GDT: Game 56: Canes @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I've also noticed that Kessel is even having a problem just receiving passes. When they hit his stick they have been EXPLODING off of it or bouncing all over the place. Once that happens he has already lost his time and space and he has to just yeet the puck somewhere or get it stripped. He's just awful right now, no doubt about it.

Reactions: Jakey53 and rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Trade Clayton Keller.

I don't care if he goes to another team and pots 80 goals and 1,000 points.

Trade him now while we can still fool someone into thinking he's an underrated gem and get real assets back from them. Trade him now before we're saddled long-term with a cap-killer contract.

No, no, I know, Hockey Scut Farkus isn't going to trade his precious gem of a 7OA when "it's just a matter of time before he figures it out." But a guy can dream.
Keller+OEL for Matthews+Ceci. Haha

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Keller+OEL for Matthews+Ceci. Haha
As you know I haven't been as big on Matthews as most. He's a little "raw" for the amount of talk he gets. But I'll eat crow, whatever he worked on last summer has had some incredible results, his shot and ability to get it off are top of the league. I still don't think he likes Toronto but will stick to my assertion that he will not be considered trade unless he won't sign in last year of deal. And that package, even the Haha is not enough.

Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
No.... we stopped playing.

Yea, story of the Yotes this year. Do something right and then think they are all that/it's going to be easy but then they take the foot off of the gas and blow it.

This team has lacked that killer instinct for a while now. They get a lead and sit on it instead of just burying the other team. Guess that happens when the core of the team are "nice guy professionals". Yea, they get paid to play and they will come do the motions... but don't ask them to sacrifice to win because that's not in their contract.

rt

May 13, 2004
As you know I haven't been as big on Matthews as most. He's a little "raw" for the amount of talk he gets. But I'll eat crow, whatever he worked on last summer has had some incredible results, his shot and ability to get it off are top of the league. I still don't think he likes Toronto but will stick to my assertion that he will not be considered trade unless he won't sign in last year of deal. And that package, even the Haha is not enough.
It was mostly a Ceci joke.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It was mostly a Ceci joke.
I know. But Ceci issue is now solved. Like many before him he has not been nearly as bad as the screamers claim. However he is at best a 3rd pairing guy worth at best half of his contract.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Against the Oilers, our team D was excellent. Last night, it was horrible in periods 2 and 3. Way too many easy chances and I actually think Raanta played well. I don't get the total inconsistency in our team D? Maybe the Oilers were flat, and Carolina was flat in period 1 last night? Once they played hard, we were pinned in giving up multiple grad "A" chances. I guess we can't expect much with 3 borderline AHL/NHL D in the line up Boosh/Osterle/Ness, and with our top pairing in OEL/Demers out now.

If our team D is like it was last night, we will get smoked the rest of the way, even if Houdini (Kuemper) is back in net. We might just be over matched on D now. OEL being back will help, I hope.....

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yea, story of the Yotes this year. Do something right and then think they are all that/it's going to be easy but then they take the foot off of the gas and blow it.

This team has lacked that killer instinct for a while now. They get a lead and sit on it instead of just burying the other team. Guess that happens when the core of the team are "nice guy professionals". Yea, they get paid to play and they will come do the motions... but don't ask them to sacrifice to win because that's not in their contract.

The most frustrating thing for me has been when they turn on the cruise control when getting the lead and can’t find the off switch after the other guys kick it up another gear.

rt

May 13, 2004
The most frustrating thing for me has been when they turn on the cruise control when getting the lead and can’t find the off switch after the other guys kick it up another gear.
Yep. Last night reminded me so much of a junior game that way. The Coyotes remind me of a junior team, really.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
There's an obvious solution. The stage is set, Hayton will come back and save us from the brink. He is our Savior and this is working out just as planned. Nothing to fear!

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If they decide to play Hayton and leave him in the lineup so he can grow and get better without getting scratched for weeks at a time then I'd say yes. He's the 1 Center you could probably stick between Keller/Schmaltz that would help both of those guys. Hinostroza is a train wreck with his decision making. He's the one guy that should probably be in the pressbox when Hayton returns.

The Soderberg, Richarson, Fischer line is big, physical and has played well together, no reason to shake them up. Hino is the odd man out.

Hall/Dvo/Garland
Keller/Hayton/Schmaltz
Crouse/Stepan/Kessel
Soderberg/Richardson/Fischer

That is probably our best lineup along with having Kuemper back in net.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Anyone but Garland and Chychrun. I don't ****ing care.

Chychrun did not have a good game. Both of Svechnikov’s goals were due to mental lapses on Chychrun’s part and he owned up to it post game.

Chych and Goose are our top pairing now. Meaning they get the other team’s top line most of the time and there are no margins for error anymore.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Against the Oilers, our team D was excellent. Last night, it was horrible in periods 2 and 3. Way too many easy chances and I actually think Raanta played well. I don't get the total inconsistency in our team D? Maybe the Oilers were flat, and Carolina was flat in period 1 last night? Once they played hard, we were pinned in giving up multiple grad "A" chances. I guess we can't expect much with 3 borderline AHL/NHL D in the line up Boosh/Osterle/Ness, and with our top pairing in OEL/Demers out now.

If our team D is like it was last night, we will get smoked the rest of the way, even if Houdini (Kuemper) is back in net. We might just be over matched on D now. OEL being back will help, I hope.....
They get complacent on D with the lead, like Neighborhood Coyote pointed out.
As far as the AHL boys and the D position itself is concerned: Our top line and Goligoski and Chick were on the ice for three of the four - Chick was particularly bad. I wonder when in the HELL he is going to get his head on a swivel in the front of the net because last night was far from the first time it's happened. Like you've said all along, there are portions of his defensive game with warts, big nasty warts that are multiplying in this case. Boy needs some Compound W!

Reactions: cobra427

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
There's an obvious solution. The stage is set, Hayton will come back and save us from the brink. He is our Savior and this is working out just as planned. Nothing to fear!

I assume the plan is to not burn a RFA-year off his timeline. He needs to play max 40? games for this to not count as a year towards UFA. Also, that number of games will include games played in the play-offs, so he will still need to be healthy scratched some more games in the regular season to be available for all possible playoff games, if the plan is to go deep.

Right?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Chychrun did not have a good game. Both of Svechnikov’s goals were due to mental lapses on Chychrun’s part and he owned up to it post game.

Chych and Goose are our top pairing now. Meaning they get the other team’s top line most of the time and there are no margins for error anymore.
I have been saying Chych makes more than his share of mistakes on D and I get flamed for it, last night was a good example. OEL/Demers were getting the top pairings more so, this is what happens.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have been saying Chych makes more than his share of mistakes on D and I get flamed for it, last night was a good example. OEL/Demers were getting the top pairings more so, this is what happens.
Of course Chick makes mistakes on D, but I don't think he is making more than the rest. His D around the net has to improve, but that is the hardest area to defend if your forwards are not coming back.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They get complacent on D with the lead, like Neighborhood Coyote pointed out.
As far as the AHL boys and the D position itself is concerned: Our top line and Goligoski and Chick were on the ice for three of the four - Chick was particularly bad. I wonder when in the HELL he is going to get his head on a swivel in the front of the net because last night was far from the first time it's happened. Like you've said all along, there are portions of his defensive game with warts, big nasty warts that are multiplying in this case. Boy needs some Compound W!
Chick had a bad game for sure, and he admitted as much, but he wasn't alone in that area. I think his weakest part of his game is in front of the net, like you said, but overall I'm happy with his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad