Post-Game Talk: GAME 54 - The Bruins fall to second place - Kraken 4 BRUINS 1

bwdrums1

Dec 14, 2017
They’re not tough to play against and the TD Garden sounds like a morgue because the on ice product is about as interesting as long division.

I love this team and I’ll always love this team, but I’d be lying if I said I get excited for Bruins games like I used to.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: nORRis8

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
If Toronto even makes it. They still sit in a wild card spot and NJ, NYI are going have strong games down the stretch. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Leafs miss it by a few points. If Matthews gets hurt or they cannot shore up their goaltending and D…..they are in trouble. They aren’t a Cup threat and I am surprised how they have taken a step back from LY
Screenshot_20240216-075643-196.png

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Another concerning thing for me is the 4th line. Everyone is plug and play, someone sits, someone comes in, someone sits, someone comes in. That line isn't consistent in terms of who's on it. How are you going to find a consistent play when there's a revolving door of players rotating in and out? Just frustrating.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
When you temper your expectations, it’s easier to avoid disappointment.

• I’ve been burned by this organization being “regular season heroes” only to get bounced in round 1 way too often in my lifetime.

• The eyeball test tells you on paper they aren’t a Cup contender, especially up front. Too many guys slotted out of position.

I expected them to barely miss the playoffs, and the fact that they’re in the position in the standings they currently occupy is frankly pretty awesome and a testimony to the guys they do have stepping up.

To channel Felger, it’s nice to have a hockey season.

But just look at their top 6 forwards and tell me, what do you expect?
This is spot on for me... They have a few holes that just can't be filled with no cap. Need a top 2 centre, someone to play with McAvoy, a banger for the bottom six and more scoring depth. Just don't have enough of what's needed.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Agree with a bunch here as well that the 4th line isn't cutting it. Too bad they weren't so tight against the cap that they can't just bring up certain players and send some down. This is a season of purgatory... Can't make trades, can't pull up much from Providence, can't trade a goalie. Other than some depth grit moves don't see much happening. May be for the best. Trade Jake, Linus in the offseason. Let the rentals walk. See what's left and in the system then fill holes with the money you have.
F: Marchand, Pasta, Zacha, Coyle, Geekie, Freddy
D: McAvoy, Lindholm, Wotherspoon
G: Swayman
Insert: Lysell, Beecher, Lohrei

The rest can go and I wouldn't shed a tear.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
They’re not moving Lindholm or Carlo lol
Then they ain't getting anyone for the Top 6

I've been saying for 5 years to trade Carlo and after last night's tumble to cause a goal, now's the time! If Sweeney trades either goalie he should be fired, they are the only players that show up every night, and the sole reason this team is not fighting with the Sharks for top draft pick!
The only reason why I say goalies is that you can only play one at a time. So, if you're serious about this team making a run for the cup, this risk would strengthen the team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
lindholm has been such a disappointment goi ng on a full year now. wtf happened to this guy?
what a brain dead decision on the pk game tying goal.

He hasn't been right since last season late- wasn't it just before the playoffs that he got hurt and they kept rolling him out? I can't remember exactly, because Ive blocked a lot of that time out for mental health reason :D

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
lindholm has been such a disappointment goi ng on a full year now. wtf happened to this guy?
what a brain dead decision on the pk game tying goal.

He is playing some of the toughest defensive minutes in the NHL. Last year he shared the burden with Forbort on the left side. I think it’s more a function of him playing D a lot more than an actually drop in quality of play. Now, I’ll grant that he has less of an attack mindset with the increase in defensive minutes and that makes him less dynamic, but I also think that it’s understandable in his current role that has happened.

Reactions: KWbruin and Ladyfan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Kraken's 3 goals can be blamed on 3 players: Frederic, Carlo, Wotherspoon.

Marchand had a terrible game.

4th line actually had a pretty good game. Had some real chances.

Marchand, Geekie and Coyle all -2.

McAvoy may have had his best game of the season.
He is playing some of the toughest defensive minutes in the NHL. Last year he shared the burden with Forbort on the left side. I think it’s more a function of him playing D a lot more than an actually drop in quality of play. Now, I’ll grant that he has less of an attack mindset with the increase in defensive minutes and that makes him less dynamic, but I also think that it’s understandable in his current role that has happened.

Lindholm has average 39 seconds more per game this season.

Though his offensive has drop, he's stil +19. That's top 10 in NHL for defensemen.

He's not hurting his team.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Last year's Bruins with Hathaway, Orlov, Bertuzzi, Nosek, yes.
This year we have I would say the same amount of wussiness as them. To beat the leafs the Panthers hit the crap out of them and forechecked like crazy which made their 46 million dollar core-4 disappear.

We on the other hand do not hit and we certainly do not forecheck. Generally we surrender 2/3rds of the ice when the other team has the puck.

It'd be close.Too close.
It was close everytime.Bruins just need to get that PK firing again.Leafs backend can't handle Bruins forcheck .

Another concerning thing for me is the 4th line. Everyone is plug and play, someone sits, someone comes in, someone sits, someone comes in. That line isn't consistent in terms of who's on it. How are you going to find a consistent play when there's a revolving door of players rotating in and out? Just frustrating.
Your definitely right here and it has to be fixed from player standpoint ( roster)and decision making.

Reactions: Gordoff

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It was close everytime.Bruins just need to get that PK firing again.Leafs backend can't handle Bruins forcheck .

Your definitely right here and it has to be fixed from player standpoint ( roster)and decision making.
The Bruins don't forecheck though.

They're concerned about making a play at the blue line and don't like to get their hands dirty down low.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019

In my eyes that's a big part of the problem especially against good tight checking teams . The Bruins like to get in the offensive zone curl back and work thru the points. How many times do we see odd man rushes fizzle as the puck carrier circles back . Its almost as if the team is afraid that an odd man rush and missed shot on net will turn into an odd man rush the other way .

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
No chance this team will be a serious cup contender. No cap space to do anything that will provide an impact, nothing great in the minors and no real serious takers for the players we are trying to make available. Nobody is going to knock down the doors for Forbort, Gryz, Frederick or even Debrusk. Everyone also knows the situation we are in with DS backing us right into the corner.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Didn't not try, it's a double negative. :P

They had effort and could have won the game, but it slipped away. They could have used a bit more luck. Even in a loss, they looked a lot better than they did against the Flames and Capitals.

I do think the Bruins could use more scoring and a physical presence in the bottom 6 and on D.
iu

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The Bruins don't forecheck though.

They're concerned about making a play at the blue line and don't like to get their hands dirty down low.
Yes they do .I guess u just think they fluked 74 pts do you Sheppy come on now.I think whats killing them is special teams & smarts .Some puck luck would help too.That Eberle goal last night you can clearly see Lindholm not working hard enough and just gliding watching him tap rebound in.He should have been there 100%.The blocked shot by Wotherspoon was a big mistake.They need to get that PK fixed badly and hopefully get some puck luck.They drilled a couple posts and JVR the puck slid wide.The boys will get out of this Sheppy have faith.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
No chance this team will be a serious cup contender. No cap space to do anything that will provide an impact, nothing great in the minors and no real serious takers for the players we are trying to make available. Nobody is going to knock down the doors for Forbort, Gryz, Frederick or even Debrusk. Everyone also knows the situation we are in with DS backing us right into the corner.

You never know.

An 8th seed went to the finals last season. Were they considered a serious contender going in?

Certianly things would have to break in their favor, but its far from impossible.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
You never know.

An 8th seed went to the finals last season. Were they considered a serious contender going in?

Certianly things would have to break in their favor, but its far from impossible.
Yea especially when the teams like Florida and Leafs ( way it's setup)they see each other enough that they just play tight games against each other.Goaltender can steal games too.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yes they do .I guess u just think they fluked 74 pts do you Sheppy come on now.I think whats killing them is special teams & smarts .Some puck luck would help too.That Eberle goal last night you can clearly see Lindholm not working hard enough and just gliding watching him tap rebound in.He should have been there 100%.The blocked shot by Wotherspoon was a big mistake.They need to get that PK fixed badly and hopefully get some puck luck.They drilled a couple posts and JVR the puck slid wide.The boys will get out of this Sheppy have faith.
I'll have faith when they prove they can put together consistent efforts. They haven't.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
I agree 100%!

So knowing this……and we know it won’t happen…..but Sweeney should rock the boat and make moves now/deadline. Move Jake as we know what we have with him and going 10 games with no points doesn’t cut it. Go get something for him. Look to next year. Trade a goalie as teams will overpay (aka draft choices which we need)…..and on it goes. Don’t trade at the draft as you won’t get as much for players as you would with the annual overpay at the deadline. Now there is no chance this happens as it’s the centennial year and all that but that’s what I would do. Decide now who should be here next year, plan for a bigger cap and who you want to sign and get ready to win the Cup in 2025

All that being said you can see why I’m not a GM! LOL!!!

Reactions: KWbruin and Gordoff

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
You never know.

To me, absolutely. Said it before the playoffs started too. They were built for a long run. Absolutely hated the match up for the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad