Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
To each and every one of you that came out with nonsense like "it's only game 1" or "they did the same last year" or "you're just overreacting" after that debacle in Boston last week:

Last night was for you.

Last night was why there was such a reaction.

It wasn't just 1 game. It's been several years of the same lifeless patterns & habits, that we all should have seen coming from miles away.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kinda crazy how much my mind has already shifted to the offseason and changes.

What a waste of a year this was and it could get worse.

What took you so long to get here?

For me the Prospect Thread has been a refuge. I guess "Hockey Futures" being the theme.

It is redundant to say, but they need a true leader, and ideally on defense.

Would a new coach have made a difference? No idea.

Reactions: Tak7

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
But from my understanding they've already made a change at the Top.

They weren't going to do anything midstream.
They hired a new GM, with zero time to explore the possibilities of trading some of the core before they had trade protection. THEN signed 88 to a unmatchable number basically stalling his “contract year” performance and setting the team up for eight years of misery. God help us if it was Tre’s idea to get that contract done……..

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
TSN. The Leafs were lifeless. Its like pumping air into a flat tire.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="YouTube" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They hired a new GM, with zero time to explore the possibilities of trading some of the core before they had trade protection. THEN signed 88 to a unmatchable number basically stalling his “contract year” performance and setting the team up for eight years of misery. God help us if it was Tre’s idea to get that contract done……..
No. I mean at the Top, not a subordinate like Treliving.

Treliving is a minnow at MLSE.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
You cant build a team around overpaid wingers who dont play a playoff style nor have any incentive to win.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You cant build a team around overpaid wingers who dont play a playoff style nor have any incentive to win.

Have you seen the terrible D assembled? This isn't all on core players... we surrounded them with some of the worst players we've had in the Matthews era and are surprised about the results.

Once again, the core is sucking, but the garbage surrounding them is not helping.

Reactions: Da Mash

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Marner and Tavares 21.9 million = 3 points
Domi and Bertuzi 8.5 million = 6 points

and that is just stats, not including energy brought to the game.

I feel sorry for Nylander. He is one of the few players that tries to do shit.

Imagine coming back from illness/injury, playing hurt, just to watch Mitch crying instead of fighting.
Yes, instead of chasing the puck, throws his hands up and whines.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
What took you so long to get here?

For me the Prospect Thread has been a refuge. I guess "Hockey Futures" being the theme.

It is redundant to say, but they need a true leader, and ideally on defense.

Would a new coach have made a difference? No idea.
Its not about taking time, moreso the process.

This is team was built with significant flaws in he offseason. It was called out.

Windows for change expired. It was called out

They started poorly. It was called out

The skid on their way to playoffs. It was called out.

The only saving grace was the idea that this was a playoff built roster with physical players. Instead we're seeing the worst post season performance in the Matthews era.

Reactions: ULF_55

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
We had Andersen, we should have held on to him to be honest. Letting him go was a huge mistake. Equally the leafs need to start drafting and developing guys. We need a complete overhaul of our drafting system. Woll seems to be a good find, but we need dmen and centers

We should also remember Boston was up 3-1 last year and lost to florida at home. Personally I think it’s over in 6.
Wasn't drafting and developing guys supposed to be the way this was going to work? Draft good players on their ELC that we can bring in on the cheap to augment our team given how much was devoted to the top 4. Somewhere, Dubas deviated from this plan and traded picks like candy. To start drafting now is a little late for this iteration of the Leafs but we have to start somewhere I guess.

This is really disheartening to see. So much promise and so little results in the playoffs. The chances to screw this up were really low and somehow Dubas managed the feat.

Reactions: francis246

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What’s the expected stats say?

Doesn't look good for Domi/Bertuzzi, they were expected to be playoff warriors and are coming up short.

Wasn't drafting and developing guys supposed to be the way this was going to work? Draft good players on their ELC that we can bring in on the cheap to augment our team given how much was devoted to the top 4. Somewhere, Dubas deviated from this plan and traded picks like candy. To start drafting now is a little late for this iteration of the Leafs but we have to start somewhere I guess.

This is really disheartening to see. So much promise and so little results in the playoffs. The chances to screw this up were really low and somehow Dubas managed the feat.

It's weird to blame Dubas when we currently have the worst team of the Matthews era and he is not here.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
To each and every one of you that came out with nonsense like "it's only game 1" or "they did the same last year" or "you're just overreacting" after that debacle in Boston last week:

Last night was why there was such a reaction.

It wasn't just 1 game. It's been several years of the same lifeless patterns & habits, that we all should have seen coming from miles away.
Exactly, this is actually year number 8 of the same shit.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Doesn't look good for Domi/Bertuzzi, they were expected to be playoff warriors and are coming up short.

It's weird to blame Dubas when we currently have the worst team of the Matthews era and he is not here.

Continuing the same loser pattern that was well-established with Dubas.

Turns out, yes, they're still gutless losers who can't rise to literally any occasion,

Shocking :laugh:

Reactions: hamzarocks

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
The funny thing is, most of the posters here know, pretty well, what is wrong with this team, so does much of Leaf Nation. I don't understand how those fat cats in the Ivory Tower have no clue as to what's going on, let alone fix it. Maybe having too much lobster, red meat and champagne has a negative effect on the thought process.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It doesn't matter if the Leafs win the series?
It does, but I think Florida will easily beat whoever advances from this series. If we pull off a miracle comeback, it will be a great moral victory, but we're not a serious contender as currently constructed.

Reactions: Pinkcat

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Look who we throw out on D......not one would make the Bruins and Im including Reilly because they know he is terrible on D. Then you have Sammy and not making big stops.

Then we were all brainwashed to think we needed more grit because we got pushed around. How is that working for us? We may be better after the whistle but we pay the price when the puck drops because alot of these gritty guys have no skill. We doubled the hits on the Bruins last night....and they won....go figure....I team can win being out hit ....you hear that Don?

The misery isnt seeing Nylander and Mathews on the ice ....its the constant crap players we get to appease the fans. When is the last time we had a D that could play the power play? How about some D that can kill off penalties. How many times do we see them out of position because they want to lay a hit?

Taveres eating 11 mil a year doesnt help either. Marner struggles. But what about the rest of the team? Why is Reaves out on the ice down 2 .....he should never see the ice.

Tre had lots of time to correct this.....he chose to go the cheap route. Pick up big D that the previous teams no longer wanted....They may well be suited for a team playing the trap but we need offence so we get players that have no hockey IQ and their outlet pass is off the boards.

And who do we have on the bench? Gio and Lilly....more guys that struggle making decisions.

We constantly blamed our forwards for not playing D and thats why we suffered defensively but we refuse to accept that we need our D to help our offence.

Sorry....just frustrated.

Wasnt expecting much this year....it didnt help that Willy had migranes and Mathews is battling a flu or food poisoning. It would be nice if Tavares...Bert...Domi....Knies...etc would offer something offensively but again....they are no shows.

And can we stop praising Reilly for one good playoff series last year....another player that fits the agenda of fans that will hail him as being great when he is part of the big problem on D IMHO .....I remember years ago fans complained he should be playing forward because he is always behind the opposing net.

Last edited:

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Vikings fan here too, hence why I am happy he is a falcon lol, its the Darnold/JJ to JJ era now lol
I've been a fan of the Vikings since the Fran Tarkenton era when they lost in the Super Bowl 3 out of 4 years in the early 70's. At that time, the feeling of a Leaf team winning the Stanley Cup was relatively fresh so it didn't sting as much. But the mismanagement by Leafs brass. allowing good young players to go to the WHA ruined that Leaf team. Come to think of it, not unlike what Dubas has done losing players like Moore, Joshua, Verhaege, etc for nothing.

Reactions: Cleetus

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Continuing the same loser pattern that was well-established with Dubas.

Turns out, yes, they're still gutless losers who can't rise to literally any occasion,

Shocking :laugh:

Those gutless losers were drafted by Lou so... so I guess it started there and has been continued?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad