Post-Game Talk: GAME #59: Canucks 4 @ Kings 3 (S/O): In your face, Willie!

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
The whole “Willie D” is a bad coach is just a meme it doesn’t reflect reality.

Exactly, those last 2 seasons Willie coached the Canucks, Team Canada's abysmal performance at the Olympics, and the 3rd ranked LA Kings are just all FAKE NEWS, created by the FAKE NEWS SPORTS MEDIA.

WILLIE D IS A VERY GOOD COACH, VERY COOL

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
No idea if it applies to him, but a nagging injury can look a lot like laziness. Not ready to consider him a slacker.

This. Remember that game when Boeser stopped the puck with his right hand, was in lots of pain at the bench? Petey was a good team mate, pressed his glove down on Boeser's hand, which was placed on an ice pack. He seems to be having problems gathering in passes. Wondering if the hand is not 100%.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Exactly, those last 2 seasons Willie coached the Canucks, Team Canada's abysmal performance at the Olympics, and the 3rd ranked LA Kings are just all FAKE NEWS, created by the FAKE NEWS SPORTS MEDIA.

WILLIE D IS A VERY GOOD COACH, VERY COOL

Willie became the scapegoat for Gillis’ crumbling core. The Kings are only 7 points out of the playoffs and they have the 6th best record in the western conference in their last 10 games. Based on their start they should not even be close to making the playoffs. Without Willie D they would probably be dozens of points out of the playoffs not 7. Willie is getting the most out of that team right now and it’s kind of strange that everyone would acknowledge that LA played a good game and played well against a team like the Canucks that is tied in points for a playoff spot but don’t connect the dots to realize Willie D deserves credit for that.

Reactions: Zippgunn

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
00XGXjt.gif

New to being a Canucks fan?

Nope, but I do miss when this board was more enjoyable to read.

Reactions: stampedingviking

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Deceiving game for Boeser

He wasnt very good,
but he gets a tap in goal, and wins it in the shootout.
I thought his goal took talent, had to act fast, elevate the puck in a split second. Dont think any other Canuck besides Peetey who would have scored there

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I get so triggered whenever Willie D comes up in conversation. He was the worst coach I ever watched up close in the NHL outside of Dallas Eakins and I just can't stand him. I admittedly don't know much about his work with the Kings having only watched three or four Kings games this year. But I am completely irritated that he has the third best shot in the world sitting on his team and he never utilizes him as the triggerman on their PP and his Xs and Os don't utilize his top players best strengths.

I just can't stand that guy. He looks like a complete mental case shaking clutching his clipboard behind the bench.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Willie became the scapegoat for Gillis’ crumbling core. The Kings are only 7 points out of the playoffs and they have the 6th best record in the western conference in their last 10 games. Based on their start they should not even be close to making the playoffs. Without Willie D they would probably be dozens of points out of the playoffs not 7. Willie is getting the most out of that team right now and it’s kind of strange that everyone would acknowledge that LA played a good game and played well against a team like the Canucks that is tied in points for a playoff spot but don’t connect the dots to realize Willie D deserves credit for that.
Weird how that Gillis core got over 100 its in willies first year, and when Benning started tinkering with the line up suddenly the Canucks were the worst team in the league over the following years.

And no Willie is not a good coach, and LA does not have elite talent.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I get so triggered whenever Willie D comes up in conversation. He was the worst coach I ever watched up close in the NHL outside of Dallas Eakins and I just can't stand him. I admittedly don't know much about his work with the Kings having only watched three or four Kings games this year. But I am completely irritated that he has the third best shot in the world sitting on his team and he never utilizes him as the triggerman on their PP and his Xs and Os don't utilize his top players best strengths.

I just can't stand that guy. He looks like a complete mental case shaking clutching his clipboard behind the bench.
Hes a nice guy. Cool it pal

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Weird how that Gillis core got over 100 its in willies first year, and when Benning started tinkering with the line up suddenly the Canucks were the worst team in the league over the following years.

And no Willie is not a good coach, and LA does not have elite talent.

Did you forget about Quick, Kopitar, Doughty, Kovalchuk, Toffoli, etc?

It’s not weird at all. Gillis’ core still had gas left in the tank in 2014 and 2015 but not 2016, 2017 or 2018. Simple concept.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Did you forget about Quick, Kopitar, Doughty, Kovalchuk, Toffoli, etc?

It’s not weird at all. Gillis’ core still had gas left in the tank in 2014 and 2015 but not 2016, 2017 or 2018. Simple concept.
No I wasn't. Quick isn't exactly playing well with his 0.899 Sv and 3.09 GAA. Kopitars 42 pts in 56 games sing exactly elite production, neither is Kovalchuks 11 goals in 47 games, or Toffoli´s 27 points in 57 games. By your standard Goldobin is having an elite season.

Doughty is good, but not what he was.

Or the fact that Benning added crap players like Sutter, Gudbransson, and his stupid age-gap idea came back to bite him in the ass.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Great game by Gaudette! Brisebois looked decent, definitely better than Pouliot & Gudbransson. We have younger, cheaper and better talent that can’t crack the line up on a regular basis because of the overpriced useless plugs we have on the roster.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
My only real thoughts aside from what's been mentioned already.

I thought Hutton was pretty bad this game to be honest and was exposed a couple times. I think we all like his personality and compete level but I don't think he's much more than a third pairing defenseman. The enthusiasm and heart he brings every game is to be commended. But he's just too much of a liability in my opinion. I'm willing to have my mind changed on this. He's certainly not the biggest problem (both literally and figuratively) on the backend. But I'm not expecting much more out of him than a team oriented third pairing guy who will move on in the next few years.

Throw me in the Stecher fan club as well. That kid is legit working himself into a top pairing defenseman before our eyes. Our most calm, confident and talented defenseman by miles tonight and I think he will continue to be a minutes leader for this team for many years.

Never really saw the Hobey Baker Gaudette until tonight. That shot to tie the game was big league. I think we're all ready to drive Sutter to the airport.

I don't really see why Granlund gets so much hate. Yeah, he's a soft marginally effective two-way player spot filler. But he's not the biggest problem on the team and he's fine eating minutes.

I don't think there can be any argument the defense is the biggest problem and needs urgent attention.

Last edited:

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Hutton is looking pretty worn down. Have to love Stecher although there will never be a great deal of offence and I don't see him as a PP guy. People seem to forget his rookie year when they tried that extensively.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I can’t believe what people are saying about Stecher. He’s a rich man’s Biega. He isn’t even remotely dangerous offensively and defensively can get manhandled due to his size and lack of strength. His compete and game sense are off the charts good but he still won’t ever be more than a #4-5 guy.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Biega has been pretty good the last two games in my opinion. Plus I laugh on the inside every time I look at him. But Biega is the best skating defenseman we have and he has been playing fairly decent defense. A couple stick checks in particular tonight stand out in my memory.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Put Biega out there for any extended stretch of games and ice time long enough for the “oh shit I’m playing in the NHL” adrenaline wears off and he’s a marginally effective. I have no problem with him as a #6-7 guy, I like Biega too but he’s no top pairing defender or anywhere close to a top 4 guy.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Just realized.. Lost in all this is is the fact we won this game without Edler and Tanev. Absolutely huge and Markstrom gets credit for keeping us in games without our top pairing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can’t believe what people are saying about Stecher. He’s a rich man’s Biega. He isn’t even remotely dangerous offensively and defensively can get manhandled due to his size and lack of strength. His compete and game sense are off the charts good but he still won’t ever be more than a #4-5 guy.

He just played 31 minutes in a win against your ‘elite’ Kings without conceding a goal. He deserves all the plaudits he’s getting tonight.

Someone actually trying to say the dumbest thing possible would have better takes than you. It’s actually incredible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad