GDT: Game 7| Columbus Blue Jackets at Detroit Red Wings| October 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM - FSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Leino might be garbage -- but he helped a team get to the finals.
He's overpaid now.

But but he's better than Kristofer tolefson or whoever the **** we got for him. That's undeniable.

When was the last time we traded a young player and got value for him?
Dan McGillis?:laugh:

I get your point...I cannot recall that the wings traded a good young player unless you count Primeau

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
The Wings want to win games. This isn't a charity where every young player gets to come up and play a bunch of minutes to see what happens. Who cares if Smith sits awhile if the Wings win? He sucked and deserved to sit- he isn't above consequences.

Whether or not Smith played poorly enough to warrant being benched for multiple games (I don't think he did), it's annoying that Babcock's "you suck, you sit" rule of consequences only applies to certain guys in the lineup, while others get a pass.

Cleary would have been watching the majority of last season's games in the pressbox if Babs actually benched ineffective (or in Cleary's case, often counter-productive) players.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Whether or not Smith played poorly enough to warrant being benched for multiple games (I don't think he did), it's annoying that Babcock's "you suck, you sit" rule of consequences only applies to certain guys in the lineup, while others get a pass.

Cleary would have been watching the majority of last season's games in the pressbox if Babs actually benched ineffective (or in Cleary's case, often counter-productive) players.

Exactly. No one is claiming Smith should get a pass or that Smith has played especially well. But if you're going to overlook the mistakes of some and not others, why the hell would you let **** slide with a well-knowing veteran and yet penalize the green rookie?

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

This. If scratches and demotions were handed out without bias there is no way Franzen remains on line 2.
Also how bout putting rookies in a position to succeed to begin with, seems rather stupid to try and change an offensive d-man to a defensive d-man and then get upset that the kid is struggling with it.

Aug 6, 2012
Back-to-back games, Smith and Tatar aren't playing still. I would love to hear what they have to think about Babcock.

RedWingsNow*

Wings just arguably played their best game of the season, probably a no brainer for the coaching staff.

I thought the Wings played a pretty lousy game other than line 1 and the PK. We were opportunistic. But Boston carried the play.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
This. If scratches and demotions were handed out without bias there is no way Franzen remains on line 2.
Also how bout putting rookies in a position to succeed to begin with, seems rather stupid to try and change an offensive d-man to a defensive d-man and then get upset that the kid is struggling with it.

And the irony, IMO, is that...is he going to be any worse defensively than he is now if he were playing a style he were comfortable with?

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I thought the Wings played a pretty lousy game other than line 1 and the PK. We were opportunistic. But Boston carried the play.

No, they didn't. Very evenly played game based on shots and scoring chances at 5 on 5. Babcock mentioned the same thing in the post game interview.

RedWingsNow*

No, they didn't. Very evenly played game based on shots and scoring chances at 5 on 5. Babcock mentioned the same thing in the post game interview.

Babcock is wrong and so are you:)
The shots might have been close, but except for about 10 minutes in the 2nd period, Boston came at us in waves almost the entire game.
We must have blocked close to 25 shots. Not to mention all the shots wide.

A lot of that was powerplays...but the powerplays were in part a result of Boston carrying the play.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
prout scratched for jackets, foligno out for personal reasons it seems. gaborik still questionable.

jack johnson mentioned how they had specifically marked the dates of wings game on their calenders. gameplan was, keep dats and z off the puck, make them skate a lot, back and forth the ice etc.

Jeez I hope they marked the rest of their games on their calendars too...

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I dunno why so many people around here are so high on Smith. I think he's running out of chances really fast now. He's had time to adapt and I haven't seen much good from him.

Watching that horrendous Smith Quincey line in the playoffs... I noticed quite often Quincey making great desperation plays to bail Smith out of the trouble he put himself into. I don't particularly like Quincey, but ******* did Smith ever make him look good for a while.

I'm willing to let Smith get more chances but my patience is wearing out. If we gave him up for something decent I wouldn't miss him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad