Post-Game Talk: Game 55: Hawks def. Canucks - 4-3 (OT) (Biega, Leivo, Pettersson)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sutter takes a stupid, selfish and undisciplined penalty in the first period which put Canucks down two men and directly led to a 2-0 deficit. If Goldy pulled a play like that he'd be riding the pine next to DiPietro for the entire game.

I'm frankly getting tired of some of these 'veteran' players sucking night after night with no accountability. Meantime a guy like Biega sits game after game, despite being one of the best players on the ice tonight.

The edict needs to go out--produce or else. We'll cut your ice time or elevate somebody from Utica.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
At this point there's a case for Benning to be fired just for the numerous mistakes in regards to Gudbranson. First, the terrible trade. Second, not realizing your mistake and trading him when you had the chance and received offers. Third, re-signing him to an overpriced contract.

These mistakes are hidden because they're all filed under "Gudbranson" and not three separate guys, but these are three massive mistakes.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm frankly getting tired of some of these 'veteran' players sucking night after night with no accountability

I applaud your persistence. I think most of us have been tired of these "veteran" pro-scouting additions for years...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
i actually think Guddy would do well in a cup run.Big enough to take the grind, make a decent 7th when inevitable injuries show up (been there done that) .... really think he could return conditional 2nd or a 3rd. He's not protecting our vulnerable enough to keep him (Petersson, Granlund Bearcheese etc ...)

Who cares if he can "take the grind" if he's porous at defense? Being a warm body is useless - there are plenty of those around the league that can be a warm body, fill in for a few important games, and not leak goals.

Any contender that trades for him to be their 7th defensemen is playing with fire. He should be an 8th or 9th defensemen on a elite team. He's a last, last resort player.

Reactions: Canucks5551

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I sort of got the impression the team was travel fatigued. I wonder if they got hung up somewhere?

Was Chiocago shooting at Markstrom's head? That's cold.

Is Virtanen showing some maturity with the puck? I thought I saw some glimpses?

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I sort of got the impression the team was travel fatigued. I wonder if they got hung up somewhere?

Was Chiocago shooting at Markstrom's head? That's cold.

Is Virtanen showing some maturity with the puck? I thought I saw some glimpses?
I was very impressed with virtanens game tonight, saw those glimpses that you mentioned as well. Jake is transforming right in front of our eyes.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
i actually think Guddy would do well in a cup run.Big enough to take the grind, make a decent 7th when inevitable injuries show up (been there done that) .... really think he could return conditional 2nd or a 3rd. He's not protecting our vulnerable enough to keep him (Petersson, Granlund Bearcheese etc ...)

So AHLberts at champagne prices.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Please god, let someone want Pouliot, Gudbransen and Granlund (and Gagner and Sutter and Schaller for that matter) for playoff depth at TDL.

I would gladly accept a bag of pucks in return.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
We've dropped to 30% chance to make the playoffs after last night's results. Going into the game Edler went down, we were at 45%.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Please god, let someone want Pouliot, Gudbransen and Granlund (and Gagner and Sutter and Schaller for that matter) for playoff depth at TDL.

I would gladly accept a bag of pucks in return.
I still think there's a small chance for a surprise Sutter trade (most likely to Boston), but it will be much easier to trade him in the off-season. Guy is still playing very effective hockey if you're able to notice the little things he does, but with some injury troubles, it appears a lot of his strong play last season has been easily forgotten. At the top of his game, he could likely return a late 1st or very good prospect, so you wait for that if you're smart. Let Gaudette play in the AHL; he's only played 11 games down there.

All for a Gudbranson trade, but at this time, when he's at his lowest level of confidence, there's little point. He still adds an element to the d-corps that they don't have, and is a good PK-er. They can only hope he finds his role in a revamped d-corps next season, or Tallon overpays to bring him back. Still think he could return a 2nd.

Granlund might draw some interest in a player for player trade, or they just keep him as a useful depth piece in his Swiss army knife role. Value is probably a 3rd-4th.

Pouliot continues to show flashes of offensive talent, but can't process the game quickly enough. Most likely won't be retained, and can't seem him having value beyond a 5th-7th, depending on the desperation of the team.

Point is that impatience is the wrong course of action here, no matter how good it might feel. Benning knows this and will let his assets go at the right time when they're at their max value, just like he's done in the past. Looking forward to a quiet deadline.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I still think there's a small chance for a surprise Sutter trade (most likely to Boston), but it will be much easier to trade him in the off-season. Guy is still playing very effective hockey if you're able to notice the little things he does, but with some injury troubles, it appears a lot of his strong play last season has been easily forgotten. At the top of his game, he could likely return a late 1st or very good prospect, so you wait for that if you're smart. Let Gaudette play in the AHL; he's only played 11 games down there.

All for a Gudbranson trade, but at this time, when he's at his lowest level of confidence, there's little point. He still adds an element to the d-corps that they don't have, and is a good PK-er. They can only hope he finds his role in a revamped d-corps next season, or Tallon overpays to bring him back. Still think he could return a 2nd.

Granlund might draw some interest in a player for player trade, or they just keep him as a useful depth piece in his Swiss army knife role. Value is probably a 3rd-4th.

Pouliot continues to show flashes of offensive talent, but can't process the game quickly enough. Most likely won't be retained, and can't seem him having value beyond a 5th-7th, depending on the desperation of the team.

Point is that impatience is the wrong course of action here, no matter how good it might feel. Benning knows this and will let his assets go at the right time when they're at their max value, just like he's done in the past. Looking forward to a quiet deadline.

Well, I'll agree that Sutter... when he's firing on all cylinders... can be a useful player and would probably have the greatest value of the group (although I'm figuring a 2nd or a B prospect is the best return we can hope for).

But as for patience, I think Benning and Green have shown the rest of that motley crew more patience than they deserve. They are all pretty much what they are, borderline depth players at best. Best case scenario, we can package a couple of them for a 3rd.

Reactions: Hit the post

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
We've dropped to 30% chance to make the playoffs after last night's results. Going into the game Edler went down, we were at 45%.
Those "chance" projections never make any actual sense to me. Like if one game changes it so much....then why try to use it to project the thirty games after?

Like don't get me wrong I don't think our chances of making it are very high either...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->