Post-Game Talk: GAME #59: Canucks 4 @ Kings 3 (S/O): In your face, Willie!

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Willie became the scapegoat for Gillis’ crumbling core. The Kings are only 7 points out of the playoffs and they have the 6th best record in the western conference in their last 10 games. Based on their start they should not even be close to making the playoffs. Without Willie D they would probably be dozens of points out of the playoffs not 7. Willie is getting the most out of that team right now and it’s kind of strange that everyone would acknowledge that LA played a good game and played well against a team like the Canucks that is tied in points for a playoff spot but don’t connect the dots to realize Willie D deserves credit for that.

I really gotta ask, who would you consider below average coaches/management at the NHL level? Cause you very much seem like a glass half full, Oprah-esque "you get an award, you get an award" type of person

....which is all fine and dandy, and certainly won't keep lil ol me up nights, but pro sports are a cutthroat results-based business

(I was genuinely shocked WillieD got another head coaching job, interim or otherwise)

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Willie became the scapegoat for Gillis’ crumbling core. The Kings are only 7 points out of the playoffs and they have the 6th best record in the western conference in their last 10 games. Based on their start they should not even be close to making the playoffs. Without Willie D they would probably be dozens of points out of the playoffs not 7. Willie is getting the most out of that team right now and it’s kind of strange that everyone would acknowledge that LA played a good game and played well against a team like the Canucks that is tied in points for a playoff spot but don’t connect the dots to realize Willie D deserves credit for that.

Funny that the crumbling core that Gillis left are just the 3 best defenders on this team, the number 1 goalie and the 2nd line center after 4.5 years of a new regime. Don't let facts get into the way of a good lie, I guess...

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Funny that the crumbling core that Gillis left are just the 3 best defenders on this team, the number 1 goalie and the 2nd line center after 4.5 years of a new regime. Don't let facts get into the way of a good lie, I guess...

Markstrom Horvat and Hutton were not part of the core Gillis left behind. None of them were even in the NHL. Edler was drafted before Gillis. Tanev is the only one he gets some credit for.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Markstrom Horvat and Hutton were not part of the core Gillis left behind. None of them were even in the NHL. Edler was drafted before Gillis. Tanev is the only one he gets some credit for.

Lol what??? He traded for Markstrom and Horvat so yes he gets credit for that and he had personally seen Hutton play before they drafted him. This is insane. I don't come here that often but are you that blinded by hate for Gillis and love Benning?

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Looking at Gaudette, he is on pace now for 21 points over 82 games playing less than 10 minutes game mostly. He would already be by far our most effective 4th liner, and probably should be on our 3rd center or maybe on the wing with Horvat.
His p/60 min is 4th on the team and he is breaking even on GF/GA

We probably should not have signed beagle and started the season with Gaudette on the 4th line, in my opinion

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Looking at Gaudette, he is on pace now for 21 points over 82 games playing less than 10 minutes game mostly. He would already be by far our most effective 4th liner, and probably should be on our 3rd center or maybe on the wing with Horvat.

We probably should not have signed beagle and started the season with Gaudette on the 4th line, in my opinion

I prefer Beagle in the 4th line role. Gaudette needed some seasoning in Utica with lots of minutes. It looks like it has done him some good. Hopefully we can trade Sutter and have Gaudette be the 3rd line centre

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
He just played 31 minutes in a win against your ‘elite’ Kings without conceding a goal. He deserves all the plaudits he’s getting tonight.

Someone actually trying to say the dumbest thing possible would have better takes than you. It’s actually incredible.

Come on MS I KNOW you know what a sample size is and what it means. Stop being so hyperbolic. Stecher is a slight upgrade on Tanev offensively which means he’s terrible and kills momentum in their endzone. No team wants that on a top pairing and it’s crazy to call him that.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Lol what??? He traded for Markstrom and Horvat so yes he gets credit for that and he had personally seen Hutton play before they drafted him. This is insane. I don't come here that often but are you that blinded by hate for Gillis and love Benning?

I was replying to the original claim which was centered around the core when Willie D arrived. At the time Horvat, Markstrom, and Hutton were not there so they weren’t part of the “core that crumbled” they were the FEW prospects that came up towards the end of Gillis’ core running out of gas.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Someone please start a poll. They have both been beyond belief this year. I lean towards EP, but Marky has been lights out.

I don't think one person predicted that these 2 would be world class right now.

i like to think in training camp petey and marky each found an old unopened can of swedish juice that the sedins left in their lockers

of course, the sedins found those cans cleaning out their lockers and didn't realize they each had one left; thought they ran out of the stuff back in 2012

There used to be a smoke shop in Granville, back in the ‘80’s, that sold Jolt Cola for 50 cents a can, and cigarettes for $2 a pack... and people wondered why I was 6’ tall but only 130lbs. Living like that would kill me now.

Anyway, a wins a win and goals from Boeser are still goals. This board would have found fault with Mike Bossy or Brett Hull too, I guess.

when we were 12 and 13, before hockey we used to take a two dollar bill to the mac's and buy a bottle of jolt cola and as much loose candy as we could afford with what was leftover. i think i learned how to do math calculating the tax on penny candy. all that sugar and caffeine never made any of us skate any faster, as we'd hoped it would, but it probably had long term effects on our cardiovascular health.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
There used to be a smoke shop in Granville, back in the ‘80’s, that sold Jolt Cola for 50 cents a can, and cigarettes for $2 a pack... and people wondered why I was 6’ tall but only 130lbs. Living like that would kill me now.

Anyway, a wins a win and goals from Boeser are still goals. This board would have found fault with Mike Bossy or Brett Hull too, I guess.
heh, I my 'Jolt Cola' from either a vending machine or a small deli type store in the 'SUB' @ UBC (yeah, I know they've changed the name of the building for **** it, it'll be always known as the 'SUB' to me. Everything on campus is different now. Haven't been there in a now time; heck if you somehow dropped me in the middle of UBC today, I'd probably be hopelessly lost.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
They're five points from LAST place in the NHL as well.

This is an equivocation fallacy which means you’re using the same word with two different meanings to imply the same thing, taking advantage of a linguistic ambiguity.

“Last place in the NHL” and “basement” team used to mean different things than they mean now.

Traditionally there was 30+ points separating the last place team and the bottom playoff seed. That indicated a low level of parity in which it made sense to categorize the former in a fundamentally different category than the latter.

However the landscape of the NHL is changing and we are trending towards a level of league wide parity in which there are no “basement” teams anymore in the sense we used to mean “basement” which was a much worse team than any playoff team. The difference between teams is increasingly defined by chance in the form of bounces, puck luck, and injuries. In light of this it doesn’t make sense to hold onto our old and outdated ideas of the NHL standings.

To reinforce my point I propose a thought experiment. If there were only 10 points separating 1st place and last place in the NHL would the last place teams deserve ridicule for being in last place?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Compulsive liar confirmed. Exactly like your bosses.

It’s impossible to lie about a fact. When Gillis got fired Horvat was in the OHL, Markstrom was in the AHL, and Hutton was in the NCAA. Look it up for yourself. All 3 of them could’ve possibly never become NHL regulars at that point.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Banking on players with zero experience at next levels is a fools game.

There were many respected posters who had their doubts about Pettersson starting in the NHL. And even know we mostly agreed he could produce and be effective based off his history it would be hugely negligent to just hand someone an important role on a team. When they struggle what do you do? and as injuries inevitably happen how do you deal with that? Many a young player have been ruined by too much too fast....it's better to ease them in as they earn it and Phase out others as you upgrade your roster.

There are many things to be critical of by the Canucks brass but the development process seems to be going as you would hope.

Virtanen after the 1st season, Gaudette Goldobin Demko MacEwen Brisebois all are being slow cooked and thats the best method if they aren't stars.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I PVR'd the game. Added 30 minutes to the stop time....and it ended right before Boeser's shootout attempt...:(

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Banking on players with zero experience at next levels is a fools game.

There were many respected posters who had their doubts about Pettersson starting in the NHL. And even know we mostly agreed he could produce and be effective based off his history it would be hugely negligent to just hand someone an important role on a team. When they struggle what do you do? and as injuries inevitably happen how do you deal with that? Many a young player have been ruined by too much too fast....it's better to ease them in as they earn it and Phase out others as you upgrade your roster.

There are many things to be critical of by the Canucks brass but the development process seems to be going as you would hope.

Virtanen after the 1st season, Gaudette Goldobin Demko MacEwen Brisebois all are being slow cooked and thats the best method if they aren't stars.

Yeah sure. But maybe the prudent move would of been to sign someone to a low cost short term contract? Gaudette is also 22... cook him any longer and he is going get crispy

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Many a young player have been ruined by too much too fast....it's better to ease them in as they earn it and Phase out others as you upgrade your roster.

Signing Jay Beagle to a 4-year, $12M contract wasn't necessary in order to give Gaudette a bit of time. Gaudette wasn't a 18/19YO kid, nor a longshot to stick in the NHL; pretty much everyone thought he'd be a player in short order, the only question being how far up the lineup.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Signing Jay Beagle to a 4-year, $12M contract wasn't necessary in order to give Gaudette a bit of time. Gaudette wasn't a 18/19YO kid, nor a longshot to stick in the NHL; pretty much everyone thought he'd be a player in short order, the only question being how far up the lineup.
yes i agree but it is a better scenario for him to play higher in the lineup than 4c and i feel like they were projecting him as a 3c once he was ready so Beagle really had very little bearing on Gaudette going forward.

It's pretty obvious that Sutter is on his way out unless a top4 defenseman is offered in a deal involving Gaudette as they may bridge to Madden if they think he's a better long term option...i doubt it though Madden seems pretty far away at the moment and may be more of a winger in the pros anyway.

Our Center position and goaltending are looking good right now. Just need to get Stone and Karlsson this offseason and were in business (dare to dream)

Reactions: Nomobo

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
West is crazy this year... just, crazy. I can't remember a year it was this "competitive"?
I believe we were either one or two points out of a playoff spot as of Feb 15 in the year of the Torts.

With the loser point, unless you're REALLY bad, you're often still with realistic reach of a playoff spot in mid Feb.

It's a good thing actually as it makes for more buyers than sellers at the trade deadline. Will add to the value of any players we may wish to unload.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
yes i agree but it is a better scenario for him to play higher in the lineup than 4c and i feel like they were projecting him as a 3c once he was ready so Beagle really had very little bearing on Gaudette going forward.

It's pretty obvious that Sutter is on his way out unless a top4 defenseman is offered in a deal involving Gaudette as they may bridge to Madden if they think he's a better long term option...i doubt it though Madden seems pretty far away at the moment and may be more of a winger in the pros anyway.

Our Center position and goaltending are looking good right now. Just need to get Stone and Karlsson this offseason and were in business (dare to dream)
Even with Hughes and Karlsson, we need at least one-two more solid 2-4 spot defenders for the inevitable Edler/Tanev and whoever else injuries.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Even with Hughes and Karlsson, we need at least one-two more solid 2-4 spot defenders for the inevitable Edler/Tanev and whoever else injuries.

Edler Karlsson
Hutton Stecher
Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Tryamkin Brisebois Woo Sautner Biega Pouliot. idk thats looking pretty promising.

Karlsson and Hughes both would be game changing especially allowing Hughes to play down lower

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad