GDT: Game 65: Red Wings vs yotes 7:00 pm et 3/14/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
One has to wonder if Yzerman is thinking about trading Larkin like Bowman wanted Yzerman shipped to Ottawa. You can’t lose one player and lose 7 straight. Something stinks w that.

Wonder what the Wings could get for him. One has to ponder the idea, no ?
What good would that do?

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Waiting for optimistic guys who still "like our team", somehow see "young core", and expecting us "to come out strong next game".

Honestly, this is one of the biggest collapses that I've seen in a couple of decades for the Red Wings. There was absolutely no indication throughout the year that this team can fall like this.

I guess something happened recently that we are unaware about.
Well funny you say that, many advanced stats nerds said the Red Wings weren't nearly as good as they showed and had been outscoring a lot of their underlying issues.

Not saying I agree or not, just saying that to some people there definitely were some indications.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Waiting for optimistic guys who still "like our team", somehow see "young core", and expecting us "to come out strong next game".

Honestly, this is one of the biggest collapses that I've seen in a couple of decades for the Red Wings. There was absolutely no indication throughout the year that this team can fall like this.

Yeah, Lyon stopped playing in GOD mode. When he took over he was making critical outstanding saves on plays the other goalies could not stop. Now he is not making those critical saves and even letting in some weak ones in. Basically he was covering up our defensive flaws but not anymore.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, Lyon stopped playing in GOD mode. When he took over he was making critical outstanding saves on plays the other goalies could not stop. Now he is not making those critical saves and even letting in some weak ones in. Basically he was covering up our defensive flaws but not anymore.
That might indeed be the reason. That's why you need to be strong at two out of three positions: defense, offense and goaltending.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
One has to wonder if Yzerman is thinking about trading Larkin like Bowman wanted Yzerman shipped to Ottawa. You can’t lose one player and lose 7 straight. Something stinks w that.

Wonder what the Wings could get for him. One has to ponder the idea, no ?

probably not as much as you'd think between his full NTC and the big commitment his long term deal represents

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
giphy.gif

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The death of offence has just been unbelieveable.

Never seen anything like this scale of sudden change with any team ever in hockey.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota

Some of us were posting all game.

I don't know what exactly combined to get them to this collapse, and I'm certainly not enjoying it, but this is the same bench - and behind it - that got them seriously close to 3rd place in the East, and beat or held tough against the best the NHL had to offer on many occasions.

Is it any more complicated than a worn-out Lyon and Reimer being garbage most of his minutes in net, plus Larks going down? I don't know. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. I know I don't like it, but I'm not ready to rain down fire and brimstone yet either.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is it any more complicated than a worn-out Lyon and Reimer being garbage most of his minutes in net, plus Larks going down? I don't know. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. I know I don't like it, but I'm not ready to rain down fire and brimstone yet either.

It definitely is something more.

Every single player regressed to a TANK level in a one week, except Raymond.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Lyon played great in January, that gave the team confidence and then the team started playing great and dismantled some of the opponenta and then they became overconfident. Then the loss of Larkin and Lyon playing average and even some soft goals and here we are.
Our forwards are bad in both the offensive and defensive zone.
This team is a country club 10 times more than it ever was under Lewis.
The death of offence has just been unbelieveable.

Never seen anything like this scale of sudden change with any team ever in hockey.
The amount of chances they are missing is insane, specially DeBrincat.
It definitely is something more.

Every single player regressed to a TANK level in a one week, except Raymond.
And Chiarot. And Seider.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
We have playoff experience. Just from the older players who aren’t leading well right now.

Nobody on this team is winning the Messier award, I’ll tell you that much.
For players that actually matter, no we don’t.
Raymond and Seider have none and Larkin/Debrincat have like a combined 15 games or something like that.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Who would they get for those picks that would have prevented this losing streak and would decide to hitch their wagon to this team after this season?
Why would they need to hitch to next season when we already have a logjam? It’s time to trim the fat/prospects not add more.

Roslovic isn’t great, but would have helped the team more than some of the garbage were icing right now with Larkins injury

Jake Allen was had for a 3rd, and is infinitely better than Reimer and would be able to give Lyon, who is clearly gassed, an actual break

If Yzerman refuses to bring up Ed, any of Miller, Dumba, Johnson are an improvement over half our D.

And that’s ignoring the players who weren’t traded at all.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
For players that actually matter, no we don’t.
Raymond and Seider have none and Larkin/Debrincat have like a combined 15 games or something like that.
If this was soccer, we could loan Raymond to a playoff team where he can get some experience. I wouldn’t blame he or Seider if they wanted to play for an actual contender.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
And drafted some good players. I just don’t see consistency in his philosophy by overpaying Chiarot and bringing in slow defenders like Holl and Perry. The forwards meanwhile are all soft as butter. There’s no semblance of grit or forechecking. Are we trying to compete, tanking, or both?
The guys he drafted. Have to eventually take their spots. The way we should look at it as fans is prospect a and b have to beat out Chariot. Trust me when they are ready he will have no problem dropping that oversized pleb for one our draftees. He's not doing it for an incomplete player though. If Ed was ready he would be here. Example : Seider.

Debrincat has 23 goals and his salary is almost 8 million.
Lol

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Arizona was by far the NHL-worst team from last 25 games.

And they did lose them twice, without getting a single point.

At earlier in the season, San Jose was NHL-worst team and they lost for them. Then they lost for Montreal. Abysmal Ottawa was hard to beat.

On December, Anaheim was probably the NHL-worst team and they lost for them at home.

Where does that arrogance come from?

It's OK for me if you lose for strong teams, and surprise some of them, here and there at this point of era, when you are not a real contender. Real contenders lose too for poor teams, because they are so good that they can play with the result in non-interesting games.

But for this team...? Which is battling for the playoffs and those easiest points should be easiest to take, just doing your job well.

It doesn't take anything else. Something is mentally wrong.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
By not making any adds, even the 2nd or 3rd tier guys, at the TDL, SY exactly like I said would happen told the team forget it...I don't believe in you

I said he needed to throw them a bone to reward them for how they "had" played..ideally a medium term asset but something needed to be done

Locker rooms are a funny environment..even pro millionaire athletes...Doing nothing, whether right or wrong in the longterm, has a lot to do with where we're today...the message was clear and the reaction, 100% predictable.

Hopefully inside that locker room theirs enough pride to say screw what SY thinks, we're doing this ourselves..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad