Post-Game Talk: Game 69 - One thing is clear, these teams now HATE each other - TBL 5 BRUINS 3 F

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Reading through some of the posts this morning I’m worried that the playoffs are going to be an epic level shit show around here. Won’t elaborate further. Sane posters will, I suspect, know exactly what I mean. Meantime getting my initial “ignore list” prepped so I can go into quick action when needed. Hope I’m wrong, but suspect I’m not.

And cancel culture, my ass. Like choosing not to eat food that gives me gastric distress. Sensible avoidance of inane stuff that makes life tedious.

If fans of hockey didn't appreciate the game last night... I don't know. Sometimes you gotta shelve the fandom and just enjoy intense hockey between excellent teams. It's like the '13 Final - of course I wanted them to win, however there's another team on the other side of the puck and it was some of the best hockey that the NHL had produced for years.
This was the two best teams in the league going at it in a heated affair at the top of their game - win or lose, that was a Hockey Game.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Well, at least the Flyers aren't playing wel..

Carter Hart's last 8 home games:
8-0-0; 1.86 GAA; .939 Sv%.

Luckily, that other guy also has very favorable GAA and Sv% #'s in his last 8 road starts. Halak started the previous 2 games (OT losses) against the Flyers this year.

Tuesday night should be a great game. I hope the Bruins have a dominant showing.

Reactions: bbfan419

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I know the Bruins lost the game but I loved it anyway- 2 outstanding teams going full tilt against one another and generating plenty of hate along the way. The only way it could have been better is if the Bruins had won.

Yep. Both teams brought it and it was nice to see from a hockey standpoint. It's what the league should aspire to. One of the least disappointing losses I've seen in awhile.
I couldn't care much less about some of the whining about chippiness, cheap plays or David Krejci/Tuukka Rask. Tampa and Boston are two of the best teams in the league and both wanted to make a statement.

xo

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Tampa knows what they are doing and who to go after with playoffs in mind.

Four players going after Marchand who didn't even initiate says it all.

Absolutely. After last year the first memo on how to beat the Bruins in the playoffs states 'rough them up and throw them off their game', with 'interfere and hold as much as you can get away with' a close second. There are very few teams who can skate with Boston for 60 mins and few who can put out a comparable match-up against our top line. But what the Bruins have lacked is size and an effective counter to teams getting rough, physical and borderline illegal close-checking. So it's only logical that opponents are going to try and slow down and break up the B's play through hard-checking, roughing, cheap shots and getting as handsy as possible, because often it works and, with the way the games are refereed, particularly in the playoffs, the advantages are worth more than the resulting penalties most of the time.

The Bruins needed a solution and it's apparent that they know it. That's why we've now seen 2 Ritchies, why Heinen is gone, why Lauzon is in, why Blidh has had some game time, and why since January the players have been much more willing to engage in scrums and fights and defend their own. Things are getting better, but it's still a work in progress. At the moment when teams play like Tampa just did they're still gaining a net advantage from it - they're coming out of it with penalties at least 50/50 or better, they're still slowing the game down, still limiting the production of our top line, still opening up our D a little bit, and there's certainly still no fear factor in gooning it up. The response from the players in these situations has been much improved and it's been pleasing that they've clearly been putting a lot of thought into it, but in the end all that matters is the scoreboard - the Bs simply have to prove that the tactics no longer work by winning games in which they take place and by getting right back up and doing it again after each bruising contest.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Just got back from a lacrosse tournament and watched the highlights. Two things, wish I could have watched the game, second Chara shouldn't fight anymore. Bruins need a legit dude to take on these wanna-be tough guys like Maroon. Chara's days of dealing with these ass-hats is over. He gets tossed around, goes off-balance, and falls. He is gonna get tagged one of these days and thats all people will want to remember.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
In the 70's this was just another Saturday Night Special. They both needed to get this out of their system, games like this don't occur often in the Playoffs, too much at stake. Win the little battles you'll win the war most times which I thought we did. But as we have seen in the past the PP was letting the PK'ers watch the rerun of Get Shorty. Maybe a couple practices with Pasta lining up on D with the forwards coming at him full bore with the Dean of the D ( Kevin) and Captain Z tutoring the lad. He'll be our first Fifty goal man since Cam, but when it comes to defending the rush against the PK he's Fifty Shades of Grey.
LOVE THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Just got back from a lacrosse tournament and watched the highlights. Two things, wish I could have watched the game, second Chara shouldn't fight anymore. Bruins need a legit dude to take on these wanna-be tough guys like Maroon. Chara's days of dealing with these ass-hats is over. He gets tossed around, goes off-balance, and falls. He is gonna get tagged one of these days and thats all people will want to remember.

that's completely not true. Chara was at the end of a long and heated shift...Maroon came fresh off the bench to start that scrum. And then on top of it Chara gets cheap shotted from behind. And still, Maroon resorted to wrestling Chara instead of squaring up and trying to throw.

I know you said you didn't get to watch the full game so just filling you in. A lot happened before that.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Chara literally got crosschecked in the back by a different guy while tussling with Maroon. This is a ridiculous take.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
that's completely not true. Chara was at the end of a long and heated shift...Maroon came fresh off the bench to start that scrum. And then on top of it Chara gets cheap shotted from behind. And still, Maroon resorted to wrestling Chara instead of squaring up and trying to throw.

I know you said you didn't get to watch the full game so just filling you in. A lot happened before that.

Correct.

If the B's had a Shawn Thornton or Lucic, that would be great. They don't, and Chara is still more than capable of ragdolling his opponents.

The major point in this instance is that while Z was occupied with Maroon, Cirelli crosschecked him from behind. So, you know, fair fight.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX

Thanks for the info

Reactions: Root

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Tampa has bulked up and I worry the B's don't have enough players to deal with that cheap goon type of hockey.

Put in a call to Quaider. Is he done??? I know he was skating with the boys this past Fall. I know it is a long shot but what are the rules here. Could the B's sign Adam to contract for this season ?

I worry that our best players will be injured by the likes of Maroon and other dirty players
Good idea. People here were complaining that they weren't going to use all of the cap savings from the TDL but IMO, this is a move that can pay dividends. McQuaid and call up Frederick to deal with the heavy game that will be laid on the Bruins. Along with Ritchie I would feel confident that they can shut down the type of nastiness that the Bruins are prone to fall victim to in a long playoff series.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The Bs need to figure out how to deal with the type of goonery as seen in the Blues series and the type of stuff that went on last night. TB pushed the limits with it's gang attack on Marchy and the BS that went on after the whistle on several occasions that led to skirmishes. In a world of competence the refs would deal with it and minimize it by enacting proper punishments to the offending team. Instead, it seems like the aggressor team is rewarded by the refs by a) having things evened up simply because the other team tries to defend itself , or b) nothing at all is called on the offending player(s). The fact that DoPS is a frickin clown show run by the clown-in-chief doesn't help things either.

My feeling is that the Bs need to just go into berserker mode when crap is started since they are going to get a matching penalty anyway. Hurt the players who start crap and give them something to think about. Another response that may be useful is to do unto others what they have done to you. If TB wants to send 3 or 4 players on a seek and destroy mission at a Bs star, fine. Do the same thing to a TB star at some point in the game in retaliation. This stuff of walking a tightrope and not fully responding is not optimal. I definitely do not want to see a repeat of last season's SCF where a team with inferior talent upset the Bs by way of shenanigans that made enough difference to tilt the series. It's great the Bs have evolved to the point this season that they now defend each other. They need to take another step, especially the non-skill players.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Here's our lineup from Game 5 of that series since Apparently that's what you bases the 2020 Bruins on.

Marchand/Bergeron/Pastrnak
Debrusk/Krejci/Rick Nash
Ryan Donato/Reilly Nash/David Backes
Tim Schaller/Kuraly/Accari

Chara/McAvoy
Gryz/Miller
Mcquaid/Holden

According to you, The only difference will be Tampa improving.

But Boston icing 9 different players will make no difference.

I'm going to say it again, Go away.
This is EYE opening. Thank You!

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
John Moore's positioning on the 4th goal on the PK makes me want to puke. 2 people unbothered in front of Rask with Moore nowhere to be seen. 3rd goal totally on him as well.

Outside of each of their goals, the Bs totally dominated the game. Lazyness by the 1st unit and 2 horrible plays by Moore.
You can blame Cassidy for putting him in that position. Yes he should've had that covered but when a guy hasn't played in (I don't know) how long you feed him minutes very carefully until you're sure that he's up to speed.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
When it was all said and done, Marchand’s penalty at the end of P2 was a game changing moment. B’s had all of the momentum on their side and ended up needing to kill a penalty with one of their best PKers in the box. That didn’t happen and we know how things ended.

Just one play in one game, but tough moment there.
Disagree. The "game changing moment" came in the 1st period when, in a moment on the f****ing PP they gave up 2 TWO short handed goals. Marchand was mugged by 4 Lightning players. How he gets blamed for a game changing moment is bullshit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad