Post-Game Talk: GAME 64 - Oilers 2 BRUINS 1 F/OT - B's now have 15 loser points

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
In from another Groundhog Day game

first the good news- 3 of 4 points in back to back games against Toronto and Edmonton with travel thrown- hard to complain about that
But
The ability to give away a win late in the game is becoming an almost expected event. When Heinen missed the open net you could sense the crowd thinking" here we go again"..I have to believe the bench had the same reaction

On a broader scale- the Bs looked like a team playing a back to back...the Oilers were consistently quicker to the puck and with their sticks, the Bs D struggled to get quick outs and there was little to no Bs forecheck. When you add that together- the Oilers were the better team tonight and Linus probably stole a point.

Now the rematch with the Leafs on Thursday ....hopefully a day off will refresh both their legs and their heads.

I don't think the Oilers were the better team. The stats wound up pretty even - Bruins had more shots, the Oilers more scoring chances, both teams created 6 high danger chances, Bs slightly had the edge in xGF - 52.4%. Both teams had periods when they were on top, Edmonton probably had the greater raw number of opportunities, but felt to me like Boston had a couple more really good ones. I'd agree that the Oils were generally quicker to pucks, and the B's forecheck was not strong, but our D did block a lot of shots and shut down lanes pretty well.

Overall an even game I'd say. A tie was probably a fair result, and was what we got.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Lysell and jake for sure I see.
Jake makes sense only if Dubas is unaware he’s a UFA and thinks he’s a prospect

Dubas already stated the return for Guntzel is prospects and if he’s trading him to Vancouver and Vancouver is trading Lindholm here

I see Pittsburgh without anyone and Boston not giving anything

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
For a b2b after last night in Toronto I am really happy with how they looked. They're fighting through some major adversity with the late game blunders. Maybe they get past that and come out stronger and it helps them in the PO. Never know. But they've looked great the last 2 nights. They almost shut out McDavid & Co, that's never a bad thing.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
For a b2b after last night in Toronto I am really happy with how they looked. They're fighting through some major adversity with the late game blunders. Maybe they get past that and come out stronger and it helps them in the PO. Never know. But they've looked great the last 2 nights. They almost shut out McDavid & Co, that's never a bad thing.
He still got 2 pts :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Hook

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Yeah in the space of 2 days they played 2 of the highest-scoring teams in the league and kept them to 1 goal each, and 1 of those very arguably shouldn't even have counted. Off the back of a recent period where our defense has been having some troubles, that's a really good result.

Are the late-game issues solvable with this current roster? Doesn't particularly feel like it at this point, but at least they're getting plenty of practice in trying to figure it out.

At least they got a point. If it is going to be the Leafs, definitely want game 7 at TD.

If we can get it, for sure. But beating them in their own barn in G7 in 2019 was also quite glorious. I'll take either.

Reactions: bruins19

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Interesting that Carlo and McAvoy played a full 43 seconds shift in OT before the GWG.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Fell asleep in the 3rd.

It’s almost like they’ve got to be up 2 or more going into the final couple of minutes because it’s all but certain that the opponents will be able to tie the game with the goalie pulled and then beat them in overtime.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I am okay with the result, the boys must have been exhausted - Edmonton sitting, waiting for the Bruins in Boston. I know, you can't actually say these things because they are "excuses". The ending was obviously disappointing but for a team that some people thought might not even make the playoffs, they sure have pulled off a lot of wins and points.

As pointed out here many times, it will be 5 on 5 in the playoffs. Obviously the last minute goals when it is 6 on 5, or 6 on 4, are concerning, but a tie at the end of regulation in the playoffs would take it back to 5 on 5. Not the same thing at all.

Another win against the Leafs would be nice, they have to play back to back this time, even though it is not traveling through borders.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad