Post-Game Talk: GAME 69 - Nobody expected this - BRUINS 7 Sabres 0

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Could they start both goalies in the playoffs on purpose, or na?

If you start Linus and he has some stinkers, and then you bring in Sway, that's obviously going to create some weird. If you tell them before game 1 "we plan to deploy you both at various points" you basically totally diffuse any issues. If Linus has 3 incredible games, great, he can close out the series. If he has 2 good games and a so-so one, Swayman can come in for a spot start.

I don't I'd do it personally. But it's interesting to at least consider.
I think Monty has already indicated he’s going with Linus. If things go to hell I’m sure that could change.

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019

If you start Linus and he has some stinkers, and then you bring in Sway, that's obviously going to create some weird. If you tell them before game 1 "we plan to deploy you both at various points" you basically totally diffuse any issues. If Linus has 3 incredible games, great, he can close out the series. If he has 2 good games and a so-so one, Swayman can come in for a spot start.

They'll have to start the playoff goalie in back to back starts pretty soon.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

They both have been so good I would play both. Why burn out one of them?

No one will ask me though so I know they will do what is best.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Saw this earlier..
1679336677164.png

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Since entering the league at the end of the '20-'21 season Swayman Ranks (min 50gp)

GAA - 1st
SV% - 3rd
GSAA - 10th
HDGAA - 1st
HDSV% - 3rd
HDGSAA - 11th
SO - 8th

He's easily been one of the top 10 goalies in the NHL the last 2+ seasons and he hasn't even come close to hitting his prime yet.

Its no secret that I'm a huge Rask fan. He's my favorite goalie of all time and tied with Bergeron as my favorite player all-time. Looking at Swayman through his 22yr thru 24yr old season (not 100% done yet) vs Rask at the same age.....

1679342900156.png

This kid is going to be something special, which is why I shake my head when anyone suggests trading him because of our cap situation next year. This is a kid you make part of your now and future. With Swayman, McAvoy, Lindholm & Carlo in the back for years to come, this team will always have a chance. They may not blow teams out, but they'll be in just about every game.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
From KPD today

Early in the season, happy with the Ullmark-Swayman rotation, coach Jim Montgomery said he’d be inclined to shift the workload more to one of the starters as the playoffs approached. Now with 13 games to go, and the postseason roughly a month on the horizon, the coach on Sunday did not sound ready to break from the currently winning formula any time soon.

“We don’t think we need to stray from it right now,” said Montgomery. “I always talk to Goalie Bob [Essensa] and Sweens [GM Don Sweeney] about what we should be doing to get our goalies to be in the best position to be ready. We’ll continue to do that, but the rotation’s been working really well.

“You don’t need to fix anything that’s not broken.”

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
You play the long game with physical play, kinda like how the B's wore down the Canucks over seven games in 2011.

I'm all for building good habits and don't necessarily believe in hitting a switch, but there is no reason for these guys to be throwing lots of hits against teams that ultimately won't matter.

In addition, they need to be willing to absorb hits in the offensive zone when the stick handling entry isn't working. In that regard I like what I've seen recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad