Post-Game Talk: GAME 59 - McDavid scores 2 but the BRUINS scored 3 - BRUINS 3 Edmonton 2 F

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
One thing that stood out about the Oilers...without McDavid they are the 1975 Washington Capitals. Friggin' horrible. Everyone on that team waiting for him to do something.
McDavid, Nugent Hopkins, Draisatl...after that a bunch of scrubs including Nurse...8 years 74 mil. :huh::biglaugh:

How they continue to employ a guy like Puljujarva is beyond me as he has no recognizable hockey skills other than tying up his skates.

A good road win. Top lines had their chances but it didn't go in. Depth saved us.
Orlov and Hathaway are impressing right away.
Liking Hathaway's speed.
It was great to see Cliffy back in the line up.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Back at the hotel. Not much time to write but a couple of things really stood out.

Lindholm is incredible live. Composed. Accurate. No panic and he moves the puck incredibly well.

Orlov was really trick or treat. Most of the time he did the right thing. And his skill and agility are both very apparent. But his backhand blooper to the middle of his own defensive zone had me wanting to jump on the ice and smack him upside the head. A couple of other boner plays with the puck too.

Hathaway was shockingly good. He fights for his ice, but also he was very heads up in all three zones. Good reads and factored into the Bruins first two goals. Ive hated him for a long time, but I never knew how actually good he was at the game.

Foligno was great. Excellent with the puck. Good on the forecheck. His skill level is something that really popped in a surprising way live.

Speaking of which - Zacha was my player of the game. He is big, smart and very good everywhere. Really stood out way before his goal. I can't believe he's ours and for a long time. He's gonna be a difference maker in the playoffs.

I got very angry at McAvoy for giving up on the Oilers second goal. I don't know what he was expecting on that play, but there was no one around him. He needed to go hard into that corner and no allow a clean pass out to the slot. Thing is, I couldn't stay mad at him as he was ON the rest of the night and made the Oilers fans around us furious.

Why did we not use the points at all? I wanted to see Orlov rip one. The team as whole felt very sloppy and unfocused.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I was surprised to see how many penalties were in the game, there had been none when I stopped watching and went to bed. I hope Marchy is okay, I know he came back but I'm still concerned about it. I didn't see any post game interviews posted unless I missed them.
Another win, another two points, possibly no major injuries. I would like extra info if anyone has it!

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Could only just watch the highlights. How the hell was McD's second goal allowed? That's a worse judgment call than in football when someone's offside but you deem they didn't affect play (they almost always do, one way or another). He changed into our zone seconds before the fifth player left the ice, immediately set off and scored just as he did. Might have been so egregious the linesmen took for granted that someone else had changed for him, did a quick count and saw four oilers on the ice and though "fair enough".

Can't imagine having that goal scored against you in the playoffs. Well, I can, because it happened to my Swedish team at one point (only the change came off an offensive zone faceoff and led to a breakaway goal as they effectively gained 2/3 of the rink off it).

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1677587130616.png

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Where the hell was Hathaway when this was going on?
DK/Marchand/Bergy were all legit accidents. If Hathaway had gone after any of the guys I would have been pissed.

Nurse backed into Marchy and nicked him in the leg. Krejci to a check and got himself with his own stick and Bergy got high stuck playing the puck.

I didn't see the slash on Pasta b/c I was also writing a very bad rough draft of a paper. Pro tip, don't write an argument to suppress statements made to the police while watching a hockey game.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Bergy having not one but two close calls near the eyes this year isn't exactly helping our odds to get him back next year.

Weird thing is I can't recall him having many of those over his whole career!

khanomcat

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria, BC

Montgomery is a bonehead putting 5 forwards out like that with McDavid and Draisaital out there.

Pastrnak turned the puck over twice on that 5 on 3. The second time Bergeron got back to block the pass from McDavid to Draisaital. It looked at first like Krejci but it was Bergeron. What a freaking player.
I think Bergeron’s ability to get back from the offensive zone to defend is under appreciated. I find myself shaking my head in wonder.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Bergy having not one but two close calls near the eyes this year isn't exactly helping our odds to get him back next year.

Weird thing is I can't recall him having many of those over his whole career!

I can't imagine him retiring after the 99th year of team history --- but that's a discussion for another day.

Reactions: Jdavidev

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton averaged 35 shots a game I believe coming into this one. Only 24 last night. One would think that back 6 opened some eyes with their stinginess. Maybe they will be the play-off pairs? They certainly seemed outchanced overall though, without #48 the offense did not seem anywhere as in sync as it normally is.
Outshot 14-7 with Forbort on the ice. 34% xG

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Edmonton averaged 35 shots a game I believe coming into this one. Only 24 last night. One would think that back 6 opened some eyes with their stinginess. Maybe they will be the play-off pairs? They certainly seemed outchanced overall though, without #48 the offense did not seem anywhere as in sync as it normally is.
i think with getting orlov we can now afford to sit forbort.
i like orlov mac as a pair
i still would like to see clifton and lindholm as a pair a few games.
then try gryz and carlo as a pair.
i think clifton would be best with lindholm than gryz.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Back at the hotel. Not much time to write but a couple of things really stood out.

Lindholm is incredible live. Composed. Accurate. No panic and he moves the puck incredibly well.

Orlov was really trick or treat. Most of the time he did the right thing. And his skill and agility are both very apparent. But his backhand blooper to the middle of his own defensive zone had me wanting to jump on the ice and smack him upside the head. A couple of other boner plays with the puck too.

Hathaway was shockingly good. He fights for his ice, but also he was very heads up in all three zones. Good reads and factored into the Bruins first two goals. Ive hated him for a long time, but I never knew how actually good he was at the game.

Foligno was great. Excellent with the puck. Good on the forecheck. His skill level is something that really popped in a surprising way live.

Speaking of which - Zacha was my player of the game. He is big, smart and very good everywhere. Really stood out way before his goal. I can't believe he's ours and for a long time. He's gonna be a difference maker in the playoffs.

I got very angry at McAvoy for giving up on the Oilers second goal. I don't know what he was expecting on that play, but there was no one around him. He needed to go hard into that corner and no allow a clean pass out to the slot. Thing is, I couldn't stay mad at him as he was ON the rest of the night and made the Oilers fans around us furious.

Why did we not use the points at all? I wanted to see Orlov rip one. The team as whole felt very sloppy and unfocused.
I put that one a lot more on Swayman, he needed to play the puck. And once he didn't do that, he needed to tell McAvoy that someone was coming. McAvoy tried to take a look to see if someone was coming but it's all behind him so Swayman has to tell him that a guy is coming and he can adjust.

Meanwhile, my biggest take from that game is that Nurse is not good. He's soft on the breakout and gives it away. That's a tragedy to have him eating up $9.5m on a team that good. Meanwhile, I know Bouchard is the whipping boy over there but he made some plays out of the zone.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Montgomery is a bonehead putting 5 forwards out like that with McDavid and Draisaital out there.

Pastrnak turned the puck over twice on that 5 on 3. The second time Bergeron got back to block the pass from McDavid to Draisaital. It looked at first like Krejci but it was Bergeron. What a freaking player.
That was not very smart, I hope coach learned from it

Reactions: 13Hockey

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
hopefully bergy or krejci sits tonight.
time to start resting our older players for more important games.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I put that one a lot more on Swayman, he needed to play the puck. And once he didn't do that, he needed to tell McAvoy that someone was coming. McAvoy tried to take a look to see if someone was coming but it's all behind him so Swayman has to tell him that a guy is coming and he can adjust.

Meanwhile, my biggest take from that game is that Nurse is not good. He's soft on the breakout and gives it away. That's a tragedy to have him eating up $9.5m on a team that good. Meanwhile, I know Bouchard is the whipping boy over there but he made some plays out of the zone.

I have never understood why goalies literalky sit in their crease when the play
is completely in the other teams zone.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

I don’t think he could play it wasn’t it in the trapezoid?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
DK/Marchand/Bergy were all legit accidents. If Hathaway had gone after any of the guys I would have been pissed.

Nurse backed into Marchy and nicked him in the leg. Krejci to a check and got himself with his own stick and Bergy got high stuck playing the puck.

I didn't see the slash on Pasta b/c I was also writing a very bad rough draft of a paper. Pro tip, don't write an argument to suppress statements made to the police while watching a hockey game.

I knew #63 got cut by accident but not about the other two. Thanks!

They've been so fortunate with injuries this season but they're so close to the playoffs now that I'm starting to panic a bit every time a Bruin takes a hit, blocks a shot, etc. We can't afford to lose anyone.

Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4