Post-Game Talk: Game 55: Hawks def. Canucks - 4-3 (OT) (Biega, Leivo, Pettersson)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The bias toward Boeser is weird, since the ASG. He look pretty much identical to his rookie season.
Lack of top end speed but smart with the puck, dangerous shot and underrated pass

Didn't remember people calling him "cant process" "average"
Not every youngster is EP

I’m not saying (nor do I think I said) he was poor prior to the break. He’s had some rough moments, but he’s still contributing at a near point a game pace which is what he’s needed for. I just think he looks a bit more energized since the break, is all.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I’m not saying (nor do I think I said) he was poor prior to the break. He’s had some rough moments, but he’s still contributing at a near point a game pace which is what he’s needed for. I just think he looks a bit more energized since the break, is all.
Oh yeah, I wasn't referring to you specifically

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
We'll never know but it's pretty clear to me he was playing thru an injury (granted that's just my speculation).

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
EP40 with a goal. That’s all I care about. These losses are good. Will kill any thought JB may have about acquiring bad contracts to make a push at the deadline.

Once the teams catch up in games played we are only a couple losses out of a top 5 pick.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
so watched a good chunk the game, and really mixed in my feelings. Want pettersson and Boeser and Horvat to do well. can't decide if I want to win these games. Beating CHI is always nice, but if they win less chance of a lottery pick for them.

Can't see any advantage in the Canucks making the playoffs, the only winner will be Aquaman. Still think we need another piece or 2, and will soon be a contender.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks were probably the better team and with any kind of PP (even given the tying goal) should have won. Chicago defense is tragic and not seeing Forsling as a big loss.

Good

Boeser - is playing better. Got people of the puck in the offensive zone and got on the end of many chances. Getting around the ice better

Biega - every game he gets he always brings a ton of effort. His goal was key in allowing the team to comeback and get something. Thought he pushed the play in the offensive zone and was decent around his net.

Levio - player shows some good dekes and power moves low in the offensive end. Maybe the best Canuck forward in this game. You wonder if he can sustain that kind of play

Stecher -lot of talk about Hutton but there should be more about Stecher. Much less error prone and sustains a more intense level of play. Shows real good quickness in getting on check and good strength in puck battles. Might have been the best defenseman since Edler was lost. Developing a good transition game.

Hutton - playing a ocean of time (over half the game) and was mostly good. Having to play more on the PK and that is not a big strength of his game. I think at this point being asked to do a little more than he presently ready for.

Not Good

Pouliot - Play where he stands behind the net and waits for some sort of breakout to be set up and then skates up to his blue line and ices the puck about says it all. Game can not be slow enough for Poo.

Tanev - struggling without Edler. Got beat one on one way too much and even break outs were sloppy.

Others

Pettersson - great shot and thought for sure he was going to score on the OT breakaway. But overall not a great effort. Looks tired and you wish he might have skipped the All Star game.

Goldobin - again close to getting the job done but never did. Well shy of being a complete player

Eriksson - thought he was effective in this game even tho' he couldn't get the puck in the net. Picking up some lately but bad spell seems never far away.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning and the Canucks need to block out the standings and focus on the bigger picture. And the 'bigger picture' is that they have guys that have to be moved out either at the TDL or in the off-season. This is still a deeply flawed hockey team that won't improve until they change out some of their personnel.

If there are deals out there that make sense for Tanev, Sutter, Gudbranson or Eriksson they have to pursue them, even if it means taking salary back. They've got the cap-room to do it.

If Quinn Hughes is only 'add' after the TDL, then it'll be a disappointing season no matter what the standings say.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Sucks to lose it at the end like that..but credit too them for coming back from 2-0 and 3-2 deficits...They were unlucky not too pop a few at the beginning of the game...Special teams sucked.

Leivo was great,I really underestimated his skill.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
I thought Hutton struggled again against a high-paced team. Generally dreadful on the PP breakout, and I had no clue what he was doing on that 3 on 1 board battle on the PP that the Canucks somehow lost. Still much improved from last season.

Thought Pettersson looked a little lethargic this game, but his shot can still change the game in a second.

Boeser can get a little too casual sometimes and look lead-footed, but he actually processes the game at a very high speed to me. Zero concerns about this player moving forward; love his playing style, very creative and can turn up the intensity when it matters.

All around decent effort considering Edler is out. Schmaltz for Strome (forget Perlini) looks like another signature Chayka gaffe at this point.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
so watched a good chunk the game, and really mixed in my feelings. Want pettersson and Boeser and Horvat to do well. can't decide if I want to win these games. Beating CHI is always nice, but if they win less chance of a lottery pick for them.

Can't see any advantage in the Canucks making the playoffs, the only winner will be Aquaman. Still think we need another piece or 2, and will soon be a contender.

One big advantage of making the playoffs would be that slightly bad plays and slightly good plays would get magnified and everyone (including the dimwits in management) would realize how horrible some of these players are (Gudbranson, Pouliot, Granlund, Sutter, Schaller). They would be exposed for what they are, utter garbage.

Reactions: Slapshot_11

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Benning and the Canucks need to block out the standings and focus on the bigger picture. And the 'bigger picture' is that they have guys that have to be moved out either at the TDL or in the off-season. This is still a deeply flawed hockey team that won't improve until they change out some of their personnel.

If there are deals out there that make sense for Tanev, Sutter, Gudbranson or Eriksson they have to pursue them, even if it means taking salary back. They've got the cap-room to do it.

If Quinn Hughes is only 'add' after the TDL, then it'll be a disappointing season no matter what the standings say.

I think you nailed it. All of the players you listed should be available if there is a decent return. We are going nowhere this year, and those are the 4 that could have some value. It would be great to adda prospect and 3 or 4 draft picks ... then maybe make a splash at the draft moving up to get a big name. Of course, it would be nicer to actually win a lottery ... or two.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Neat. I had to go out for a bit so I PVR'ed from the halfway point on... once again forgetting to add extra time. Canucks down by one... on the power play... pull the goalie... two man advantage... sphincter clenching, we've got them hemmed in their ow........ black. :mad:

Glad to have the point and glad it was Pettersson who is in my pool. I still have to wait for the highlights at 10 to see the goal.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The bias toward Boeser is weird, since the ASG. He look pretty much identical to his rookie season.
Lack of top end speed but smart with the puck, dangerous shot and underrated pass

Didn't remember people calling him "cant process" "average"
Not every youngster is EP

He's still bobbling the puck more than I remember and not carrying it or shooting it with the same confidence as he was at his best last year, but he certainly looks better than early in the season, with more jump.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Hawks are supposed to be rebuilding after all their cups , but they move the puck as good as anyone in the NHL still.

I guess they won’t really rebuild until Kane / Towes / Keith / Seanrook are gone.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Neat. I had to go out for a bit so I PVR'ed from the halfway point on... once again forgetting to add extra time. Canucks down by one... on the power play... pull the goalie... two man advantage... sphincter clenching, we've got them hemmed in their ow........ black. :mad:

Glad to have the point and glad it was Pettersson who is in my pool. I still have to wait for the highlights at 10 to see the goal.

If he would have scored on his breakaway in OT I would have literally jumped off my couch. Ahhhhh so close.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Boeser played one of his best games in a Canucks uniform tonight. Generating chance after chance for himself and linemates -- I counted about 8 grade-A chances that came from plays he made. Was good along the boards, had a turnover here or there, but his vision and smarts dictated the bulk of our offensive attack (along with Leivo).

Pettersson made a fair share of magic again. Hawks had two men converging him on every PK, but they let him slip for one second and he made them pay with that blistering clapper. Played very responsibly in his own zone, got us out of a number of defensive jams with his shiftiness. Made some cool "how does he even think of that" passes and dekes. Shine's not coming off any time soon, but it's all eyes on him now.

Goldobin made a turnover at the blueline that I thought would get him benched, but beyond that he was energized and creative, was close to making some things happen. I just really like him with EP, they read off each other very well, and I don't mean that in a "Crosby with Dominik Simon" kind of way. Hope it starts translating to points soon. It's almost comical how unlucky he's been this year.

Virtanen's looked great this year, even in the stretches he's not scoring he's making responsible, team-first decisions. Been a while since I've seen him miss the net on a high shot from the far wall. Now he'll throw it down low, look for the trailer, or try to hit the goalie's pads. Made some excellent passes from the d-zone, and made a great neutral zone play to set up Leivo's goal. He'll be a key to our transition going forward.

Leivo was looking nice tonight, noticeable with his dangles, but it was his board work and team play that kept the team engine revved tonight. Spun off Seabrook to keep the play alive so the game could be tied. Best Canuck on the ice.

Biega, Stecher, and Hutton looked good, at least as good as could be expected from them. Biega's still got that Shane O'Brien "I coulda been a Bobby Orr" streak to him that occasionally makes him look a fool, but he almost cashed in on it tonight. Got a goal to show for a solid effort. Made some nice, un-panicked defensive plays.

Gudbranson got absolutely burned tonight. Passes just seem to go right through him. And his passes just explode in unpredictable directions.

Pouliot and Granlund gave some real head-shaker efforts tonight. Tons of plays that just made you wonder...."why? Why are you doing this? Why are you here?" Basically the same story for the past two years with those guys.

Tanev often looks like a man on an island and is getting victimized for it. Gets the toughest matchups, gets no help from Gud, and gets deployed in overtime when he's already gassed. I didn't like the play he made on the OT goal, shouldn't have committed the stick, should have kept the angle and kept the player away from the middle. But it was a desperation play directly resulting from having logged too many arduous minutes.

Bottom sixers weren't really noticeable. Nice to see Motte's effort rewarded with a drawn penalty. Roussel does as he always does. Beagle was bleh. Eriksson was bleh. Sutter hit a post, but was bleh.

Overall, I was pretty cheesed that the good efforts got outweighed by the bad ones. Felt like Hawks didn't really have much business winning. But that's how it usually goes when your defensive depth isn't up to task. It's really hard to outscore the anchors on this squad. Credit to Delia for stopping so many huge chances.

Last edited:

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
One big advantage of making the playoffs would be that slightly bad plays and slightly good plays would get magnified and everyone (including the dimwits in management) would realize how horrible some of these players are (Gudbranson, Pouliot, Granlund, Sutter, Schaller). They would be exposed for what they are, utter garbage.
I dunno, Sbisa seemed to get a free pass from our coaches even after Bob Hartley utterly abused him back in the '15 series. To be fair, Sbisa did give G5 of the finals (and Cup) to the Caps and now he's perpetually riding the pine in Brooklyn so maybe there's a grain of truth to what you're saying. But that also could just be because Barry Trotz is, you know, a good coach.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
After a string of more games with more goals against (watch that cross-ice pass to a player behind you Gudbranson!)

Gudbranson is now the worst defenseman in the league in goals against per 60 minutes.
Gudbranson is the 2nd worst defenseman in the league in scoring chances against per 60 minutes.
Gudbranson is the 2nd worst defenseman in the league in GF% (difference between goals scored and goals against while on the ice).

For those that like ozone start %, he's 79th out of 170 defenseman with 500 minutes or more in ozone% (middle of the pack).

Just keeps getting worse, sigh.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
In regards to this game, I thought Stecher and Biega were the two best defensemen...which, If we want to be a contender, is a big problem. Gudbranson and Pouliot both need upgrades.

Hutton played the most minutes but he had to get saved on multiple occasions by Stecher's good stick and Markstrom's glove. Definitely not good enough to be a 25 minute defenseman but the Canucks don't really have a choice right now.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That's the thing is that he's getting worse. This season has probably been the worst of his career so far. He's just been atrocious. Nowhere near nhl calibre. I dunno if you'd even see a difference in results if you swapped Luke Schenn for him.

The Canucks absolutely needed to trade him last season. Not doing so might be the dumbest mistake of Benning's tenure so far all things considered.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's the thing is that he's getting worse. This season has probably been the worst of his career so far. He's just been atrocious. Nowhere near nhl calibre. I dunno if you'd even see a difference in results if you swapped Luke Schenn for him.

The Canucks absolutely needed to trade him last season. Not doing so might be the dumbest mistake of Benning's tenure so far all things considered.
So many similarities with Luke Schenn. #5 pick in 2008 vs the #3 pick in 2010. Both played as teenagers in the NHL. Game got too fast for Schenn to be effective. Been bouncing around at a low salary for the past 3-4 seasons. Expect Gudbranson to end up the same way when his deal expires.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
So many similarities with Luke Schenn. #5 pick in 2008 vs the #3 pick in 2010. Both played as teenagers in the NHL. Game got too fast for Schenn to be effective. Been bouncing around at a low salary for the past 3-4 seasons. Expect Gudbranson to end up the same way when his deal expires.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Gudbranson once he is finally let go. Sbisa did sorta get playing time in Vegas before the league finally figured out he sucked. I suspect Guddy will have a longer rope because Canadian but we will see.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
i actually think Guddy would do well in a cup run.Big enough to take the grind, make a decent 7th when inevitable injuries show up (been there done that) .... really think he could return conditional 2nd or a 3rd. He's not protecting our vulnerable enough to keep him (Petersson, Granlund Bearcheese etc ...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad