GDT: Game 57: Avs @ Jets - 6PM - I Can't Watch, Is it Over Yet?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The guy just needs a legitimate opportunity to play, and for the life of me I don't know why it's taken THIS long for Bednar to give that to him when he's been more than willing to play other trash players for significant amounts of time.

I've said before that I don't think too highly of Greer. I think he's slow, and that could end up restricting him to 4th line duties his entire career. That said, I think there's legitimate NHL abilities there, something I don't believe a guy like Sheldon Dries possesses.

I agree that Greer is no Flash, but he still looks about twice as fast as Tyson Jost.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Nick Holden was much better defensively than people give him credit for. If we could get Nick Holden 2.0 out of Graves I would be thrilled. He certainly skates better than Holden.

You... Holden is supremely underrated around here because of his over usage. He's actually a solid bottom pairing guy that has a capability to play more. Used that way, he's actually quite good.

Reactions: hold3n

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The guy just needs a legitimate opportunity to play, and for the life of me I don't know why it's taken THIS long for Bednar to give that to him when he's been more than willing to play other trash players for significant amounts of time.

I've said before that I don't think too highly of Greer. I think he's slow, and that could end up restricting him to 4th line duties his entire career. That said, I think there's legitimate NHL abilities there, something I don't believe a guy like Sheldon Dries possesses.
Based on our inability to even develop 4th line players I would be more than happy if Greer becomes a 4th line energy pain in the dick player for us. We have too many sweethearts out there. We need some assholes. Every good team has an asshole player.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Holden wasn’t a bad defenseman when he played with a physical edge to his game. And he was actually pretty adept at scoring the occasional backdoor goal when he jumped up into the attack. As long as he kept his game simple, he was a useful blue liner. Guenin, on the other hand, was simply clueless. Constantly caught out of position, pointing his stick here and there directing traffic, The General was abysmal. Funny thing is, Patrick Roy loved his a**, and kept sticking him in the lineup game-after-game. Not sure why?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good game from the Avs other than that poor stretch late in the 2nd period when they wouldn't stop turning it over. One bad goal against but Varly was strong as well.

I thought MacKinnon was great and that line really controlled play. They're going to need a lot more of that down the stretch.

The 4th line had some really nice shifts. I haven't liked much of Greer's game but he had strong moments last night and they needed that type of game against a bigger physical team like the Jets. The hands still looked questionable on that goal when he basically lost the puck while standing there all alone but he was still good on that shift and thankfully Toninato cleaned up.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well if you didn't think there was a noticeable difference in the way MacKinnon played last night and the way he's played the last 10 games then we can safely conclude that we are not watching the same game. Did MacKinnon lose control of the puck even once last night?? It looked like he had it on a string as opposed to previously when he'd bobble it awkwardly and just end up going off the ice.

I saw him and Bednar talking on the bench too. If I had to GUESS - I think they had another private conversation which led to a resolution because Mack's play is night and day when you compare last night to the game against the leafs.
Yup, Nathan looked engaged and was on last night. He didn't try any between the leg exits out the zone instead he was poised and made a pass or skated it out himself.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yup, Nathan looked engaged and was on last night. He didn't try any between the leg exits out the zone instead he was poised and made a pass or skated it out himself.

He has tried and failed doing that for the last few games and finally stopped last night. Those are the easily avoidable errors they can cut out pretty quick if they're willing.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Omg...not even close really.

I don't think Nemeth deserves to be bashed, he's generally a pretty solid player out there. He does seem to ice the puck a lot though but I prefer that than low percentage passing attempts that lead to bad turnovers that end up costing us every single time. At least with a faceoff, you get a chance at getting the puck back.

Most hated players in franchise history :
1. Steven Finn, LD (Nordiques - pre HF-Boards era - it's not close)

Title holders by year (HF-Boards era) :
2002-03 - Jeff Shantz, C
2003 -04 - Martin Skoula, LD
2004-05 - (still Skoula - he was hated through the lockout)
2005-06 - Patrice Brisebois, RD
2006-07 - Patrice Brisebois, RD
2007-08 - Brett Clark, LD
2008-09 - Brett Clark, LD
2009-10 - Brett Clark, LD
2010-11 - Matt Hunwick, LD
2011-12 - Matt Hunwick, LD
2012-13 - Greg Zanon, LD
2013-14 - Marc-Andre Cliche, C
2014-15 - Nate Guenin
2015-16 - Nick Holden, LD
2016-17 - Francois Beauchemin, LD
2017-18 - Patrick Nemeth, LD / Colin Wilson, LW

Congrats to those that are multiple champions!

I'd say Theodore in 07, Arnason in 09, Grigorenko in 16

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He has tried and failed doing that for the last few games and finally stopped last night. Those are the easily avoidable errors they can cut out pretty quick if they're willing.

Yah it was irritating seeing him do it and fail. Rantanen and Landy were doing it a lot aswell. I didn't see any of that last night instead I saw short smart passes from almost all the forwards. Rewatched the game this morning at work and that's as bad as I've seen the Jets and holy hell is Laine fighting it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yah it was irritating seeing him do it and fail. Rantanen and Landy were doing it a lot aswell. I didn't see any of that last night instead I saw short smart passes from almost all the forwards. Rewatched the game this morning at work and that's as bad as I've seen the Jets and holy hell is Laine fighting it.

And Jets fans were saying that was one of Laines best games in awhile.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
in 16 Grigs? Nah. That belongs to about 10 other guys.

- Patrick Weircoch
-Francois
-Joe Colbourne
-Warsofsky
- Mitchell

All those guys were much more hated than Grigs.

Easily Francois imo. Actually idk Colborne has to be close. Also what the f*** happened to Colborne? Lol

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Was a fun game to watch last night. Was refreshing to see them playing as a team and not individuals. I'm not sure what happened but the guys appeared to have fun playing again. Toni and Greer should be given a minimum of five games attached to each others hip to see if they can keep this up. Having that kind of a 4th line not only rattles the other team but it provides a lift to our own players. Scoring from them should be considered gravy. I was laughing so hard at how both Calvert and Greer just grin and smile the entire time they are creating mischief. That's got to drive opposing players absolutely bat-shit crazy.

The only downer for me last night was the PP. I've said this once before and got some negative feed back but I am still tired of watching the drop back pass to MacKinnon every single freaking time the top unit tries to enter the zone. It too often ends with one weak shot on goal, the other team firing back to our end and before you know it, a minute has been wasted.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Was a fun game to watch last night. Was refreshing to see them playing as a team and not individuals. I'm not sure what happened but the guys appeared to have fun playing again. Toni and Greer should be given a minimum of five games attached to each others hip to see if they can keep this up. Having that kind of a 4th line not only rattles the other team but it provides a lift to our own players. Scoring from them should be considered gravy. I was laughing so hard at how both Calvert and Greer just grin and smile the entire time they are creating mischief. That's got to drive opposing players absolutely bat-**** crazy.

The only downer for me last night was the PP. I've said this once before and got some negative feed back but I am still tired of watching the drop back pass to MacKinnon every single freaking time the top unit tries to enter the zone. It too often ends with one weak shot on goal, the other team firing back to our end and before you know it, a minute has been wasted.
The PP is way too static. Teams have scouted it and have taken the cross ice pass away from both Nathan and Rants. They only use two plays now on that top unit. Play catch with Barrie until he shoots wide or the slot play to Compher which is going wide or into the goalies chest. I would love to see both Nathan and Mikko attack the box more especially Nathan coming from his off wing with the shot he possesses.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Was a fun game to watch last night. Was refreshing to see them playing as a team and not individuals. I'm not sure what happened but the guys appeared to have fun playing again. Toni and Greer should be given a minimum of five games attached to each others hip to see if they can keep this up. Having that kind of a 4th line not only rattles the other team but it provides a lift to our own players. Scoring from them should be considered gravy. I was laughing so hard at how both Calvert and Greer just grin and smile the entire time they are creating mischief. That's got to drive opposing players absolutely bat-**** crazy.

I don't have a problem with the drop pass on the PP. They usually have nice entries with it. The problem with the 1st unit PP is they don't move the puck fast enough between them so the defenders have enough time to get set up and therefore don't get too tired. If you tire out the defenders that's when the passing lanes open. I find the 2nd unit do that a lot better than the 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad