GDT: Game 56: Canes @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Jeez I was going to gush over Carolina's roster until I saw how much they are paying Staal and Neiderreiter. Stepan and Schmaltz 2.0

Reactions: AJ171181

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
Scratch Phil "just wide" Kessel, give Keller only 4th line minutes, bring Barret Hayton in and try to hold hold this awesome Duo Hall and Garland. If we just could have more of this players...

Reactions: moosemeister

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
The frustrating thing is that the average fan can see that Kessel won't shoot, holds on to the puck to long (after he retrieves it from being unable to take a pass) and is unable/unwilling to do anything physical. I am just assuming that Tocchet can see the same thing. Tocchet's prior experience and most likely campaigning for the Kessel trade has made it so that he is unwilling to hurt Kessel's feelings and/or limit minutes or bench him due to that being an admission that he was wrong. A sad situation. Keller is just to small/weak to be of any use unless it is off the rush. Keller will be a tweeter 2nd/3rd line winger unless he can get stronger and be able to win battles along the boards. It is just amazing that when the whistle is blown, Garland is within 5 feet of the goal but Keller is somewhere around the top of the circle. Garland scores off his face. The only way Keller will ever get hit in the face is if the opposing defenseman hits him on a clearing pass.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Powerplay looked much better with Schmaltz up on the first unit. 3 guys who can handle the puck and make quick decisions works decently. Oesterle is serviceable, but OEL or Goligoski are better in the long run.

Good first period, reliably lets the opponent adapt, but at least had some pushback tonight once momentum swung the other way. Moral victory I guess. Third period better than most of late.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I can't see the whole play as I can watch on TV, but the breakouts from the defensive zone are still lacking. Without having done any counting, it sure seems like they almost always default to passing it back to farthest back defenseman rather than pushing it forwards as soon as some one gains possession. It lets the opposing defense get set and establish a forecheck. I feel like their anemic to immediately turning and going unless they see a breakaway chance, and for a team that's predicated on counter-attacking, you'd think the forwards would be skating to get open immediately. Again, I can't see the whole play developing, but they seem to get hemmed in by the opposing forecheck often and I wonder if it's mostly due to the forwards not coming back or getting open.

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
You cant set the targets too high, if many of your top 6 players are struggling every game.

Schmatz, thats ok, inconsistent player with good moments.
Keller?? ... absolute invisible. So sad he made his best nhl games in his first 30 games.
Kessel?.... i am glad if mr hotdog can hold himself on the ice. F* joke.

Kuemper already injured... so, not many nhl teams could handle things better with this disappointments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tocchet seems to expect OEL and maybe Kuemper might be back this road trip (7 days). Demers won’t make the trip. His injury is more serious than they originally thought.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I fully expect that the Coyotes will have to get AT LEAST 5 of the 8pts available on this road trip if they want to come home still clinging to that 8th and final playoff spot.

Reactions: AJ171181

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
I fully expect that the Coyotes will have to get AT LEAST 5 of the 8pts available on this road trip if they want to come home still clinging to that 8th and final playoff spot.

yop, minimum. (Tough road trip but we also lost most of the „easier“ games in the past)

26 games left, i think the Yotes need around 30-34 points to play more hockey in april.

Get Kuemper back and and show some big nuts Coyotes!

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Also, he should have called a TO after the Canes scored the 2nd goal to tie it up...the momentum of the game had shifted and a time out to settle the team down probably would have been the best coaching thing to do...again, just saying!

Has he even used a TO all season? None that I can recall.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Phil Kessel ladies and gentlemen! This is how I play hockey, just slapping it at the net.
SmartSelect_20200206-235410_Gallery.gif

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Also, he should have called a TO after the Canes scored the 2nd goal to tie it up...the momentum of the game had shifted and a time out to settle the team down probably would have been the best coaching thing to do...again, just saying!
Exactly right.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Trade Clayton Keller.

I don't care if he goes to another team and pots 80 goals and 1,000 points.

Trade him now while we can still fool someone into thinking he's an underrated gem and get real assets back from them. Trade him now before we're saddled long-term with a cap-killer contract.

No, no, I know, Hockey Scut Farkus isn't going to trade his precious gem of a 7OA when "it's just a matter of time before he figures it out." But a guy can dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad