GDT: Game 57: Avs @ Jets - 6PM - I Can't Watch, Is it Over Yet?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Isn't it amazing to finally see them get above average goaltending and BOOM they win a game that they mostly control. I guess it's all about perception. They played as well as most of the games during the last two months. They still had breakdowns tonight but the difference is that Varly bailed those out.

Great game overall. Really happy for Greer. He really needed this. Varly had a great game. Hopefully he keeps this up. Really happy for Toni as well. I always loved what he brought to the team. I just never liked his lack of offense. Hopefully he turned a corner tonight.

Oh and anybody telling me that these guys have stopped playing for Bednar is not watching the same games as I do.

Well if you didn't think there was a noticeable difference in the way MacKinnon played last night and the way he's played the last 10 games then we can safely conclude that we are not watching the same game. Did MacKinnon lose control of the puck even once last night?? It looked like he had it on a string as opposed to previously when he'd bobble it awkwardly and just end up going off the ice.

I saw him and Bednar talking on the bench too. If I had to GUESS - I think they had another private conversation which led to a resolution because Mack's play is night and day when you compare last night to the game against the leafs.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Can’t say enough about Greer going all the way across the ice to cross check Tanev. Seeing someone shoot the puck into your net after the whistle gets everyone riled up, but in a stretch like the Avs have been in, it would have been easy to just turn a blind eye and act like they didn’t see it. Especially since the goaltending has been atrocious, who cares to stand up for them. Just one of those signs that not everyone has given up on trying to have each other’s backs.

I actually thought Greer had way more ice time last night than he actually did. I guess because he was actually noticeable, quite a few times, it seemed like he was out there more.

Let’s get one more big boy for that 4th line.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I must be lucky for the city of Denver , i went to my first ever Broncos game last season , i'm a long time Broncos fan going back to when Elway played , and they beat the Steelers . That was a awesome experience by the way , everyone we met and talked to were great , definitely doing it again . What a great atmosphere and great stadium and great fans . :thumbu:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Wow, not sure if I have ever seen so much Nemeth bashing going on before, new heights. ;-) Is Nemeth the most hated player ever played in Colorado on this forum, probably? :D

Well, looking at last season and this season my conclusion it seems like Avs actually win more games when giving Nemeth more icetime, strange but true.

Nemeth's full focus on defensive means less goals against, not always pretty, we all know that, but it works, keeping it simple.

I suspect this will be his last season in Colorado, will be interesting to see if he manages to stay in the NHL or not, the end of this season will be extremely important for him.

Omg...not even close really.

I don't think Nemeth deserves to be bashed, he's generally a pretty solid player out there. He does seem to ice the puck a lot though but I prefer that than low percentage passing attempts that lead to bad turnovers that end up costing us every single time. At least with a faceoff, you get a chance at getting the puck back.

Most hated players in franchise history :
1. Steven Finn, LD (Nordiques - pre HF-Boards era - it's not close)

Title holders by year (HF-Boards era) :
2002-03 - Jeff Shantz, C
2003 -04 - Martin Skoula, LD
2004-05 - (still Skoula - he was hated through the lockout)
2005-06 - Patrice Brisebois, RD
2006-07 - Patrice Brisebois, RD
2007-08 - Brett Clark, LD
2008-09 - Brett Clark, LD
2009-10 - Brett Clark, LD
2010-11 - Matt Hunwick, LD
2011-12 - Matt Hunwick, LD
2012-13 - Greg Zanon, LD
2013-14 - Marc-Andre Cliche, C
2014-15 - Nate Guenin
2015-16 - Nick Holden, LD
2016-17 - Francois Beauchemin, LD
2017-18 - Patrick Nemeth, LD / Colin Wilson, LW

Congrats to those that are multiple champions!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wow, not sure if I ever have seen so much Nemeth bashing going on before, the hatred, new heights. ;-) Is Nemeth the most hated player ever played in Colorado on this forum, probably? :D

Well, looking at last season and this season my conclusion it seems like Avs actually win more games when giving Nemeth more icetime, strange but true.

Nemeth's full focus on defensive means less goals against, not always pretty, we all know that, but it works, keeping it simple.

I suspect this will be his last season in Colorado, will be interesting to see if he manages to stay in the NHL or not, the end of this season will be extremely important for him. Hopefully Flyers pick up him (my second favorit NHL team) because I can't stand his SEL team, AIK. ;-)

Let's blame it on Nemeth, losing or winning.
Nemeth is terrible.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So I get that he's played decently well recently, but Semyon Varlamov has started 12 of the last 14 games.

I will bet Varly starts against St. Louis, but you can't be paying Grubauer this much money to play him once every seven games. He's never going to get into any sort of rhythm, either.
It's very clear Bednar doesn't trust him. And honestly I can't blame him, Grubauer has given this team absolutely nothing, then blames everyone and everything but himself for bad play.

Watch a Varly interview and watch a Grubauer interview that will tell you everything you need to know about their character and how much they care about winning and this team. Varly cares, Grubauer wants a paycheck.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m not a huge fan of Graves. He takes way too many risks for my liking. But he has enough competence to handle a puck and do something with it.

Nemeth on the other hand can’t. Plus Nemeth gets this title as a “safe” defenseman which is so confusing. He’s always jumping in the play and making dumb punches. The problem is that when he does that it doesn’t lead to anything good since he handles the puck like a grenade. If you can’t do anything with a hockey puck, you better f***ing stay at home and play safe all the time.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Knew the Avs had it in the bag when they went up 3-1.

Team has this thing figured out now. Just had to ride Varly

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
So I get that he's played decently well recently, but Semyon Varlamov has started 12 of the last 14 games.

I will bet Varly starts against St. Louis, but you can't be paying Grubauer this much money to play him once every seven games. He's never going to get into any sort of rhythm, either.

Right now Bednar’s in survival mode. He’ll ride Varlamov into the ground because he thinks it gives them the best shot at playoffs. Whether they make it or not, though, I expect Varlamov to walk and for them to simply start over from scratch with Grubauer as the starter next season, maybe with Francouz or a lesser threat at backup. You just have to hope his relationship with Bednar hasn’t soured too much and that his confidence hasn’t been irreparably damaged.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Maybe we were watching a different game, because tonight I didnt see those cross crease passes or defensive breakdowns or horrible turnovers which led to goals against for the most games during the losing stretch, not to mention they didn't take too many penalties and the ones they took they actually did a much better job on PK.
There were less of them because we didn't take as many penalties as the game before. They did do a good job to eliminate those cross-crease passes. But my point is that there were still breakdowns but the difference is that Varly made the saves in those instances (except on the Graves' turnover). All teams have breakdowns. You can't play perfect hockey. It's up to your goalie to bail you out on most of them if you want to have a chance to win. Varly gave us that chance last night.

Reactions: the_fan

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Well if you didn't think there was a noticeable difference in the way MacKinnon played last night and the way he's played the last 10 games then we can safely conclude that we are not watching the same game. Did MacKinnon lose control of the puck even once last night?? It looked like he had it on a string as opposed to previously when he'd bobble it awkwardly and just end up going off the ice.

I saw him and Bednar talking on the bench too. If I had to GUESS - I think they had another private conversation which led to a resolution because Mack's play is night and day when you compare last night to the game against the leafs.
I saw the same Mack...the difference is that he didn't deflate because they didn't lose the lead they had because of poor goaltending or dumb penalties or plays.

You are seeing and assuming way too much into the Bednar/Mack issue. There was never anything there at the level you imply. Mack had a heated moment and it was solved by the next day. Give it up already.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There were less of them because we didn't take as many penalties as the game before. They did do a good job to eliminate those cross-crease passes. But my point is that there were still breakdowns but the difference is that Varly made the saves in those instances (except on the Graves' turnover). All teams have breakdowns. You can't play perfect hockey. It's up to your goalie to bail you out on most of them if you want to have a chance to win. Varly gave us that chance last night.
I agree, no team plays perfect, but the Avs didn't give those grade A scoring chances to the Jets left and right like they've been doing during the losing streak.

Varly did made the saves he had to make except the one goal he allowed, but the whole team played much better. When the Jets made it 2-1 after a turnover and another soft goal by Varly, I thought here we go again, the Avs are gonna fold here, give up the lead and lose again, but they stuck with it and actually played like they really wanted to win instead of just giving up. When they play like this, everyone looks good including goalies that's my point.

Many people put this losing stretch mainly on the goalies but it's a team issue, when they play without confidence and play not to lose, everyone looks bad, its just easier to put the whole blame on the goalies which is not the case.

Reactions: klozge

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Can’t say enough about Greer going all the way across the ice to cross check Tanev. Seeing someone shoot the puck into your net after the whistle gets everyone riled up, but in a stretch like the Avs have been in, it would have been easy to just turn a blind eye and act like they didn’t see it. Especially since the goaltending has been atrocious, who cares to stand up for them. Just one of those signs that not everyone has given up on trying to have each other’s backs.

I actually thought Greer had way more ice time last night than he actually did. I guess because he was actually noticeable, quite a few times, it seemed like he was out there more.

Let’s get one more big boy for that 4th line.
The guy just needs a legitimate opportunity to play, and for the life of me I don't know why it's taken THIS long for Bednar to give that to him when he's been more than willing to play other trash players for significant amounts of time.

I've said before that I don't think too highly of Greer. I think he's slow, and that could end up restricting him to 4th line duties his entire career. That said, I think there's legitimate NHL abilities there, something I don't believe a guy like Sheldon Dries possesses.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Nemeth sure does get a lot of hate lol, he is not even the worst player on the roster. Grubauer has been absolute garbage all season and to make it worse he blames the team for his bs. I hate the idea that he has 2 years left on his contract.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I agree, no team plays perfect, but the Avs didn't give those grade A scoring chances to the Jets left and right like they've been doing during the losing streak.

Varly did made the saves he had to make except the one goal he allowed, but the whole team played much better. When the Jets made it 2-1 after a turnover and another soft goal by Varly, I thought here we go again, the Avs are gonna fold here, give up the lead and lose again, but they stuck with it and actually played like they really wanted to win instead of just giving up. When they play like this, everyone looks good including goalies that's my point.

Many people put this losing stretch mainly on the goalies but it's a team issue, when they play without confidence and play not to lose, everyone looks bad, its just easier to put the whole blame on the goalies which is not the case.
Many people do because the facts back up the eye test. I would say 95% of the people blaming the goalies for that stretch have also acknowledged that there were team issues as well. Nobody is denying that but goalies were certainly by far the main issue. Good team defense will make goalies look good just like the opposite is true. However no teams (not even TBL) could keep winning with consistently getting the level of goaltending the Avs have been getting during that stretch.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
2 points out of the playoffs. That is remarkable after this recent stretch.

I really don't think it's the point difference right now but the number of teams we're fighting with for two spots:

upload_2019-2-15_8-42-40.png

Can the Avs finish top two in that group?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad