes us on a lot of details.

Jun 30, 2006
This is one of the stupidest comments I've read on HF in a long time. If you think Quick doesn't care you need to have your head examined.

My head's fine.

However, Quick and the rest of the team needs to have their heads examined. Sutter is trying everything to get these guys motivated to play a game, and they just aren't into it this season. Last season it is the same thing, we fired a coach to get things going...that didn't work initially, then it was trade rumors and trading JJ that got things going.

We're playing from behind almost right when the game starts, before I even have a chance to sit down. Three games in a row, and their mentality is not up to par. Kings could be earning the fluke label if this keeps up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad