Post-Game Talk: GAME #59: Canucks 4 @ Kings 3 (S/O): In your face, Willie!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Edler Karlsson
Hutton Stecher
Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Tryamkin Brisebois Woo Sautner Biega Pouliot. idk thats looking pretty promising.

Karlsson and Hughes both would be game changing especially allowing Hughes to play down lower
That not only obviously makes the blueline stronger, but that much offensive skill can’t help but make the forwards more effective.

Reactions: sting101

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I hate to break it to you but regular season OT used to be 10 minutes long and not have a shootout. It never killed anybody.
I hate to break it to you, but there's a reason they changed it and haven't gone back to it.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
yes i agree but it is a better scenario for him to play higher in the lineup than 4c and i feel like they were projecting him as a 3c once he was ready so Beagle really had very little bearing on Gaudette going forward.

It's pretty obvious that Sutter is on his way out unless a top4 defenseman is offered in a deal involving Gaudette as they may bridge to Madden if they think he's a better long term option...i doubt it though Madden seems pretty far away at the moment and may be more of a winger in the pros anyway.

Our Center position and goaltending are looking good right now. Just need to get Stone and Karlsson this offseason and were in business (dare to dream)

But the gist of your position was that they shouldn't project guys to do too much too soon, which should also apply to projecting Gaudette as a 3C for this season or even beyond at the time that they signed Beagle. If Gaudette turned out only to be a 4C, now you also have Beagle on a $12M contract who is incapable of jumping up to 3C.

Contracts like Beagle's are part of what will hamper efforts to go after good UFA defencemen or wingers. There is too much money already committed to guys who aren't top-6/top-4 players. Roussel is the only UFA signing on the books who is earning his full keep. And Sutter, yes he can be traded this summer but it will probably require either eating some salary or taking a small bad contract in return because Sutter at this stage is an injury-prone 30YO who is not a standout as a 3C, with two more years at $4.4M per.

Reactions: Hit the post

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Edler Karlsson
Hutton Stecher
Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Tryamkin Brisebois Woo Sautner Biega Pouliot. idk thats looking pretty promising.

Karlsson and Hughes both would be game changing especially allowing Hughes to play down lower

I notice no Gudbranson in your lineup.
:thumbu:
That would be definite addition by subtraction.

Tryamkin coming back is a nice thought, but never established as a sure thing.

Juolevi, I'm not sold on... but who knows he could be a decent piece?

Brisebois, Sautner, it would be good to see how these two do in the tail end of this season and next season... but are either trending more than bottom pairing?

Biega, Pouliot, we know what we have here... Biega is good as a 7th, but doesn't seem able to deal with more than that. Pouliot shows flashes of his offensive capabilities, but has been just as much of a liability in his own end... if he could get his actual defending to a competent level instead of bleeding chances he could be a decent player... but on this team, you kinda need to be able to hold your own.

Woo I have hopes for, but is likely a few years away if he does turn out to be NHL ready.

So, of those listed Juolevi on the LD, and Woo on the RD (with Tryamkin if he ever came back) are our options from within for that potential top 4 spot.

I don't see them coming in next year, especially Woo being just drafted last year, but maybe they could? Still would seem wise to find a legitimate top 4 defender... in place of Gudbranson.

Let's say all of Edler/Tanev/Karlsson go down...

We then have
Hutton/Stecher
Hughes/ ?
?/?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Yo, Johnny, remember Boeser's attempt to hit a guy against the boards last year? It resulted in him injuring his lower back. I don't care if I ever see Brock hitting. It's not where his talent lies. :thumbu:

Hahahaha. You want a hockey player that can’t throw a hit. You can keep him. Those aren’t the type of players you win with.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
It’s impossible to lie about a fact. When Gillis got fired Horvat was in the OHL, Markstrom was in the AHL, and Hutton was in the NCAA. Look it up for yourself. All 3 of them could’ve possibly never become NHL regulars at that point.

Yet somehow you already say that Hughes is going to turn gudbrandson into a 35 point dman, Madden is a playoff eberle with intensity, juolevi is still a stud prospect when it’s more likely these 3 never become as valuable to the canucks as the Hutton-markstrom-horvat combo is right now.

So can you go on record and say that it’s more likely that benning hasn’t provided any core players here?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Yet somehow you already say that Hughes is going to turn gudbrandson into a 35 point dman, Madden is a playoff eberle with intensity, juolevi is still a stud prospect when it’s more likely these 3 never become as valuable to the canucks as the Hutton-markstrom-horvat combo is right now.

So can you go on record and say that it’s more likely that benning hasn’t provided any core players here?

Gillis’s drafting record was so terrible that his prospects didn’t get the benefit of the doubt at the time in contrast in with Benning whose strong draft record warrants his prospects being given more credence in face of uncertainty. Gaudette is an example of a 5th round pick that Benning turned into a regular NHLer and looks like he will become a very good player for us moving forward. How many times did that happen during Gillis’ tenure?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Gillis’s drafting record was so terrible that his prospects didn’t get the benefit of the doubt at the time in contrast in with Benning whose strong draft record warrants his prospects being given more credence in face of uncertainty. Gaudette is an example of a 5th round pick that Benning turned into a regular NHLer and looks like he will become a very good player for us moving forward. How many times did that happen during Gillis’ tenure?

Ben Hutton

Connauton made it also

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Hopefully Sutter is traded at the deadline for a pick

i would settle for

71QHjDzE0hL._SX355_.jpg

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Ben Hutton

Connauton made it also

Re-read the quote you responded to. You cannot use Hutton playing in the NHL as a justification for why Gillis’ drafting record warranted the benefit of the doubt BEFORE Hutton played in the NHL. That’s circular reasoning and a logical fallacy called begging the question.

Both Hutton and Connauton became regular full time NHLers after Gillis was fired and Connauton never became a good player.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Ben Hutton

Connauton made it also

Gillis even admitted in his last interview that he wish he improved the Canucks drafting and made changes to it faster than he did when he was the GM, he owned up to this weakness.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Re-read the quote you responded to. You cannot use Hutton playing in the NHL as a justification for why Gillis’ drafting record warranted the benefit of the doubt BEFORE Hutton played in the NHL. That’s circular reasoning and a logical fallacy called begging the question.

Both Hutton and Connauton became regular full time NHLers after Gillis was fired and Connauton never became a good player.

Ok you are correct here in that I mis read it; but as of right now which 5th round picks has benning shown that earn him the doubt that gaudette will be something?

Use this point in time and not future projections to show that gaudette will be a good player

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Ok you are correct here in that I mis read it; but as of right now which 5th round picks has benning shown that earn him the doubt that gaudette will be something?

Use this point in time and not future projections to show that gaudette will be a good player

Ryan Miller

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Gillis even admitted in his last interview that he wish he improved the Canucks drafting and made changes to it faster than he did when he was the GM, he owned up to this weakness.

I wish we Benning had the same self awareness in other areas he’s weak.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So let’s look at it like this
Ben Hutton was drafted in 2012
Mike Gillis was fried in 2014

You are saying at the point mike Gillis was fried (2 years after Hutton was drafted) that he hasn’t left anything for the canucks as Hutton could have busted as he hadn’t shown anything up to that point. (Debatable but whatever)

However you want to promote that bennings drafting is excellent by using Ryan Miller as an example of the drafting which is looking back 20 years.
It’s an more apt comparison to say that 2 years out Miller was in college and could have been nothing also. Correct?

Hutton didn’t bust and neither did miller so either compare the fifth round picks at the same time (2 years after being drafted) or the entirety of their careers (which for Hutton includes post firing development)

Is Gillis a great drafter? No but at least use the same timelines when you compare playera

Reactions: geebaan

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
I wish we Benning had the same self awareness in other areas he’s weak.
Benning has been improving (slowly). It would be nice if he overhauled the pro scouting and worked on his contract negotiating skills. His trades have actually been ok the last few seasons and the drafting had always been above average

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Should thank Gillis for getting us that extra 5th round pick. Benning preferred another player that round and selected that guy first with our default pick. The pick that Gillis got for Diaz was a worse pick that round (which he used to pick Gaudette).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad