GDT: Game 65: Red Wings vs yotes 7:00 pm et 3/14/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Ehhh I think that message is really meant for the casual fans.
You think he does a 180 in the locker room and tell them they can outplay Mackinnon when a few hours ago he did an interview saying when he's on the ice it's a "different league" and there's not much we can do, and you've gotta hope for the best. He has such a loser and defeatist attitude. Any of the player can see that interview after the game. But I hope you're right and he has a much different message for the players...

Reactions: RedHawkDown

CanadianRedWing

Dec 27, 2023
Did you feel that way when they were on a 6 game win streak?

The Wings this seasons were always going to be a bubble playoff team at best. They're just falling out of them in spectacular fashion.

I don't see how it's a massive roster construction problem when it's 99% the same roster that was a playoff team.
It isn't a playoff team until it actually qualifies. Semantics matter. It is trending to not be, ergo the roster construction is and might well be a problem.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Fester is worse than Blash. Blash at least had the excuse that the teams he was given were trash and expected to be trash.

Yeah this is pretty pathetic, why has he put the handcuffs on Seider from allowing him to play physical? Why are like none of the kids ever called up when injuries hit? Not saying they have to stay up but even when a kid gets called up they are lucky to get 12 mins of ice time. Why does Perron take 1-2 penalties a game for lack of discipline but never catches any consequences?

Just a few off the top of my head, I'd be firing at uncle fester.

This team is so frustrating. While Buffalo and Arizona and teams like it play all their youth we continue to play these God damn vets who are too slow to keep up and we lose against them. I am so sick of it. Whenever edvinsson is healthy (hopefully we get an update soon) they better just call him up because once again petry maata and ghost were terrible tonight. And there's 0 reason they didn't fall Kasper up instead of a 4th liner. I'd much rather let Kasper try centering kane then compher who seems so slow!
And who is Ed supposed to be paired with?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It isn't a playoff team until it actually qualifies. Semantics matter. It is trending to not be, ergo the roster construction is and might well be a problem.

My point is that this was always going to be a bubble playoff team at best. But a hot streak and suddenly they're looking better than they are, followed by a total tailspin and they look like it's time to blow it all up.

The roster construction issues are the same ones we've known about all season. This losing streak didn't change that any more than the win streak did.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Because trading futures for a potential 2nd wildcard position and getting skull thumped by the Panthers isn’t what one would call good asset management.
you think another 3rd or 2nd round pick when we’ve had 100 of those is more important than gaining playoff experience?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
You think he does a 180 in the locker room and tell them they can outplay Mackinnon when a few hours ago he did an interview saying when he's on the ice it's a "different league" and there's not much we can do, and you've gotta hope for the best. He has such a loser and defeatist attitude. Any of the player can see that interview after the game. But I hope you're right and he has a much different message for the players...

No, I don't think he does that. I just think DD is trying to keep fans interested

I really doubt any player watches some random in game commentary and takes it personally. Hell, I doubt they watch it at all.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Here's my read:

Yzerman knows he has unlimited time. He looks at the fact that he didn't play in a SCF until he was 30 and didn't win a cup until he was 32. He is in no rush.

He is slow playing the shit out of this rebuild. A lot of GMs push hard into rebuilds and rush players because they know they'll be fired if they don't make it in 3 years. That's how Buffalo got stuck in a permanent rebuild. Like, Benson should probably not be in the NHL this year.

Between ASP, Edvinsson, Cossa, Augustine, Danielson, and Kasper, Yzerman probably thinks he has the answers to the deficiencies on the team.

He went out in the off-season and signed flawed players who were jettisoned from their teams, just to fill out the roster.

This team wasn't supposed to make the playoffs. Does it suck for us to think we were in again and get the rug pulled out? It absolutely does. It makes the team look bad. But I think the outcome of this season is more in line with what Yzerman envisioned going into free agency and signing a bunch of B-level players.

It also lets him see what he has in his chosen coach, and IMO Lalonde is extremely lacking. He is a decent technical coach but the guy is a dead fish motivationally and always finds a way to say the worst possible thing. He has to be gone in the off-season.
That’s a good explanation. It would make more sense though if he sold again at the deadline, since the players sold likely won’t be back next year anyway.

CanadianRedWing

Dec 27, 2023
Couple of these cats haven't posted in so long that the server doesn't have any history for them beyond today. That's dedication!
Some of us simply have other elements of our lives than posting on a forum every game. Personally, I'm relatively new to the forum regardless, and am not often in position to read or post.

A forum is more than just those on it every day.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
It’s embarrassing that being around the playoffs at the end of the year was such a mild expectation when teams like Philly accidentally make the playoffs every year

Reactions: GMR

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
My point is that this was always going to be a bubble playoff team at best. But a hot streak and suddenly they're looking better than they are, followed by a total tailspin and they look like it's time to blow it all up.

The roster construction issues are the same ones we've known about all season. This losing streak didn't change that any more than the win streak did.
I'm a total broken record here, but there were quite a few games I was shocked that they won...Granted - I'm all for sloppy wins, but that ain't happening any more.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Fester is worse than Blash. Blash at least had the excuse that the teams he was given were trash and expected to be trash.

I don't think he's worse than Blash. Prior to this abysmal streak there's been tangible improvements in zone exits, special teams. Sure the talent is better but the systems got better too.

He seems unequipped to correct whatever the hell is going on now though. Which Blashill had the same issue his last season.

Reactions: flychairman

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
you think another 3rd or 2nd round pick when we’ve had 100 of those is more important than gaining playoff experience?
Who would they get for those picks that would have prevented this losing streak and would decide to hitch their wagon to this team after this season?

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
And who is Ed supposed to be paired with?
Umm anyone! But the kid is frickin good and we have just lost 7 in a row and are free calling! So time to make a change. Honestly I'd go all in and bring Ed up and put him with Seider. Wallman and seider haven't been good lately anyway. Try it out. Then let wallman play 2nd pair with big Ben. Then whatever for the 3rd pair. Or play ed with big Ben on the 2nd pair.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Someone needs to get a screengrab of that Bjugstad goal where 4 Wings players were behind the redline and the other guy was coming off the bench.
1710468363338.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad