GDT: Game 7| Columbus Blue Jackets at Detroit Red Wings| October 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM - FSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I agree but it's back to back nights and we're running the same realgud lineup so the legs won't be so fresh.

True, but in fairness we did play yesterday in the early afternoon. Hopefully that allows the old, realgud legs a little more time to recover.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
True, but in fairness we did play yesterday in the early afternoon. Hopefully that allows the old, realgud legs a little more time to recover.

Tatar should be in for Cleary, but that isn't going to happen. Sammy is one thing on a back-to-back, but Cleary...that's Babcock's boy.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Very true. A few Ranger castoffs, and a goaltender that has overachieved, and they're considered a playoff team. They are decent, but not good enough to make the playoffs in a 82 game season.

I think they'll be the same thing they were last year - a bubble team that barely misses.

RedWingsNow*

jackets work their tails off

this will be a tough game

3rd game in a row benching for Smith is not GOOD, one game sends a message, three however?

The Wings are excellent at sucking out all the value from young players.
Mursak waived.
Leino - traded for nobody.
Quincey - waived

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The Wings are excellent at sucking out all the value from young players.
Mursak waived.
Leino - traded for nobody.
Quincey - waived

I'll believe Mursak is good when he starts playing in the NHL.
Leino is garbage.
And Quincey .. well he's a #4 to #6 D-man we traded a 1st round pick for... ok you have a point on that last one :P

RedWingsNow*

Leino is garbage.
And Quincey .. well he's a #4 to #6 D-man we traded a 1st round pick for... ok you have a point on that last one :P

Leino might be garbage -- but he helped a team get to the finals.
He's overpaid now.

But but he's better than Kristofer tolefson or whoever the **** we got for him. That's undeniable.

When was the last time we traded a young player and got value for him?
Dan McGillis?:laugh:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I'm worried that this could be the beginning of the Kindl treatment for Smith, i.e. shuffling in and out of the lineup and ruining his confidence.

You know honestly, This is not Salei vs Kindl.

This is Smith vs Lashoff vs XO or some call up. So its not the same thing. Smith will be back. And there needs to be some competition for spots in the lineup.

As much as Lashoff is an AHL man... if he plays solid defensively... thats his only job.

If we win with Lashoff... and not with Smith... Then i say keep Lashoff.

Lets just hope smith plays better WHEN he comes back.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I think they'll be the same thing they were last year - a bubble team that barely misses.

To be fair, last season the Wings were a bubble team that barely made it.

I think C-bus will be better this year, with a full season of Gaborik and Horton coming back later in the year. They'll need Bobrovsky to play well again, though.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Leino is garbage.

I think the bigger point is, why give up on talent without giving them a shot first when you're willing to give the likes of Emmerton, Lebda, Meech, Miller, Glendening, Lashoff et al a shot.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
You know honestly, This is not Salei vs Kindl.

This is Smith vs Lashoff vs XO or some call up. So its not the same thing. Smith will be back. And there needs to be some competition for spots in the lineup.

As much as Lashoff is an AHL man... if he plays solid defensively... thats his only job.

If we win with Lashoff... and not with Smith... Then i say keep Lashoff.

Lets just hope smith plays better WHEN he comes back.

If winning/losing depends on the presence of your #6 Dman, then you've got bigger problems.

That said, I see no reason why Smith will play better when he gets back. He's more Rafalski than he is Stuart, and yet Babcock is asking him to play the role of the latter.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think the bigger point is, why give up on talent without giving them a shot first when you're willing to give the likes of Emmerton, Lebda, Meech, Miller, Glendening, Lashoff et al a shot.

Smith isnt out. There is no risk of smith being sent down. This is very temporary.

Tatar might play 10 games this year at current.
Nyquist might play Zero.

Those 2 are much more of a problem than Smith.

Smith misses 3 games? big deal.
If he is benched for 7, then lets talk :P

RedWingsNow*

Only reason Emmerton is here is because he's a center. I think Mursak was ahead of him on the depth chart.
But things were ****ed because this team called up Andersson and could have went with Abdelkader and Andersson and used Mursak still...but we chose to waive Mursak and keep Emmerton -- who we waive a year later.

Obviously the franchise doesn't see much value in either guy.

In the end, this team wasn't ever going to give Mursak a shot. So it's good for the other prospects that he went to GR and helped lead that team to the finals.

Brett Lebda -- Boy, talk about someone who really doesn't seem to fit any notion about this team, this GM or this coach.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
In the end, this team wasn't ever going to give Mursak a shot. So it's good for the other prospects that he went to GR and helped lead that team to the finals.

Mursak couldn't stay healthy when he was given a shot. In the end I have to believe management just figured they couldn't keep giving him more and more shots given the status of the roster.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Smith isnt out. There is no risk of smith being sent down. This is very temporary.

Tatar might play 10 games this year at current.
Nyquist might play Zero.

Those 2 are much more of a problem than Smith.

Smith misses 3 games? big deal.
If he is benched for 7, then lets talk :P

It may be temporary in the sense that he isn't permanently relegated to #7 duty, but it very well be permanent in the sense that he'll be jerked in and out of the lineup. He's already playing a style he isn't cut out for, and now we're going to make it even tougher for him to grow into that role.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mursak couldn't stay healthy when he was given a shot. In the end I have to believe management just figured they couldn't keep giving him more and more shots given the status of the roster.

But the "shots" they gave him were pretty suspect anyway. Mursak was one of our better penalty killers in the AHL, did he ever get a chance to do that?

They just take curious routes with some guys, their handling of Mursak was confusing. Sure he had some ill-timed injuries, but they never really put him in positions that suited his game. Fine earn your ice time, but why does Glendening immediately get tried out on the pk, i hope Sheahan and Ferraro get similar chances, because Jan should have been on the pk in any game he suited up for and it was a disservice to his ability to fight for a spot that Babcock never wanted to do it.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
They played Mursak in 40 games or so and had 4 points. They watched him in practice for two years and watched his development for years before that. They probably didn't give him a larger "shot" or whatever that means b/c they want to win games and felt giving him a larger role would diminish their odds of that. Every team in the league had a chance to get him for free and passed and now he's out of the league. There is nothing odd about how they handled him compared to other players- he's not any good and they value other guys more.

The Wings want to win games. This isn't a charity where every young player gets to come up and play a bunch of minutes to see what happens. Who cares if Smith sits awhile if the Wings win? He sucked and deserved to sit- he isn't above consequences.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
They played Mursak in 40 games or so and had 4 points. They watched him in practice for two years and watched his development for years before that. They probably didn't give him a larger "shot" or whatever that means b/c they want to win games and felt giving him a larger role would diminish their odds of that. Every team in the league had a chance to get him for free and passed and now he's out of the league. There is nothing odd about how they handled him compared to other players- he's not any good and they value other guys more.

The Wings want to win games. This isn't a charity where every young player gets to come up and play a bunch of minutes to see what happens. Who cares if Smith sits awhile if the Wings win? He sucked and deserved to sit- he isn't above consequences.

I have to agree with this.
Tatar and Nyquist seem to produce when they are in the lineup. Its sad our team has remained so strong that we really dont have 3-4 spots to just leave rookies for a whole season.

I think everyone agrees Nyquist and Tatar are better than Mursak. But Mursak's injuries were a problem. They kept giving him a shot, and he injured himself out of it. They just ran out of time with Mursak. And no one else wanted him. Sorry but hes gone.
Id like to see Tatar have 40 games. He has more points than Mursak with less games so far.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Leino might be garbage -- but he helped a team get to the finals.
He's overpaid now.

But but he's better than Kristofer tolefson or whoever the **** we got for him. That's undeniable.

When was the last time we traded a young player and got value for him?
Dan McGillis?:laugh:

We also got a 5th pick for Leino in 2011, either Hudon or Backman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad